Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: schoeps mk4 -> Actives -> VMS 02 ib -> ??????  (Read 4832 times)

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
schoeps mk4 -> Actives -> VMS 02 ib -> ??????
« on: January 15, 2006, 12:38:15 PM »
Help me fill in the question marks.  I ran the schoeps last night for the first time line in on the JB3.  I had the gain setting on the VMS box set to 20 db (its lowest setting) and the gain setting on the JB3 to +6.  On the recording there's all sorts of artifacts from the hard drive or whatever else causes the noise in the JB3 recordings.  This is not going to work.  Here's what I'm thinking.

-> AD-20 -> JB3  The cheapest option, as there's a few in the YS.  What worries me though is the 17 db of gain the AD-20 adds.  Can I use attenuators somehow to combat this?

-> R1  I hear the A-D is pretty good in the R1.  I'd also be able to get into 24 bit recordings.  $700 is kinda tough to wrestle up though, after dropping 2k on schoeps though.

-> SBM-1 -> JB3.  I used this before, and was happy with the results.  I just concerned in dropping $400 on 16 bit technology.

other (you suggest.)  Help me make a decision on what to do.  Also, if anyone has an AD-20, or a sbm-1 with an optical out (or 7-pin->optical cable) or anything else I can put between the VMS and the JB3 for sunday's moe show and Tuesdays Derek Trucks band,  and is willing to lend it to me,  let me know asap

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
Re: schoeps mk4 -> Actives -> VMS 02 ib -> ??????
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 02:32:41 PM »
The R-1 is not even close to $700.

FWIW, I got mine shipped for $380. Of course, it's not the oade-mod one, but I don't really think you need that.

That would be my suggestion, but I was never a big fan of the jb3 in the first place.

EDIT: I suppose the extra was for a CF card... my bad. You can get a 4gb Kingston for $200, so your total would still be around $600, unless you insist on getting the oade-mod which I think is unnecessary.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 02:41:09 PM by aberg83 »

RebelRebel

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 02:45:39 PM »
722 ;D

No really..everyone I know that has the R-1 really likes it. I think it may be your best bet. What ive heard of it in the chain sounds really nice.

what , no microtracker? :P

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 02:47:02 PM »
d00d, turn the gain off on the JB3, and just run in at +0 and you'll be golden you won't get artifacts then.

if you have to grab some attenuators to run infront of the vm pre, so the lowest setting is zero and work from there.

If you have to get an external A/d the SBM-1 would be perfect, the A-20 has an automatic 17db of gain or something like that, so it won't do you any good really.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 02:50:29 PM by Sanjay »
mics & cameras

Offline dgodwin

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 03:56:30 PM »
The microtracker is too noisy, and not stable yet.  Maybe sometime in the future.

The VMS gain is 20 db, 30db, or 40db.  I guess I could've run it at 30db and ran slightly negative on the jb3.  Maybe I'll run some tests.  I may just get an R1, and yes I figured $700 for both the card and the deck.  Who's got the best price, and is the oade mod worth it (I know your feelings Andrew.)

RebelRebel

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 03:59:52 PM »
The microtracker is too noisy, and not stable yet.  Maybe sometime in the future.

The VMS gain is 20 db, 30db, or 40db.  I guess I could've run it at 30db and ran slightly negative on the jb3.  Maybe I'll run some tests.  I may just get an R1, and yes I figured $700 for both the card and the deck.  Who's got the best price, and is the oade mod worth it (I know your feelings Andrew.)

Evil Taper is running an oade mod r-1 as well. May want to PM him and see what he thinks.

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 04:01:57 PM »

if you run negative you are likely to get noise from the pre as well.

Look for a simple 1/8" stereo cable with an attenuator in it, i know they exist i just don't know from where... sound professionals maybe?
mics & cameras

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 09:30:18 PM »
modSBM.  I just ran this with some 4Vs and was absolutely blown away by the results.  If you get this 'old' piece of 16bit tech, it should not run you more than 400 (some have gone for 350 or less).  the pluses are you can stealth with it (and have a small package like the R1).  I am still very impressed with the modSBM, I am not abandoning this until I leave Japan since I don't have a proper home computer to do real post-processing work with, meaning no 24bit for another year or two at least.

Remember, you run the vms at 30dB of gain, the max spl will be like 110dB.  Not sure if that makes a difference or not to you but I ran the vms at 20dB and had the modSBM at 4.7 on the dial at a very loud show.

Offline dgodwin

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 11:25:50 PM »
thanks for the suggestion.  I'd also have to get it modded to add an optical output, or pick up one of the 7 pin -> toslink cables that Fozzy or Todd R have made, so that would be another $100ish.  Another taper who runs the VMS told me he runs it at 20 db exclusively, so that's what I had planned on doing.  Decisions.. .decisions... hmm

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 11:31:08 PM »
Sounds like that VMS box is limiting you... maybe you should consider a different pre, etc.

Hey, did you get that windtech clamp, and are you going to be able to still tape moe?

Offline dgodwin

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 11:33:34 PM »
clamp should be here monday or tuesday.   If I get rid of the VMS box, I have to get bodies, or a sonosax, neither of which would be cheaper than the vms box I have now.  I'll be at moe doing something.  Maybe I'll pick up a microtracker just for the show   ;D

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 11:35:16 PM »
clamp should be here monday or tuesday.   If I get rid of the VMS box, I have to get bodies, or a sonosax, neither of which would be cheaper than the vms box I have now.  I'll be at moe doing something.  Maybe I'll pick up a microtracker just for the show   ;D

Yeah, the only thing I could offer would be for you to borrow my friend's 40gb jb3 (if he'll let me), but I guess you wanted to try something else, or is your jb3 messed up?

Offline dgodwin

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 11:46:47 PM »
I think the noise is a result of running line in and using an external battery to power it.  I did some tests and it wasn't noisy when running on the internal battery. 

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 11:50:13 PM »
I think the noise is a result of running line in and using an external battery to power it.  I did some tests and it wasn't noisy when running on the internal battery. 

Yup, that's the exact same issue I had at moe in Buffalo this summer. That was mostly what led me to sell the jb3 and try a new setup.

If you were to buy a recorder just for the one show, and you're going analog in, get the R-1 instead of the MT.

Offline dgodwin

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 11:51:36 PM »
I could get the mt at guitar center tomorrow  :D   and hopefully for onyl $300.   I don't know anyone who has the R1 locally. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.132 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com