Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: coaxial to mini optical?  (Read 5815 times)

chazwars

• Trade Count: (0)
coaxial to mini optical?
« on: January 30, 2008, 09:47:31 AM »
I am heading down to a festival in a few weeks and wondered about patching my JB3 out of a coaxial output. As you well know, the JB3 only has a mini optical input. Is there such a cable that can go from coaxial to mini-optical. Or, coaxial to optical, and add the optical to mini optical adapter?  I've searched around the 'net with no luck.

Thanks,
  Charlie

Roving Sign

Re: coaxial to mini optical?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 09:53:50 AM »
You'll need the Hosa 276 or M-Audio CO2...

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 09:58:39 AM »
What's up chaz...  you'd need a converter.  Which in turn you'd need a battery for a converter.  Hosa makes a good one, Midiman I think makes one.  I've been lookin' at a Hosa for a while.  My Hi-MD takes optical, so I've always thought that it'd be good to have a converter for patching situations. 

Hosa ODL-276

http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/odl-276.html

You can find em on ebay also...  there's a company in Northern MN that seems to always sell em on ebay.  Might be a few dollars too much, but they're local MN folks!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

chazwars

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 10:22:17 AM »
Well, I've got a CO3 sitting around collecting dust. It sounds like that might be my best bet. Pain in the rear though to schlep all that gear around just for a conversion but that is the way it is.

Thanks crew.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 12:21:53 PM »
My question is along the same lines.

There isn't a way to do male rca to optial for a MD recorder is there? Sounds like this would also need some kind of converter.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

chazwars

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 12:24:32 PM »
That is the impression I got from the board.

Offline pigiron

• Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 01:21:56 PM »
Just to throw out a cheaper (and smaller) alternative, I've used on of those cheap "generic" converters on a JB3 and it worked fine... can't see why it wouldn't work on a MD either.

It was one of these... http://www.svideo.com/coaxtoslink1.html... they used to sell them all over the place (and I thought for a lower price than that one).

Wired up a small battery pack, and the current draw is so low they run almost forever.

Just for grins, I slapped a o'scope on the waveform... doesn't meet SPDIF amplitude specs, but like I said, it worked. Never tried it with 96K though, since I only needed 44.1 and 48K for the JB3.

Ran a Hosa also... nothing wrong with those... just a little bigger and more expensive.
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 01:30:08 PM »
Just to throw out a cheaper (and smaller) alternative, I've used on of those cheap "generic" converters on a JB3 and it worked fine... can't see why it wouldn't work on a MD either.

It was one of these... http://www.svideo.com/coaxtoslink1.html... they used to sell them all over the place (and I thought for a lower price than that one).

Wired up a small battery pack, and the current draw is so low they run almost forever.

Just for grins, I slapped a o'scope on the waveform... doesn't meet SPDIF amplitude specs, but like I said, it worked. Never tried it with 96K though, since I only needed 44.1 and 48K for the JB3.

Ran a Hosa also... nothing wrong with those... just a little bigger and more expensive.

Wow...  never seen one of these...  looks nice and small...  didn't know it existed!!!  +T
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 02:01:26 PM »
It was one of these... http://www.svideo.com/coaxtoslink1.html...

That looks like the "grey box" digital format converter included in some testing performed by a member of the JB3 Yahoo group a couple years ago.  If memory serves, the testing revealed it wasn't bit-transparent.  Might check the JB3 Yahoo group, the testing results (an Excel spreadsheet, I think) might still be there.  YMMV.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 02:14:40 PM »

That looks like the "grey box" digital format converter included in some testing performed by a member of the JB3 Yahoo group a couple years ago.  If memory serves, the testing revealed it wasn't bit-transparent.  Might check the JB3 Yahoo group, the testing results (an Excel spreadsheet, I think) might still be there.  YMMV.

The $10 converter I bought from Rat Shack works well for my TV, but drops bits every once in a while.  This is totally unsuitable for recording.

The M-Audio CO2 I once owned also produced drop-outs...

I also owned a Hosa ODL276.  I worked perfectly, never once having any issues.  It was also proven bit-perfect (or at least the SPDIF > AES version was).

Get a 276, its worth the extra $20 to not have to deal with the aggravation...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline pigiron

• Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 04:26:15 PM »
I totally forgot about the "controversy" :banging head:

Probably because I never had a problem with the infamous "grey box" after using it at multiple fest'es.

BUT, I sat down one time and traced out the circuit in the little bugger and I can see where it could depend on the rig... it uses TTL logic (hence not really meeting the SPDIF spec)... so if the input doesn't slam down to near ground level, then I'm sure drop-outs are a possibility.

You're right... it could be a $20 gamble and I should have added a "YMMV" clause... but I saw no problems with a MiniMe > "grey box".
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 10:07:20 PM »
actually, spdif digi conforms to the rs422 specs and using a 422 receiver or transmitter, once the signal has been input to a device it does actually run at TTL (transistor to transistor logic). TTL is 0-5V, spdif is 0-1V, but many dat decks were perfectly happy to receive TTL level signal w/o freaking out - as in when feeding AES-EBU on xlr into a co-ax signal.

anyway, the big issue with marrying co-ax and optical is that the optical device needs external power to drive the LED inside and the co-ax is passive in that the deck creates the signal.

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html

good page for building stuff digi spdif
http://www.rockpark.com/d7/

hope this helps
nism
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 07:40:10 AM »
I got the greybox when I first went to the JB3. used it once, threw it away. The results I had were... unlistenable.

Switched to a hosa odl-276a and it's bulletproof. it will also run forever on a cheap 9v rc battery. (I've run it on 6v too, in a pinch.)
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 01:19:28 AM »
i think that was me, but that was like 6 or 7 years ago. i dont even remember what the results were. in the end, i gave up on the jb as a primary recording device, it was jsut too buggy.

i like my bits 100% accurate! thats why i test the shit out of any recorder before taking it in the field.

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 03:27:42 PM »
What's up chaz...  you'd need a converter.  Which in turn you'd need a battery for a converter.  Hosa makes a good one, Midiman I think makes one.  I've been lookin' at a Hosa for a while.  My Hi-MD takes optical, so I've always thought that it'd be good to have a converter for patching situations. 

Hosa ODL-276

http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/odl-276.html

How would you connect, digitally, MD recorder to s soundboard? Would you choose to you this hosa device?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com