Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Just bought a Shure FP24 - some questions  (Read 18481 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Just bought a Shure FP24 - some questions
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 02:13:49 PM »
Energizer advanced or ultimate. Buy them at Sam's Club. Per Jon's response above, I have no idea how long they'll last with 48V on and your mics. I ran my Nak 1000's on 15V for close to 4 hours with plenty of power left. I also used to run my SD MP2 with lithiums for 4 hour shows with no problems. KM184's>SDMP2 set at 48V.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:22:14 PM by ts »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 05:55:27 PM »
Energizer advanced or ultimate. Buy them at Sam's Club. Per Jon's response above, I have no idea how long they'll last with 48V on and your mics. I ran my Nak 1000's on 15V for close to 4 hours with plenty of power left. I also used to run my SD MP2 with lithiums for 4 hour shows with no problems. KM184's>SDMP2 set at 48V.

Thanks I'll give those a try.  Probably going to wind up with something rechargeable though.  Just found an old set of Energizer 1850mAh rechargables that I'll try first, but I'll then look for something more like 2400mAh in the meantime.

To Jon's point - My CM3s draw 3.5mA which is the same as your KM184s so I'm cautiously optomistic. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 06:50:36 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 11:13:37 AM »

Thanks I'll give those a try.  Probably going to wind up with something rechargeable though.  Just found an old set of Energizer 1850mAh rechargables that I'll try first, but I'll then look for something more like 2400mAh in the meantime.

To Jon's point - My CM3s draw 3.5mA which is the same as your KM184s so I'm cautiously optomistic.

Yes, if you intend on using it a lot, definitely go with another power solution. I don't use it that much so I find the Lithiums to be most convenient. Otherwise they're a huge waist.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 09:50:13 AM »
I just picked up one of these as well, does anyone know how long I could expect to power AKG 414's at 48v phantom with rechargables?
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline voltronic

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 11:09:06 AM »
I'm getting my FP24 on Monday, and I'm planning to do a runtime test with the rechargeables I have before I go out and buy higher-capacity ones.  Going to set the M10 to record in mp3 format, turn on 48V, put the gain up halfway and let it record while I'm out at work or over night.  I'm expecting that when I load the file up in software I'll be able to see / hear when the power starts dying.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 01:55:01 PM »
I ran a test like this a few months ago, and am sorry now that I didn't write down the details. In my case the batteries lasted so long that it no longer mattered for any practical recording that I would make nowadays; IIRC it was well over 10 hours, maybe a bunch longer.

However, I mainly use Schoeps CMC 6-- microphones, which can run either on 12-Volt or 48-Volt phantom powering, and I don't remember which setting I used. (In practice I would use the 12-Volt approach because it uses only half as much power: 5 mA x 48 V = 240 mW while 10 mA x 12 V = 120 mW.) It's definitely important to connect a pair of the type of microphone that you intend to use, because the current drawn by the phantom circuit in the preamp depends greatly on that; just having the phantom powering turned on, with nothing drawing the current, won't test much.

Also, the LED brightness setting matters in this; those LEDs use a lot of current, and I wish they could be made even dimmer than the dimmest standard setting.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline voltronic

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 06:42:58 PM »
Just got my FP24 and tested it out.  Really nice unit, and I can't believe that a piece of gear that is 12+ years old still performs this well.  Other than paint wear and some minor crud in the small switches and LEDs, the only real flaw in mine is a slightly scratchy headphone pot in one area.  The mic gain pots are totally clean.  I think I'm going to just use it as is for now, and then I'll send it to SD for a tune-up in the off season.  I was a bit nervous about buying something this old, but I'm glad I did.  Thanks to everyone here for the advice, as always.

Regarding the LEDs - I agree with DSatz, they are VERY bright and I also think they could have gone much dimmer on the low setting.  The max setting reminded me of when my 7th grade science teacher burned magnesium!

Just started my runtime test with the 1850mAh Energizer rechargables I have.  CM3s (drawing 3.5mA each), 50% gain, low meter brightness, Tape out, no headphones.  I'll report back on how it did, but these batteries are really old so I'm not expecting anything miraculous.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 10:58:58 PM »
Recording started squealing like a stuck pig at about 3 hours 40 minutes and cut out shortly thereafter.  I was also playing around with it for at least a half hour beforehand, making a few short recordings even briefly at max gain and dazzling myself with the meter lights.  I'd say conservatively I got 4 hours out of these very old rechargable batteries.  That's plenty good enough for now, but I still will probably pick up some higher capacity ones.  WOW is this preamp quiet!
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 08:16:05 AM »
The super-bright LEDs are actually quite handy when recording outdoors in full sun... Although I don't recommend  leaving them engaged full-time, sucks up a lot of juice.

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 10:15:17 AM »
WOW is this preamp quiet!

It is super nice man.  When the funds are available, I'll probably trade in my Mixpre and move up to a new Mixpre-D. :)

Whoring it up.  ;)
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 11:59:46 AM »
WOW is this preamp quiet!

It is super nice man.  When the funds are available, I'll probably trade in my Mixpre and move up to a new Mixpre-D. :)

Whoring it up.  ;)

The thing that keeps me from being all over the Mixpre-D is the power requirement. I can't run it off the 9v DVD batteries I already have.

I really like the USBPre2 but the form factor is leaving me a little uncomfortable in the bag. It's just made more for running on a desktop than in a more mobile scenario. The Mixpre/Mixpre-D is rugged with locking connectors, nothing on the "bottom" when you stand it up in a bag, etc.

I had a Mixpre for a while and it's great. Easy to power. I made a hirose battery cable of my own and I was all set. Kind of wish I still had it but had to choose between the Mixpre and USBpre2.

One thing about the FP24/Mixpre if it hasn't already been said, get yourself some mic pads or anything even moderately loud will push you in the red.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 05:04:47 PM »
I just picked up one of these as well, does anyone know how long I could expect to power AKG 414's at 48v phantom with rechargables?

Not an FP24 but I have a 2nd gen MixPre (non -D, Hirose external power input).  I actually did a runtime test using my 414s and rechargeables a few years back and, IIRC, barely got past the 2 hour mark when the "recording started squealing like a stuck pig" as voltronic put it.  414s draw a fair amount of juice so I'm not surprised I only got a few hours.  Ted made me a dual-input power cable so I can run the MixPre off DVD batteries and hot swap when necessary.  Runs forever now and I've yet to run into a situation where I had to hot swap the battery.  YMMV.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 05:34:39 PM »

Not an FP24 but I have a 2nd gen MixPre (non -D, Hirose external power input).  I actually did a runtime test using my 414s and rechargeables a few years back and, IIRC, barely got past the 2 hour mark when the "recording started squealing like a stuck pig" as voltronic put it.  414s draw a fair amount of juice so I'm not surprised I only got a few hours.  Ted made me a dual-input power cable so I can run the MixPre off DVD batteries and hot swap when necessary.  Runs forever now and I've yet to run into a situation where I had to hot swap the battery.  YMMV.
I can't run anything else off my Naztech without a power distribution box so I bought some Panasonic eneloop 2550 mah batteries hoping to get three hours out of them? I'll do some run tests tomorrow but I know the 414's are hogs with the LEDs. Two hours would work as long as there is a set break but if I could get three hours I'd be really happy.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline voltronic

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 06:31:54 PM »
They are selling these for cheap at my local grocery store - thinking I'll give them a shot given the thorough review here:
http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Rechargeable-Batteries-Duralock-Technology/product-reviews/B00DSYFAEQ/ref=cm_cr_dp_text?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=byRankDescending#R5USCMSI5N7I7
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 04:32:23 PM »
I did a run test today with my new Panasonic eneloop AA batteries. Running the FP24 at 3/4 gain, led on low & 414's I got 5:41 before it died. I'm extremely pleased with that performance, more than I'll ever need for the typical show & without having to swap batteries or turning the preamp off in between set. For $30 on amazon with a smart charger I think the eneloops are a great deal.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com