Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DC/DC components.  (Read 2545 times)

Offline iriewsp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I have to pay for you to get it sounding good?
DC/DC components.
« on: September 17, 2006, 08:42:22 PM »
Im looking for something that will take a DC input from a battery to a 48v DC ouput and another one that will do Battery to 25.5v DC.

Anyone know where I could find somthing like this, or find a place where I could get a DIY kit?

Thanks for the help.
Mike
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 03:09:36 AM by iriewsp »
Taping Rig
AKG 451e ck1 (mid) AT 4050 (side)>V3>MT 24/96

Multi Track Rig
2 x Focosrite Octopre Platinum with adat expansion>003r>mac g4 power book
with assorted microphones

Offline beathydrolysis

• Taperssection Regular
Re: DC/DC components.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 05:10:15 PM »
Here's one to get you up to 48 v

http://abp.com/Up_Power_DC-DC_Converter.shtml

but I read your other post and honestly I think if you'll have to DIY to get the 25.5 v so ultimately it'd be better to do a DIY 12 v with 25.5 and 48 v output to your pre.  Having said that I think it will be a lot of trouble to do this so IMHO you're actually best off just spending the cash to get a preamp which is easy to use in the field.
Take care of the tapers and the tapers will take care of you.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 05:18:21 PM »

but I read your other post and honestly I think if you'll have to DIY to get the 25.5 v so ultimately it'd be better to do a DIY 12 v with 25.5 and 48 v output to your pre.  Having said that I think it will be a lot of trouble to do this so IMHO you're actually best off just spending the cash to get a preamp which is easy to use in the field.

Getting the switching NOISE out of the regulater so as not to contaminate the audio is difficult technical feat!
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline iriewsp

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 06:52:17 PM »

Getting the switching NOISE out of the regulater so as not to contaminate the audio is difficult technical feat!

Well,  thanks for the input.   Basically what I was trying to do was this.  keep the AC/DC power supply in the pre, and wire the pre up to accept an external DC/DC power supply and useing a switch to delegate wich power supply I will be using.  Therefore I can use the wall plug while in the Studio where I will be using the pre the most.  And then when I do use it in the field I can use the external DC/DC power supply.  So is that not possible?  I dont know much about power so Im a bit confused.
Taping Rig

Multi Track Rig

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 07:34:27 PM »

Well,  thanks for the input.   Basically what I was trying to do was this.  keep the AC/DC power supply in the pre, and wire the pre up to accept an external DC/DC power supply and useing a switch to delegate wich power supply I will be using.  Therefore I can use the wall plug while in the Studio where I will be using the pre the most.  And then when I do use it in the field I can use the external DC/DC power supply.  So is that not possible?  I dont know much about power so Im a bit confused.

Clarification on your intentions to supply two internal sources of DC power helps define scope of the task. 

At this point, suggest NOT attempting this as switching supplies are inherently noise-toxic to low level audio processing.  Even the technically expert find this area challenging to implement in good manner. 

Your best solution for field work is as suggested before, to purchase a different pre with external 10-18 volt DC input feature and with performance/features that meet your requirements.  This is the ONLY practical way for most of us to avoid DC power conversion trashed audio.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline beathydrolysis

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 02:13:32 PM »
well put guysonic
Take care of the tapers and the tapers will take care of you.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 02:31:11 PM »
The other option would be to simply build a 48v battery (8x 6v sla batteries) a-la the oade m148.  If the 25.5v can be met @ closer to 24v, you could   tap that out of a split from 4 cells of the 48v battery pack.

the m148 uses 1/2ah 6volt cells which are fairly small and light and would provide VERY clean power.

Offline iriewsp

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 07:20:11 PM »
So this is what I came up with.  Im not shure it will work, so let me know if it wont.

2 X 9.6V and 1 X 6V combined to make one 25.2v battery.

And 8 X 6V combined to make one 48v battery.

I was thinking about useing RC battery packs for this.

Question one is,  Will this work?   I would think that the only way to do this would be in series? 
Question two is, Will this be a clean power source?

Thanks for all the help guys. 

Mike
Taping Rig

Multi Track Rig

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com