Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661  (Read 135461 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661
« Reply #285 on: August 01, 2010, 07:37:29 PM »
Has anyone had any problems after updating to the latest version released 05/19/2010?  Details and link for the update below.  I have a break from recording and am looking to do the update now.

I believe that's the FW version I have on my stock 661, and I haven't had any problems with it.  I'll check my 661 when I find my rechargeables...

Also, anyone have an idea (or guess) when the next iteration of the 66x will come out?  I don't know how long the 660 life-cycle was but I'm guessing it was at least a couple of years.  Would love to see a 662 that is even smaller, lighter, and longer-lasting.  8)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #286 on: August 01, 2010, 08:01:11 PM »
Has anyone had any problems after updating to the latest version released 05/19/2010?  Details and link for the update below.  I have a break from recording and am looking to do the update now.

Marantz PMD661 Firmware Update Version A1.17 

http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=4405&Tab=FAQ

PMD661 v.1.17 Firmware Details:

1.   When unit is restored after abnormal termination, data's chunk might not be correct.
2.   Malfunction might occur when using an SD card that is formatted by PMD661 in other equipment.

I have used the new FW revision for two shows now with absolutely no problems.

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #287 on: August 02, 2010, 12:30:53 PM »

Marantz PMD661 Firmware Update Version A1.17 

http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=4405&Tab=FAQ

PMD661 v.1.17 Firmware Details:

1.   When unit is restored after abnormal termination, data's chunk might not be correct.
2.   Malfunction might occur when using an SD card that is formatted by PMD661 in other equipment.

I have used the new FW revision for two shows now with absolutely no problems.

Okay thanks, I went ahead with the update.  Fingers crossed for next show, there were no problems after the last update. 

My unit came with vA1.14, I jumped to vA1.16 now running vA1.17
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:34:18 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #288 on: August 10, 2010, 09:28:23 AM »
^
I used the 661 as a bit bucket with the updated firmware for all three nights of the greek, no problems. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:32:41 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline taosmay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #289 on: August 24, 2010, 11:08:36 PM »
Can I take the memory card with wav files recorded on my R-09HR, and put the card in my PMD 661, without any resulting problems with the files or playback on the 661(the files are recorded at a format the 661 accepts)?
Beyerdynamic MC930's > GAKables > OCM Marantz PMD661
CA 14 cardioid mic's/CA 11 croakie mic's > CA-9200 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline datbrad

« Reply #290 on: August 24, 2010, 11:30:45 PM »
Can I take the memory card with wav files recorded on my R-09HR, and put the card in my PMD 661, without any resulting problems with the files or playback on the 661(the files are recorded at a format the 661 accepts)?

You know, that could work, but I would not risk it if it was me. Either the files from the R-09 could drop off the root directory, or there could be an issue with the files recorded later on the 661 if the card was formatted previously on the R-09.

I have been able to use the disk checking feature in Windows to repair corrupted files on a CF card before resulting from the card's use being split between two pieces of equipment in a simlar way to what you suggest, but there was a period of frantic scrambling before the root errors were fixed that I don't ever want to experience again. My advice is not to attempt use of the same SD card between an R09 and 661.

AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline tim_k

• Taperssection Regular
Heat!
« Reply #291 on: August 26, 2010, 09:10:03 PM »
So here is a cautionary note about the 661 and heat, it seems that the unit might be fairly sensitive to heat.
My story is that last year I recorded a lot of nature sounds in the Gobi and as a result a hiss developed in one of the channels (this is a Oade Supermod by the way). There were a bunch of shows I wanted to record so I didn't send it off right away and the hiss was low enough that for loud things it wasn't a problem for me, but was obvious on quiet sounds. Finally I sent it back to Oade to get fixed. He suspected that it was one of the modified parts, but that turned out to not be the case, it was in fact on the main PCB. After a long wait I got the unit back in good working order until a couple of weeks ago when working in Seattle in 90 degree heat, the hiss returned. The first time this happened, mine was the only unit Oade was aware of with this problem, but now someone else who records in the desert is having the same issue. A few days ago I took my unit to record in the desert (mid 80's temp, hey, it's already noisy now, might as well, right?), and the hiss is now a ugly hum. I know heat is bad for electronics, but considering I was using it within the stated operational temps (104 degrees), it was a bit of a surprise.
Doug is currently working Marantz to see what the deal is. Luckily summer seems to be winding down, but  if you are in a hot environment you might want to be careful.

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #292 on: August 27, 2010, 02:45:34 PM »
I tried searching but wasn't able to find the posts in the 661 threads about how low your gain setting can be before you get any risk of distortion.  My memory is saying that it was '4' but that seems kind of high, and I've recorded around '4' a lot in the past due to risk of peaking at higher gain level settings.  Anyone know or have experience with that (distortion below a certain gain level)? 

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #293 on: August 27, 2010, 03:27:46 PM »
I tried searching but wasn't able to find the posts in the 661 threads about how low your gain setting can be before you get any risk of distortion.  My memory is saying that it was '4' but that seems kind of high, and I've recorded around '4' a lot in the past due to risk of peaking at higher gain level settings.  Anyone know or have experience with that (distortion below a certain gain level)?

the only time I have had any distortion was my very first recording with the 661.  It was also my first time out with the beyerdynamics, and obviously, I was still learning about the mics and the deck.  The beyerdynamics are very high output mics.  Just about as high as I've seen for the "typical" mics that tapers use.  on that first outing, I didn't not engage the -15 dB switch on my mics, and I had the 661 set to the -12dB gain setting.  I had the dial set a little bit below 4, and I had minor distortion (brickwalling), but only during the loudest peaks.  The recording is still listenable.  Based on that, I have posted in the past to try to keep the dial above "4".  I'm not sure if anyone else has done more extensive testing, but that is my experience.  Since that show, I have always used the -15 dB switch on my mics (my understanding is that the implementation is such that it lowers the sensitivity of the capsules by 15dB, and isn't really a attenuator), and I always use the -18dB gain setting on the 661.  This has worked very well for me, and I haven't had any other brickwalling distortion on my recordings (and my gain knob is usually around 5).

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #294 on: August 27, 2010, 05:57:20 PM »
Thanks JS, it was probably your post that I was remembering.  I've always used the max pad of -18dB but for many or most shows I've found that I have to stay around '4' on gain or else it'll get uncomfortably into the red.

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #295 on: August 29, 2010, 06:25:30 PM »
is it sandisk and lexar that marantz recommends?
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline cottle

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #296 on: August 30, 2010, 03:57:39 PM »
is it sandisk and lexar that marantz recommends?

I beleive it's sandisk and PNY.  I've stuck with sandisk so far, and have only had an issue with the most recent card (a class 4, 16G).  I ordered another just like it to see if it's a card issue.  Been getting some weird digi-distortion on the two shows I recorded on that card.  I'm inclined to beleive it's just user error though.

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #297 on: August 30, 2010, 05:38:43 PM »
thanks Jason

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #298 on: August 31, 2010, 12:05:59 AM »
FWIW, I've been using a 16gb class 6 Transcend card for a good six months or so without any issues at all.

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #299 on: August 31, 2010, 09:07:43 AM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com