Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 3)  (Read 118464 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 3)
« Reply #360 on: September 30, 2010, 06:13:12 PM »
I'm recording voices.  Two people speaking.  Lavaliere is on one of them.   Any recording advantage to using automatic gain versus correction in post in this case given dynamic range probably not an issue and one level will definitely be higher than the other?
t's probably best to sort it out afterwards.   

http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator - "The Levelator" - may be interest if you are not familiar with it.

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #361 on: October 01, 2010, 12:03:41 AM »
I also posted this in the team Church Audio thread a couple of days ago. I looking for an little external feedback. I have been recording for about six months now and am still trying to perfect my methods. If anyone has time to ldownload and isten to the file in the link and let me know what you think I would be appreciative. It is one track from a recording I made Friday night at a jazz performance in a small club in NYC.

http://rapidshare.com/files/421617713/MTurner2010-09-24track01.flac.html

CA-14 (omnis) -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10 (24 bit/44.1kHz)

converted to 16bit with Audacity.

Thanks.

Sounds really good, how far were you from the stage?

About 10 feet
Mics: Schoeps CCM 4; DPA 4060; SP-CMC-25
Power: Naiant Tinybox; SP battery box
Recorder: Sony PCM-M10

Offline Chris 91

• Taperssection Newbie
    • DIME Account
« Reply #362 on: October 01, 2010, 12:52:56 AM »
I also posted this in the team Church Audio thread a couple of days ago. I looking for an little external feedback. I have been recording for about six months now and am still trying to perfect my methods. If anyone has time to ldownload and isten to the file in the link and let me know what you think I would be appreciative. It is one track from a recording I made Friday night at a jazz performance in a small club in NYC.

http://rapidshare.com/files/421617713/MTurner2010-09-24track01.flac.html

CA-14 (omnis) -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10 (24 bit/44.1kHz)

converted to 16bit with Audacity.

Thanks.

Sounds really good, how far were you from the stage?

About 10 feet

Yea man, came out damn near perfect. I just recorded a show with the internals a few hours ago. Didn't turn out so great, learned a few things though.

- Don't leave the M10 in your shirt pocket (using internals), it will muffle the sound (learned this in the car, before the show)
- Under manual rec, don't go under 1.4 (maybe 1.2) or so unless you want a super quiet recording. Didn't think it could handle a loud show... kinda didn't.
- The M10's internals cant handle super loud bass (it will distort), turn on the LCF (may still distort) or move away from the speakers.
- The limiter may have been useful if it keeps the bass under control (Didn't test this, I kept it off)
- Adjusting the rec level will lead to some scraping sounds, don't adjust it more than you need to.
- Not really good for loud rock shows, period. (Unless you find a really good spot to record from, possibly away from speakers more than a few feet)

I really gotta save up for some externals :(

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #363 on: October 01, 2010, 01:51:03 AM »
I hate to say it, but it sounds like the limitations of the recording were the mics. The clarity and sense of depth are great, and so is the sense of the presence of the instruments, the breath and the impact. All that's missing is bass, like the weight of the bass drum. It sounds like the mics are rolling off that bottom octave of bass, and that makes the recording sound just a little bit...stuffy-nosed. But only a little bit. And the musicianship is superb. 

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #364 on: October 01, 2010, 07:27:51 AM »
I just recorded a show with the internals a few hours ago. Didn't turn out so great, learned a few things though.

- Under manual rec, don't go under 1.4 (maybe 1.2) or so unless you want a super quiet recording. Didn't think it could handle a loud show... kinda didn't.
That of course depends on the loudness of the source, but if you have to turn the record level below 1 to keep the meters under 0 dB you are likely to get a distorted recording anyway (even when using externals).

- The M10's internals cant handle super loud bass (it will distort), turn on the LCF (may still distort) or move away from the speakers.
They will handle shows that are quite loud though. I believe 120 or maybe 125 dB.

- Adjusting the rec level will lead to some scraping sounds, don't adjust it more than you need to.
Wait for applause to change levels, if possible, so any added noise can be easily edited out. I think the scraping sound is the internal mics recording your fingers on the wheel. I don't hear it when I use externals.

- Not really good for loud rock shows, period. (Unless you find a really good spot to record from, possibly away from speakers more than a few feet)
No stock internals that I know of are. The R-09 with the Chris Church Micsketeer mod sounds great for super loud shows.

I really gotta save up for some externals :(
Look into the Church gear-best bang for the buck and sound like they cost a lot more than they do.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #365 on: October 01, 2010, 11:13:58 AM »
I hate to say it, but it sounds like the limitations of the recording were the mics. The clarity and sense of depth are great, and so is the sense of the presence of the instruments, the breath and the impact. All that's missing is bass, like the weight of the bass drum. It sounds like the mics are rolling off that bottom octave of bass, and that makes the recording sound just a little bit...stuffy-nosed. But only a little bit. And the musicianship is superb.

I appreciate your thoughts. You obviously have a much more critial ear than me - I say that as a compliment.

I should have mentioned before that the ensemble is the Mark Turner quartet with trumpeter Avishai Cohen, bassist Joe Martin and drummer Marcus Gilmore.
Mics: Schoeps CCM 4; DPA 4060; SP-CMC-25
Power: Naiant Tinybox; SP battery box
Recorder: Sony PCM-M10

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #366 on: October 01, 2010, 11:47:40 AM »
Looks like we've hit the end of this thread.

Part 4 of the continued Sony PCM-M10 thread is here:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=139638.0

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #367 on: October 01, 2010, 04:25:45 PM »
Looks like we've hit the end of this thread.

Locking it up...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com