Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 15617 times)

Offline johnfitz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 04:48:04 PM »
I've had a problem with shut down and sleep since upgrading to 10 a couple of weeks ago.

90% of the time my computer won't shut down, it goes into sleep mode.

Normally this wouldn't be so bad, but my larger and more aggravating issue is that my computer doesn't wake back up from sleep mode.

I have to press and hold the power button for about 3 or 4 seconds to completely shut it down, then I'm able to power it up it normally,

Anybody have any ideas for me?

Thanks!

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2015, 10:45:41 PM »
Only issue I'm having is that videos in Facebook start very dark (pretty much solid black with a few lighter spots) until something syncs up and then they clear up. Started right after I upgraded. Hopefully a update fixes that. Not a huge deal though.

Otherwise pretty good. Coming from Windows 7, I thought it was pretty easy to find everything.

Still need to go through and mess with some settings, like what Microsoft tracks.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 12:44:07 PM »
I got this e-mail at work since I am a MSCA and use some enterprise software.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise?cr_cc=200665642&wt.mc_id=usdx_evan_properties-newsletters_technet-newsflash_0_20150805

The gist of it is if you are a registered MS professional you can download the enterprise version for 90 day trial.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/product-licensing/windows10.aspx

So, when I go to their explanations to learn if it is "free" as they are saying the standard version is. I can't exactly figure that out, however, it says
For the first year of availability, many customers who currently use Windows will qualify for a free upgrade to Windows 10. 
It isn't straight forward (surprise!) but implies there will be a few volume licensing capabilities available; but when it uses the word "cost" I can't figure out if it conforms to your current licensing or requires you to go through a new license process. it is confusing, but I have only read it twice. I am going to do some more research. In the meantime here is a quote from this section: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/product-licensing/windows10.aspx#tab=2

Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise
Volume Licensing is the most cost-effective way for commercial customers to upgrade PCs to Windows 10 Enterprise. You can purchase upgrade licenses through a Volume Licensing program to gain access to Windows 10 Enterprise, and you can attach Software Assurance to your Windows 10 Enterprise Upgrade licenses.

I'll be back with any more information if I can find some.  8)
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 01:27:40 PM »
^ I'm an IT guy and we also run Enterprise versions of Windows and Office where we use KMS servers. Now I don't manage that end of it, but your post was quite helpful (not that my particular department has any plans on moving to W10 any time soon...)!

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 02:21:34 PM »
My system, wich had windows 7, has Windows 10 for two days now and so far I like it a lot.
All software seems to work like it used to do. I only need to do a recalibration for the monitor since Windows 10 doesn't recognize the calibration data profile.

So far so good!
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 02:42:13 PM »
My system, wich had windows 7, has Windows 10 for two days now and so far I like it a lot.
All software seems to work like it used to do. I only need to do a recalibration for the monitor since Windows 10 doesn't recognize the calibration data profile.

So far so good!
Any issues with hardware/peripherals?
music IS love

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 03:00:13 PM »
I had a brief install snag before I realized I'd forgotten to disconnect my USB3 hard drive dock; the install wouldn't move past a certain point. Removed it and the installation proceeded fine.

The only issue I've had is that the port forwarding I had setup in Win7 went away, and I had to reconfigure all that under Win10. Makes sense that it would, just didn't think of it ahead of time. Smooth sailing for me otherwise.

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2015, 06:46:52 PM »

So far so good!
Any issues with hardware/peripherals?

No problems. All hardware works fine.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2015, 07:48:38 PM »
Bump to follow thread. i am in charge of about 60 PCs. Most are WIN7, 3 are WIN8; haven't yet decided what I am going to do as a company policy. I'll keep reading on forums such as this and other non IT forums so I can see how most users feel.

Corporate prudence says wait at least one year after any O/S release.
Win10 is really W8.1 with better GUI, as far as I can tell.
UI includes Cortana, which I see as a security problem right out of the gate.

Win7 has years of extended support, so you probably can move slowly:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Your company does have extended support, no?

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2015, 08:42:06 PM »
Bump to follow thread. i am in charge of about 60 PCs. Most are WIN7, 3 are WIN8; haven't yet decided what I am going to do as a company policy. I'll keep reading on forums such as this and other non IT forums so I can see how most users feel.

Corporate prudence says wait at least one year after any O/S release.
Win10 is really W8.1 with better GUI, as far as I can tell.
UI includes Cortana, which I see as a security problem right out of the gate.

Win7 has years of extended support, so you probably can move slowly:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Your company does have extended support, no?
Tango,
Yes to extended and quality support. I am mostly interested in how others find the OS in terms of usability and function. I am loading it on an unused workstation this week and going to play around with it a bit.
Another reason to keep tabs on what people are saying is that at my work, all the employees ask me about personal stuff they might wish to buy for their kids, wives, etc, and I liek to have some knowledge.
OTH, man do I agree with you after just a couple of weeks of reading. I am going to keep teh company with WIN7 as long as I can unless someones needs or job requires WIN10.

Thanks for the info about Cortana, Do you know if this on every version of the OS and/or can it reliably be kept disabled through GPO?
music IS love

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2015, 12:23:47 PM »
A word of CAUTION about W10 and transferring audio files from external media/media readers.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=174321.0

I highly recommend reading the thread from answers.microsoft.com linked in the above ts thread.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2015, 06:02:14 AM »
I had been toying with cloning my W8 drive then upgrading to 10 just to see what it's like. Might still do that but doubt I'll ever use it for more than having it available on a backup drive, esp. after reading this http://www.alphr.com/microsoft/microsoft-windows-10/1001360/microsoft-can-disable-your-pirated-games-and-illegal-hardware . Seems MS really is looking to make W10 an OSaaS. I wonder how long before MS starts charging a monthly fee to use their OS?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2015, 09:46:21 AM »
I wonder how long before MS starts charging a monthly fee to use their OS?

They can't really do that unless Apple does it as well.

I think they are planning on making their money the way everyone else does (Android/Apple). Charge a little bit for basic apps, Ads based on your habits, etc. They already do the monthly thing for Office. Adobe is moving that way for their apps too. I think they all will go to the monthly subscription for the big apps in order to reduce/eliminate piracy.

I would guess OS's will become free for something with basics apps only and if you want to do anything worthwhile you will have to pay a monthly subscription.

Ideally they scrap the whole Windows 10, 11, 12 and just make it Windows and upgrade it with new features when they are ready to go.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2015, 10:05:07 AM »

I think they are planning on making their money the way everyone else does (Android/Apple). Charge a little bit for basic apps, Ads based on your habits, etc. They already do the monthly thing for Office. Adobe is moving that way for their apps too. I think they all will go to the monthly subscription for the big apps in order to reduce/eliminate piracy.

I would guess OS's will become free for something with basics apps only and if you want to do anything worthwhile you will have to pay a monthly subscription.

Ideally they scrap the whole Windows 10, 11, 12 and just make it Windows and upgrade it with new features when they are ready to go.
Funny reading mis comprehension just happened for me: I read the bold above, and probably because I feel M$ is so BS, I read it as "reduce/eliminate" PRIVACY. After 20 years I currently feel the internet was allowed to advance to the public arena specifically because of its' future ability of mass surveillance. To top it all off, they had thousands of people (developers) create apps and other tools which are most helpful in keeping track of people.  >:D
music IS love

stevetoney

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2015, 11:07:25 AM »

Funny reading mis comprehension just happened for me: I read the bold above, and probably because I feel M$ is so BS, I read it as "reduce/eliminate" PRIVACY. After 20 years I currently feel the internet was allowed to advance to the public arena specifically because of its' future ability of mass surveillance. To top it all off, they had thousands of people (developers) create apps and other tools which are most helpful in keeping track of people.  >:D

So Al Gore DID invent the internet after all! ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com