Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DR-40 phantom power  (Read 4476 times)

Offline PAINKILLER

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
DR-40 phantom power
« on: May 17, 2013, 06:03:01 PM »
I`m starting to run audio separate due to the crap mic on my TM 700 camcorder (far too sensitive for rock/metal)  . I bought the Tascam DR-40 ,but realised its not quite so stealthy unless i keep it in a large pocket and use some ext mics.
  So ...this unit has 48v phantom power , will this run ext mics without the need for a battery box through the line in ? 

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: DR-40 phantom power
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 07:03:52 AM »
The 48V phantom power would be more than enough to power mics with XLR termination. If using mics with a stereo miniplug you would need to go mic in and then check the DR-40 spec for plug-in power. For loud rock/metal, I think its unlikely to be enough.  Better to go line in with a battery box (the CA ugly BB is REALLY small for ste@lth.

Offline PAINKILLER

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 07:52:08 AM »
Thanks for the reply .Looking at the manual it says the phantom power 48v can be set to the line in . But only use phantom power to a mic that needs it . From what i read here most battery boxes are 9v right ? So will 48v fry them lol . Please excuse my noobness in these matters. Just that i want to stealth with as least stuff as possible .So if i need a battery box for this it will go back and ill buy a smaller unit...maybe sony PCM10. Thanks again

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 08:02:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply .Looking at the manual it says the phantom power 48v can be set to the line in . But only use phantom power to a mic that needs it . From what i read here most battery boxes are 9v right ? So will 48v fry them lol . Please excuse my noobness in these matters. Just that i want to stealth with as least stuff as possible .So if i need a battery box for this it will go back and ill buy a smaller unit...maybe sony PCM10. Thanks again

You'll have to say more about what mics you plan on using...battery box setups usually imply small lavaliere mics.

And - you wont use phantom when using a battery box...its off in that configuration.

Offline PAINKILLER

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 08:33:33 AM »

You'll have to say more about what mics you plan on using...battery box setups usually imply small lavaliere mics.

And - you wont use phantom when using a battery box...its off in that configuration.

Hi, well i suppose mics were my next thing  . I figured on maybe SP-CMC-19 - Sound Professionals - Mini Cardioid Stereo Microphones . Or CA11s i read about on here which on reading seem good for loud shows.   I dont want to use the xlr inputs on the bottom of the DR-40 as i think it will be too cumbersome in a stealth situation as i have my camcorder to keep check on. Mics going into the line in input leaves the unit facing up so i can check it from my pocket and less cable mess.

Offline PAINKILLER

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 01:48:04 PM »
Ok the DR-40 went back this afternoon . Think i`m going with a Sony M10 . Mods please delete this thread...thx

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com