Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: decent small 24 bit adc?  (Read 12063 times)

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
decent small 24 bit adc?
« on: July 17, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
In a bit of a dilemma. dat gear is finally dying, and I've pretty much decided on an oade mod 661 by default. Like the fr le2, but hate that it's a little cheap looking and has only analog in-and that I can't run the 148 into the xlrs, have to run 1/4 inch. Discarded the p-2 because of size. And the 722 because of expense and the (imo) crap adc.

but I can't run the 148 into the xlrs of the 661 either, and the 1/8 input is stock. So I'd like to find a small adc to run in front of the 661 and just use it as a bit bucket. Any ideas?

Thanks all!

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: decent small 24 bit adc?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 10:00:03 AM »
As drew said, "I like my cables like I like my women, ugly and loyal" and the fr2-le succeeds in that characteristic (for me). I do agree, the big ding is no-digi in and the 661 makes up for it. What was your reasoning as to why you want to avoid doing 148 > fr2-le/661 all via XLRs? I had to go look and the pics of the 148 I saw had XLR outs.

I'm only curious cause if you reject the SD series for expense, then if someone else can help you save money, it looks like you'd be interested.

edit: clarification
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 11:29:20 AM by page »
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline tcf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 10:16:57 AM »
The 1/4 inch are very secure, I ran line in with the combo jacks and I had no reservations with a Fr2le.  I thought the a/d for line in sounded really good.

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 11:29:24 AM »
In a bit of a dilemma. dat gear is finally dying, and I've pretty much decided on an oade mod 661 by default. Like the fr le2, but hate that it's a little cheap looking and has only analog in-and that I can't run the 148 into the xlrs, have to run 1/4 inch. Discarded the p-2 because of size. And the 722 because of expense and the (imo) crap adc.

but I can't run the 148 into the xlrs of the 661 either, and the 1/8 input is stock. So I'd like to find a small adc to run in front of the 661 and just use it as a bit bucket. Any ideas?

Thanks all!

The XLR input on the 661 is mechanically switchable between mic in, and line in, so I am confused why you could not take the XLR out of the 148 and go line in on the 661. I know the 248 only has RCA outs, but I am almost positive that the 148 has XLR line outs. The FR2LE is the one that cannot accept a balanced XLR line in, and so that should be the big limitation for you with that unit. Also, the 661 does seamless auto splits at 4GB, while the Fostex simply stops. You can start a new file manually before the limit, but if you forget, you are screwed, particularly if you run 24/96. Of course, you already mentioned the digital in, and I also like the display and controls better on the 661, which is why I chose it myself.

I do recomend getting one of the Oade modded 661s, either the concert or warm, as these mods increase the SNR on the XLR mic and line path by 30db over the stock unit. Definately worth the extra $60, IMO.

AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:50:21 PM »
an AD2k is a sweet 24 bit A/D converter, and it's not too big, but with the 148 > AD2k combo, there's no real good way to adjust levels.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 12:56:53 PM »

Thanks all!

The XLR input on the 661 is mechanically switchable between mic in, and line in, so I am confused why you could not take the XLR out of the 148 and go line in on the 661. I know the 248 only has RCA outs, but I am almost positive that the 148 has XLR line outs. The FR2LE is the one that cannot accept a balanced XLR line in, and so that should be the big limitation for you with that unit. Also, the 661 does seamless auto splits at 4GB, while the Fostex simply stops. You can start a new file manually before the limit, but if you forget, you are screwed, particularly if you run 24/96. Of course, you already mentioned the digital in, and I also like the display and controls better on the 661, which is why I chose it myself.

I do recomend getting one of the Oade modded 661s, either the concert or warm, as these mods increase the SNR on the XLR mic and line path by 30db over the stock unit. Definately worth the extra $60, IMO.

Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten about the 4gb limit.

Per the unmodded (fr2-le) specs, the XLR ins can sustain similar levels as the TRS jacks (+4 max and -8 references on TRS and +2 max and -10 reference on XLR, all dBu). Just turn the trim all the way down. Did I miss something or are you looking for that last 2db(u)? Also, where am I'm missing it won't accept balanced XLR in though, the official documentation says it does.  ???

I agree with Brad though, my curiosity stands on the reason for not wanting to go 148 > 661/fr2-le in?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 02:26:02 PM »

Thanks all!

Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten about the 4gb limit.

Per the unmodded (fr2-le) specs, the XLR ins can sustain similar levels as the TRS jacks (+4 max and -8 references on TRS and +2 max and -10 reference on XLR, all dBu). Just turn the trim all the way down. Did I miss something or are you looking for that last 2db(u)? Also, where am I'm missing it won't accept balanced XLR in though, the official documentation says it does.  ???

I agree with Brad though, my curiosity stands on the reason for not wanting to go 148 > 661/fr2-le in?

I believe both decks share the same A/D chip, and sonically, you can't go wrong with either model, but I definately recommend either the Busman or Oade modded FR2LE or Oade Modded 661 over the stock versions.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline skaggs

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 08:07:09 PM »
m118 and m148 do not have balanced outputs.  i posted this after buying a 661 and finding out the hard way recording a show with noise on it.  i got that 661 back in march.  so running into the 148>661 through the xlr is not an option.  i have yet to try through the 1/8 input.  i have run a couple of soundboard>661, pretty good a/d, but not as good as a tascam p2, my main unit. 

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 11:30:06 PM »
mytek 192

marc0789

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 11:41:11 PM »
As drew said, "I like my cables like I like my women, ugly and loyal" and the fr2-le succeeds in that characteristic (for me). I do agree, the big ding is no-digi in and the 661 makes up for it. What was your reasoning as to why you want to avoid doing 148 > fr2-le/661 all via XLRs? I had to go look and the pics of the 148 I saw had XLR outs.

I'm only curious cause if you reject the SD series for expense, then if someone else can help you save money, it looks like you'd be interested.

edit: clarification

you get noise running the 148 into either the xlr of the fostex or the 661. You CAN run 1/4 inch into the fostex, according to Doug.

marc0789

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 11:45:25 PM »
m118 and m148 do not have balanced outputs.  i posted this after buying a 661 and finding out the hard way recording a show with noise on it.  i got that 661 back in march.  so running into the 148>661 through the xlr is not an option.  i have yet to try through the 1/8 input.  i have run a couple of soundboard>661, pretty good a/d, but not as good as a tascam p2, my main unit. 

yeah, a good buddy had the same experience, and he also has yet to run his 118 1/8 in. he also luckily has a p-2. but he loves everything else about the deck, and in a pinch or for stealth, very nice size and ok sound running mic in.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 12:00:13 AM »
You still trying to keep the weight down for your back, Marc?

Ditch the brick and go find yourself another freedom pre.  EAA>Sony D50 is an amazingly small setup, and the D50 line in sounds very good.

Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

marc0789

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 12:18:55 AM »
yeah, gotta keep it light for sure, Todd. Question, though...is your spare MD backup in the fanny pack? did that rig come with a lighter? I keed of course.  ;) Still miss the EAA  ; ; :'(

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 12:38:24 AM »
Dude, get with the program -- it's 24bit instead of dat these days, and your cell phone operates as a flashlight, no need for a lighter. ;D

I've got an Oade R44 for when I run 4ch stuff, but for 2ch, I've been running this rig.  Very compact obviously, and sounds quite good.

Unfortunately, to answer your question, there really aren't any small 24bit ADC's I know of -- just things like the V3, MMe, Mytek, AD2k.  Seems like a good line-in on a recorder is the best bet for keeping it small.  I guess Oade and Busman modded recorders might help on that front.  I do like the D50, but 3.5mm input only isn't something I'd normally recommend for a serious field rig.  With the EAA velcroed to the D50 like I have though, it keeps the 3.5mm input/output fairly secure so nothing gets pulled out.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 01:23:06 AM »
you get noise running the 148 into either the xlr of the fostex or the 661. You CAN run 1/4 inch into the fostex, according to Doug.

yeah, the 1/4" TRS jacks are unbalanced and should be ok if you can get the appropriate cables or adaptors. If you get lucky and find the PSP2, then I agree with Todd and strip down the rig a bit. I'm trying not to fluff the fostex, but I think it would work for what your trying to do with a budget that isn't a doozy.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com