Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time  (Read 108768 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time
« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2007, 01:02:20 PM »
i would say just the opposite (not as a pre choice but the availability) -
the aerco is a great pre but you can still get one custom made for the price a used V2 goes for if/when they come available

But isn't the v2 just a cheaper v3?  And v3's aren't at all scarce. I don't recall any cases where the v2 was demonstrated to be any better than the v3. And on paper the v3's gain based trim design is superior to the v2's attenuation.

There is only one person who makes the aerco so it is subject to no longer being available at any time... It is the only compact transformer pre being made.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2007, 01:11:34 PM »
the aerco is a great pre but you can still get one custom made for the price a used V2 goes for if/when they come available

But isn't the v2 just a cheaper v3?  And v3's aren't at all scarce. I don't recall any cases where the v2 was demonstrated to be any better than the v3. And on paper the v3's gain based trim design is superior to the v2's attenuation.

There is only one person who makes the aerco so it is subject to no longer being available at any time... It is the only compact transformer pre being made.

perhaps, but it seems the V2s are much more of a commodity around these parts when they go on sale - very possibly due to their reputation and simply being more well known -- then again you don't see many used aercos either
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2007, 01:26:50 PM »

perhaps, but it seems the V2s are much more of a commodity around these parts when they go on sale - very possibly due to their reputation and simply being more well known -- then again you don't see many used aercos either

True.  I think the V2 has a little bit of mythical status to it as well.    I wonder how many Aerco's are truly out there?  By the recent slew of V2's on ebay and other forums for sale I think alot more than I thought are used in studios and not just by tapers.

Offline landshark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2007, 01:32:22 PM »

It is the only compact transformer pre being made.

[/quote]

Don't forget the SD MixPre....
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2007, 01:51:58 PM »
Don't forget the SD MixPre....

Forgot about that one..

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2007, 04:41:14 PM »

True.  I think the V2 has a little bit of mythical status to it as well.    I wonder how many Aerco's are truly out there?  By the recent slew of V2's on ebay and other forums for sale I think alot more than I thought are used in studios and not just by tapers.

I've found A bunch of nature recorders use Aerco's & the SD mp-2.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2007, 10:18:06 PM »

Aerco smokes the V2 and V3.  Been proven in comps.  End of story.  I'm stunned more folks haven't ordered an Aerco since those comps.  They are built like a brick-sh*thouse and sounds fantastic.  I'll never get rid of mine.   

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2007, 08:11:30 AM »

Aerco smokes the V2 and V3.  Been proven in comps.  End of story.  I'm stunned more folks haven't ordered an Aerco since those comps.  They are built like a brick-sh*thouse and sounds fantastic.  I'll never get rid of mine.   

And after listening to some more shows recorded with each, I think I'm sticking with the AERCO. The V3 price bottoming just had me gassing for the pretty lights, I guess.

Now I just need Jerry to finish it!

Offline sanaka

• Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2007, 03:58:52 PM »
I had a couple thoughts, for which I apologize if they were already addressed here and I missed it.

I agree with Mr. Chamkis on using rotary switches for stepped gain. To me the coarse gain steps are not a big deal versus the better tracking and reliability over pots. I'm comfortable with post processing, so with a reasonably quiet recording signal chain, normalizing to make up for 4 or 5 dB of "wasted" headroom is no biggie.

I also like the "stereo gain + balance" configuration, since a portable, two channel mic pre is usually going to be about stereo.   Dialing in an offset during recording could be handy for several reasons, as discussed earlier in this thread. But it seems, for the same reasons that separate gain switches are not so useful, that the offset is not normally going to be huge. And a solid 0 position is very important.

So how about making the balance stepped as well? It seems you could use the same 6 position rotary switch used for the stepped gain. Using 5 of its positions, you could adjust the left/right difference to two different levels, say 3dB or 6dB, with a nice solid 0 position in the middle.

A 7 position switch would give 3 levels, and if that same switch were also used for gain could give 0-60dB instead of 0-50 (or whatever).

I wonder how soon Mr. Chamkis will wish we never heard of him? ::)

Peace,
Sanaka

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2007, 09:14:09 AM »
The MP-2 is on its way :) Will be here on Friday, and Friday night I'll take it for a spin.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2007, 09:41:17 AM »
nice!

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2007, 10:00:27 AM »
nice!

I hope FedEx will leave it with my standard "please leave the package, signed and dated by me here" note. Should have had it shipped to work... I'd have it rerouted, but that's just asking for trouble.

Pics should be in order sometime this weekend. Not sure if anyone else has the phantom on/off switch.

cmoorevt

« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2007, 11:07:01 AM »
Congrats.  I really need to pick one of these up at some point.  It looks like Jerry has added some new pictures to his site (at least new since the last time I visited).  Sweet looking device.

http://www.aerco.net/mp2photos.html

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2007, 12:16:42 PM »
I notice on his site that he says he "entertains custom electronic projects"...
perhaps a new AKG project helper ?
:)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2007, 12:36:32 PM »
I notice on his site that he says he "entertains custom electronic projects"...
perhaps a new AKG project helper ?
:)

Oh, it's fun the let the mind wander a bit...

An Aerco/JKLabs-esque box customer tailored for the CKx caps.  Actives + yummy transformer goodness...mmm.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com