Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: [DPA 4061 users] A few questions about SPL and modding possibilities  (Read 10294 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: [DPA 4061 users] A few questions about SPL and modding possibilities
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 09:21:11 AM »
@ Yousef - see the attached, table at bottom of p.2 "changes in specification if you supply less than 48V phantom power" - is this not suggesting what I said, or have I misunderstood something? (quite possible):

http://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/176428_manual.pdf

That's through the DAD6001 adapter.  When properly powered with 48V phantom power, the output of the adapter to the microphone itself is 5V.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »
Yes, I can understand that, so  what is that table actually telling us about the apparent variation in max spl of 4061?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 12:42:09 PM »
That the output voltage of the DAD6001 adapter varies with input voltage.  As phantom power voltage into the adapter is reduced, the stepped-down output voltage to the microphone is also reduced.  And as the mic's supply voltage is reduced, self-noise increases and max SPL is decreased.

One would need to measure the actual output voltage of the DAD6001 adapter under those varying input phantom voltages to determine what actual mic power voltages correspond to the figures in the table.  Too bad they don't list that in another row along the bottom of the table, as it would apply to any powering scheme for the microphone and not just the DAD6001.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 02:25:32 PM »
9v works great w/4061's

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 02:55:45 PM »
Even slightly too much voltage (e.g., 9.6 V) can destroy a 4061. Some of the newer batteries (not the old alkalines) can hit those voltages.

Be careful out there!
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 03:02:58 PM »
Even slightly too much voltage (e.g., 9.6 V) can destroy a 4061. Some of the newer batteries (not the old alkalines) can hit those voltages.

Be careful out there!

Can you tell me what the voltage supplied that the DPA 4061 on your Mic2496 v2?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 03:11:21 PM »
Safe range for full spec performance with most of the miniature DPAs is between 5V and about ~10V 9V or so to the microphone.  Standard 9V battery boxes or preamp supplies fall in that range.  Higher voltage risks damaging the FET whereas lower voltage limits performance as noted previously (it's just not well quantified below 5V). 

4063 is the exception.  Its a lower supply voltage omni which works to specification down to 3V (same sensitivity as 4061).  Not sure if it also has a lower limit above which the FET is at risk.

Len posted while I was typing, he knows these mics well.  Safest to keep it below 9.6V on his recommendation.  Last I checked, my primary powering schemes for them provide around 8V.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:35:55 PM by Gutbucket »

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 06:22:58 PM »
In our experience, 10 Volts, without correct current limiting, will almost certainly destroy the capsules.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 06:27:49 PM »

Can you tell me what the voltage supplied that the DPA 4061 on your Mic2496 v2?

9 Volts through a 13k resistor.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 06:40:48 PM »
Just an anecdotal note that I have run the 406x with the SP-SPSB-10 battery box supplying 12v.

In an email exchange with DPA, they told me that "12v should be fine...when you go above 15v you want to use the DAD6001 adapter".

Did I receive incorrect info from them?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 07:18:28 PM »
It depends on the value of the current limiting resistor, which also drops the voltage at the capsule.

If you connected the capsule directly to 12 Volts, with no limiting resistor, you'd have a very dead capsule.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:53:05 PM by Len Moskowitz (Core Sound) »
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2018, 05:11:50 PM »
Let's try to establish a sense of proportion here. 134 dB SPL is so very loud that you would not--could not--stay in a room where it was happening. You would soon be driven into such a high state of stress that you could well have a heart attack and die.

A pressure transducer (which these mikes evidently are) with a 134 dB maximum SPL specification could be placed 1" in front of the mouth of the loudest opera singer the world has ever known, and it wouldn't overload. You could put it in the bell of a trumpet or trombone, and at the loudest end of a professional player's ability it would occasionally clip--but if you backed it away a foot or more, the problem would be solved.

That's really what these extreme specifications are about: very close placement to exceptionally loud sound sources. Not 40 feet or 10 feet or even 2 feet away from a P.A. loudspeaker--because to produce 130+ dB SPL at those miking distances, the original sound would have to be so loud that everyone anywhere near the speakers would have permanent hearing loss within a fairly short time.
When I bought my first mbho rig from Nutter at sonic sense I asked about their 134db SPL. He jokingly said at 138 db it would make my ears bleed.  :angry2:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 10:13:14 PM by MBHOTAPER »

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2018, 01:04:50 AM »
Never overloaded my 4061s even when stack taping and extrmely close.

I would highly suggest you keep the microdot terminations and get a dual microdot to 1/8" cable made.  Darktrain made mine and it has been solid!
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com