Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Naiant IPA  (Read 123963 times)

Offline NewTaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Naiant IPA
« Reply #195 on: March 10, 2018, 11:48:42 AM »
Thank You for the clarification. I just wanted to be 100% sure before I ordered.

Thanks,
NT

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #196 on: April 10, 2018, 11:17:30 AM »
How does an IPA work for mbhos? do i need 1 or 2?
With the tb6m connector (tinybox stereo) you only need 1 ipa. You will also need a y cable Jon makes to run from your active cables connectors (2 tb3m) to a single tb6f that connects to the ipa.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 02:19:54 AM by MBHOTAPER »

Offline MLKLuke

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • going going...but never GONE!
    • MLK Audio
« Reply #197 on: April 15, 2018, 07:03:26 PM »
hi guys, got a question about IPA

I own a pair of Schoeps MK4 capsules and a pair of Neumann AK40 capsules. I would like to have a Naiant IPA that can power both sets (not at the same time of course!). Is it possible? I read that Neumann caps have inverted polarization compared to Schoeps ones so I wonder if I would need 1 IPA for Schoeps pair and 1 IPA for Neumann pair or if it's something that can be "fixed" with some kind of adapter or maybe using a set of Active Cables with properly built for Neumann caps

thanks for your help
MLK - Luke
Mics: Schoeps MK4+Nbob Actives / AT853 (H,C,SC) / DPA 4061
Power: Tinybox v2.5 / 3-Wire BBox / CA-9200 3W / CA-UBB
Recorders: R05 / R09HR / Pocketrak C24 / Tascam DR2D
My Recordings

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #198 on: April 25, 2018, 09:55:40 AM »
So I Have nBob AKG Actives > en3 Connector (nBox).  Plan to run this into a M10.  To mate the actives & IPA I was thinking of a short cable, en3(nBox Connector) > schoeps KCY.

What is the opinions on the gain options?  Should I get zero gain, variable, fixed?
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #199 on: April 25, 2018, 11:19:58 AM »
So I Have nBob AKG Actives > en3 Connector (nBox).  Plan to run this into a M10.  To mate the actives & IPA I was thinking of a short cable, en3(nBox Connector) > schoeps KCY.

What is the opinions on the gain options?  Should I get zero gain, variable, fixed?

Just heard back from Jon at Naiant.  IPA does not support nBox format (nBob Actives).  nBox needs 16v and the current version of IPA goes to 12v.  He said he plans to have a new version of IPA with 16v later this year.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2018, 05:21:27 PM »
If you get a set built to the Schoeps KCY format you can use the IPA!!  I had my MG actives built as KCY setup.  I don't have an IPA anymore, but like having the option if I wanted one again. 

Just heard back from Jon at Naiant.  IPA does not support nBox format (nBob Actives).  nBox needs 16v and the current version of IPA goes to 12v.  He said he plans to have a new version of IPA with 16v later this year.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline crunchy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My List
« Reply #201 on: July 19, 2018, 07:37:43 AM »
I asked Ted to build a custom cable 4.0mm x 1.7mm (to power the IPA) to 4.75mm x 1.7mm (plugged into my 12V external battery - Fotodiox Turbopack 9000 Power Pack).

This external battery successfully powered up my IPA, which supported my KCY > Neumann AK40 caps (KCY cables built by Nick).

I've used this set up nicely for a few recordings over the last few months.

Here's my set up, as per my previous post.  The battery lasts several recordings.

I had messaged Jon about a 5V > 12V USB-A to 1.7mm adapter cable last month, and he mentioned to me that it is still under development, but expected to be available by the end of the year.
thats nice but I rather have a tb with built in battery personally. Less fuss and potential issues

The IPA runs on a A23 battery.  Naiant says for 20hrs but I never used one for more than 3.  Have one of the cables guys make a chopped XLR>stereo mini cable and that makes it less fussy.  The IPA is available now and less expensive than the tinybox was when it was available.

I would be nice to know how long the A23 would last using the different mics out there--maybe some of the owners could do the test.

The Naiant website states that the battery life with an A23 is down to ~5 hours with a 60v stereo circuit like with a KCY.

I like my IPA as well, sounds great, etc. But I'd rather not have to throw a battery into a landfill every time I tape a show.

Noah, you could use a 9.6volt 9v rechargeable battery with the IPA. I am using a powerex 9.6v 230mah rechargeable, voltage fully charged is around 10.3v, IPA spec says external power from 9 - 15v. Currently testing runtime with mine, 12 hours and still running with the red external power light on, battery is down to 9.7v. I tried an alkaline 9v and it ran just under 3 hours before the orange low battery light came on ran for awhile with the low battery light on, I didn’t test it until it died. The battery is almost the same width as the IPA so it can still make it a nice compact setup while still having a rechargeable option.

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #202 on: July 19, 2018, 08:54:16 PM »
I asked Ted to build a custom cable 4.0mm x 1.7mm (to power the IPA) to 4.75mm x 1.7mm (plugged into my 12V external battery - Fotodiox Turbopack 9000 Power Pack).

This external battery successfully powered up my IPA, which supported my KCY > Neumann AK40 caps (KCY cables built by Nick).

I've used this set up nicely for a few recordings over the last few months.

Here's my set up, as per my previous post.  The battery lasts several recordings.

I had messaged Jon about a 5V > 12V USB-A to 1.7mm adapter cable last month, and he mentioned to me that it is still under development, but expected to be available by the end of the year.
thats nice but I rather have a tb with built in battery personally. Less fuss and potential issues

The IPA runs on a A23 battery.  Naiant says for 20hrs but I never used one for more than 3.  Have one of the cables guys make a chopped XLR>stereo mini cable and that makes it less fussy.  The IPA is available now and less expensive than the tinybox was when it was available.

I would be nice to know how long the A23 would last using the different mics out there--maybe some of the owners could do the test.

The Naiant website states that the battery life with an A23 is down to ~5 hours with a 60v stereo circuit like with a KCY.

I like my IPA as well, sounds great, etc. But I'd rather not have to throw a battery into a landfill every time I tape a show.

Noah, you could use a 9.6volt 9v rechargeable battery with the IPA. I am using a powerex 9.6v 230mah rechargeable, voltage fully charged is around 10.3v, IPA spec says external power from 9 - 15v. Currently testing runtime with mine, 12 hours and still running with the red external power light on, battery is down to 9.7v. I tried an alkaline 9v and it ran just under 3 hours before the orange low battery light came on ran for awhile with the low battery light on, I didn’t test it until it died. The battery is almost the same width as the IPA so it can still make it a nice compact setup while still having a rechargeable option.

Any

Any chance of pictures and links to the equipment need to power an IPA?
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline crunchy

• Taperssection Member
    • My List
« Reply #203 on: July 20, 2018, 09:42:50 AM »
Its pretty simple, I had the power supply that Naiant sells I hacked off the connector end to use that with one of the premade 9v battery clips with leads. Here is a link to the battery, leads and image of the setup. I just need to shorten the cable now that I know it works.

I ended up stopping the test after 24 hours. Forgot to mention I was powering MK4V's during the test and feeding a recorder via the 1/8" side connector.

BATTERY https://bhpho.to/2L7T30h
9V connector https://bit.ly/2mtM5E5
IPA images https://imgur.com/a/tsRCqUd. The power light looks orange in this photo, I think it was the overhead light washing it out a bit, but it is red and during my testing the voltage was always above 9.5v

there are some other links in this thread for the 4mm x 1.7mm plug for the IPA. Just have to wire positive to the center lead (Naiant IPA page has this info so might want to confirm before wiring up)

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2018, 01:09:18 PM »
Nice job! 
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2018, 01:16:16 PM »

I don't always use it, but I sometimes use a 3000mAH Talentcall 12v battery to power mine, which works fine. 

The IPA  shows a red light when using external power...
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline seethreepo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #206 on: July 20, 2018, 09:46:16 PM »
Its pretty simple, I had the power supply that Naiant sells I hacked off the connector end to use that with one of the premade 9v battery clips with leads. Here is a link to the battery, leads and image of the setup. I just need to shorten the cable now that I know it works.

I ended up stopping the test after 24 hours. Forgot to mention I was powering MK4V's during the test and feeding a recorder via the 1/8" side connector.

BATTERY https://bhpho.to/2L7T30h
9V connector https://bit.ly/2mtM5E5
IPA images https://imgur.com/a/tsRCqUd. The power light looks orange in this photo, I think it was the overhead light washing it out a bit, but it is red and during my testing the voltage was always above 9.5v

there are some other links in this thread for the 4mm x 1.7mm plug for the IPA. Just have to wire positive to the center lead (Naiant IPA page has this info so might want to confirm before wiring up)
thanks for your reply I found the external power cable on the naiant site but couldn’t for the life of me find a picture or detailed description.. since it seems you hacked yours for a 9 volt what does the stock cable connect to ?
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline crunchy

• Taperssection Member
    • My List
« Reply #207 on: July 21, 2018, 05:00:23 PM »
Stock connector from Naiant is to power the IPA from an AC wall outlet. You could probably find just the connector much cheaper than buying what I used. But since I already had it that’s what I used.

Offline zeus163

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2018, 02:17:30 AM »
For an IPA to use with MK4 and nbob (not the nbox cables) what gain would someone recommend? I use low on my tinybox, but don't remember what the gain setting is for that. I'm hoping someone can help me with what they are using.

Also, can anyone tell me what the pre-emphasis would be used for or what it does? I'm super dumb when it comes to all of this.

Thanks.
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2018, 11:20:01 AM »
I run my 4v>Nbob>ipa at 18 dB I believe mine is 0, 9 and 18. I treat it like a fixed gain pre 18 covers soft to loud.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.199 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com