Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fabric over mics  (Read 6248 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Fabric over mics
« on: September 12, 2017, 11:15:33 PM »
Let's say, hypothetically speaking, someone wanted to have a pair of AT853 cards under a t-shirt.  Would it be necessary to have the windscreens on the caps to avoid picking up the sound of the t-shirt fabric rubbing against the caps?  Or would that possibly exacerbate the problem?  Assume this would be at an indoor show where wind isn't a factor.

Why someone would want to have microphones under some t-shirt material is beyond me...
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: Fabric over mics
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 12:17:40 AM »
Let's say, hypothetically speaking, someone wanted to have a pair of AT853 cards under a t-shirt.  Would it be necessary to have the windscreens on the caps to avoid picking up the sound of the t-shirt fabric rubbing against the caps?  Or would that possibly exacerbate the problem?  Assume this would be at an indoor show where wind isn't a factor.

Why someone would want to have microphones under some t-shirt material is beyond me...

It is advisable to have light windscreens on in that case to avoid any rubbing noises though that may not be necessary if one is careful and still. 

I use fabric over windscreens outside in high wind situations where the windscreens aren't enough and that works great.  Thin fabric is fine.  It doesn't have any discernable impact on the sound quality. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 09:15:19 AM »
the few times I did  >:D  I used church audio in the collar without screens and no noticeable noise from the fabric.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 05:05:35 AM »
I have had good results from gaffer taping mics to my shoulder under a t-shirt.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 09:18:04 AM »
I have had good results from gaffer taping mics to my shoulder under a t-shirt.

:coolguy:

Now I have to look up where I can find a place for "Waxing" on my back and shoulders...Or go around with hairless epaulets under my shirt...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 09:46:59 AM »
The film and doc soundies tape/strap/glue/hide mics under clothing and/or on to skin every day. I have a small pelican case loaded with items for this.

If you google the following items you will find product usage tutorials:

Hide a Lav

Rycote undercover

Rycote overcover

Rode invisilav

Moleskin for mic placement

Lav belts

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 10:09:31 AM »
why mount mics on shoulders and backs? You get more height when you mount them under a hat.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »
why mount mics on shoulders and backs? You get more height when you mount them under a hat.

True but you look suspicious as hell standing there never moving your head.

Offline heathen

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 11:00:43 AM »

I just can't tolerate it.  I'd rather not tape a show than have to stand there not even being able to move my head.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 11:13:49 AM »
Well, I mount the mics in my hat and I still move my head during shows. I've yet to hear anyone complain.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 12:55:20 PM »

I just can't tolerate it.  I'd rather not tape a show than have to stand there not even being able to move my head.

Just wear a black collared shirt and clip them to the outside of the collars (angled a little upward assuming the PA is overhead).  No one will see them in a moderately dark hall. 

It is way more comfortable than the hat approach, allows more freedom of movement and there is no fabric baffle involved. 

I really don't think there's any loss between this and in a hat unless you are considerably shorter than average.  They're within about 3 inches of your ears this way. 

You can also get a black hat and clip them to the brim or edges by your ears though that's a little more obvious. 

Inside hat would be my last resort. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline heathen

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 12:59:52 PM »
Just wear a black collared shirt and clip them to the outside of the collars (angled a little upward assuming the PA is overhead).  No one will see them in a moderately dark hall. 

I've done this.  I was thinking about alternatives, though, which led to my original question that was just about fabric making contact with the mics.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 01:02:56 PM »

It is way more comfortable than the hat approach, allows more freedom of movement and there is no fabric baffle involved. 

I really don't think there's any loss between this and in a hat unless you are considerably shorter than average.  They're within about 3 inches of your ears this way. 

You can also get a black hat and clip them to the brim or edges by your ears though that's a little more obvious. 

Those are my two preferred methods: Black mics clipped to side of black baseball cap, or clipped to collar of black collared shirt. Nobody has ever called attention to it or oftentimes even noticed — as evidenced by the occasional appearances of a whispered "Are you taping?" in one channel from my well-meaning friends who don't notice they're talking directly into a mic.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 11:16:33 AM »
[snip] fabric making contact with the mics.

The type of fabric, the microphone surface that it comes into contact with, and the way they interact with each other are all key.  The other primary factor is the sound level of the recorded environment.  Generally there is little problem when recording loud program material, while fabric interaction noise can become a significant problem when recording very quiet material.

First, the fabric itself must be sufficiently transparent in the sonic sense so as not to muffle the sound, and the microphone mounting method must also sonically transparent, allowing for an unobstructed sound path.  Those two aspects refer to the simple 'static' non-moving/non-shifting condition, with no relative motion between the two.  Just getting those aspects right may be sufficient for louder material.  If only it was that simple for the quiet stuff..

Secondly, there will be some degree of handling noise created by movement, sometimes incrementally small movements which are otherwise undetectable, such as tiny movements from simply breathing.  That might be traced to the fabric rubbing against the microphone itself or its attachment, or cables moving and rubbing and transmitting noise through the cable structure to the microphone.  Different fabrics behave very differently, some which are otherwise beautifully transparent to sound are mechanically very raspy and tend to make more noise when shifting slightly.  Foam windscreens tend to make a lot of rasping noise if the fabric actually rubs across them and so can some mic grid screens and/or sharp edges.  One approach is to try and anchor the fabric and mic so they don't shift relative to each other and rub, but that can be difficult to achieve in practice.  I find anchoring the mics in place and providing a smooth surface for loose fabric of the appropriate texture to come in contact with tends to work well.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 07:19:15 PM »
I was at Sound Summit on Mt. Tam (just over Golden Gate) and despite taper-friendly bands, policy said no recorders. I decided not to press luck and set bag up on a slope before the pit, covering mics/bag with a shirt. Wish I had taken the small wind screens off as there wasn't wind, but it did the job. For Phil Lesh and Bob Weir, I moved the bag to a dead center area and set it up right behind the official photographer, who had no idea. Wish I could have run open as it would have killed.

https://archive.org/details/phil2017-09-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com