Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Analog -> Digital Conversion Equipment  (Read 7269 times)

Offline fishmansvacuum

• thedailyguru.net
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • youtube.com/thedailyguru
    • My Daily Music Blog
Analog -> Digital Conversion Equipment
« on: February 16, 2006, 12:52:08 PM »
I am going to need to do a TON of analong -> digital converting over the next few months/years...tapes/records to digital(cd) format....what is the BEST stuff to get for it? What are the EASIEST things to get for it?

all advice is greatly appreciated!!
"Intellectual pursuits for a lot of people are a luxury they can't afford, hence the popularity of mediocre everything." -Henry Rollins

"The strong man who is guilty saves himself at the expense of the innocent who is weak." -Rosseau

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: Analog -> Digital Conversion Equipment
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 12:55:58 PM »
sbm-1?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 01:16:35 PM »
Budget?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 01:24:42 PM »
If you're converting any vinyl, either invest in a record cleaning machine (nittygrittyinc.com, vpiindustries.com, etc.), or bring your records to a local store that cleans records.  Most good used record stores have one to clean their own inventory, and will often clean one of yours for around $1.00.  It's well worth it considering that any noise from that single playback will be immortalized digitally.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Roving Sign

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 01:34:09 PM »
Anyone know the hot record cleaner these days?

I have...too much...vinyl... :P

Offline tilomagnet

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 02:18:35 PM »
What is your budget?

It's really necessary that you get a good tape deck/turntable, because this will have the biggest impact on the quality of the result. Then you want to perform the A/D conversion outside of the computer, so you'll also need an external A/D converter and a soundcard that has digital inputs. If you have a  DAT recorder you could use it as A/D converter by just passing the signal through it.

You want to run something like that: Tape deck/turntable> A/D converter> digital cable> PC   
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 02:20:47 PM by tilomagnet »

Offline fishmansvacuum

• thedailyguru.net
    • My Daily Music Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 02:21:13 PM »
budget is unlimited...let me be a bit more clear....a rather well known friend of mine has a VERY extensive tape/record collection that he wants to convert to digital media...cd's...

he asked me if i'd figure out what the best stuff was for this...
"Intellectual pursuits for a lot of people are a luxury they can't afford, hence the popularity of mediocre everything." -Henry Rollins

"The strong man who is guilty saves himself at the expense of the innocent who is weak." -Rosseau

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 02:28:55 PM »
My Dad has a Nitty Gritty record cleaner. The difference is amazing. Ever records that appear to be clean can be cleaned up more and sound better. Well worth the investment.

Offline tilomagnet

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 03:02:22 PM »
budget is unlimited...let me be a bit more clear....a rather well known friend of mine has a VERY extensive tape/record collection that he wants to convert to digital media...cd's...

he asked me if i'd figure out what the best stuff was for this...

It's probably a good idea to check first if some of the shows have been transfered already. Are any of those tapes masters or low gens?

For analog transfers Nakamichis are the best tape decks. Of the 'classic' Nak decks the CR-7 and the Dragon are more than $500 in good condition, the other high end Naks(ZX 7, ZX 9 etc.) are (a bit) cheaper, but in general you may need to have the deck serviced before you can use them for transfers unless the seller had done that recently. As I said you can use for example a DAT recorder for the A/D conversion. The Audiophile 24/96 is a cheap bit-perfect soundcard.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 03:18:04 PM by tilomagnet »

Offline fishmansvacuum

• thedailyguru.net
    • My Daily Music Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 05:04:27 PM »
well, i am also trying to avoid the cassette->DAT if possible and run it right into my computer....i've got a ghetto version on my computer now and am trying to see what other options there are...

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 05:13:35 PM »
From what I understand about Nak decks, is that the 'data' is recorded on a narrower 'band' on the tape, unlike a non-Nak machine which uses the entire width of the tape. I think upon playback if the tape was not recorded on a Nak, information may be lost if a Nak deck is used. Does that make sense? I think this info is correct but I may be wrong.....

I like the Tascam 122 mk II/mk III cassette decks for transfer - great metering, XLR in/out, easy azimuth adjustment, dd motors, etc... ;)

good luck transferring!

o yea - make sure youi get a good phono pre-amp
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 05:34:51 PM »
budget is unlimited...

If this is truly the case, I'd recommend sending the recordings to a reputable pro operation and skip the whole DIY thing.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline fishmansvacuum

• thedailyguru.net
    • My Daily Music Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 05:36:01 PM »
budget is unlimited...

If this is truly the case, I'd recommend sending the recordings to a reputable pro operation and skip the whole DIY thing.

yeah...i had mentioned that....the person in question quite enjoys the process and wants to do it themself :)

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 05:44:16 PM »
Is the budget truly unlimited?  You realize that you could easily spend around $100k on a turntable alone if that's the case.  Never mind the cartridge, phono preamp, A>D, record cleaning system, etc.

If there really aren't financial limitations, consider placing some artificially based on the quality of the playback rig (speakers, amps, preamp, cd/dvd-audio player, etc).

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline fishmansvacuum

• thedailyguru.net
    • My Daily Music Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 05:47:23 PM »
ok fine...let's say that the person in question would like to keep it all in a "reasonable" price range...in this case, reasonable will mean under $2500 though that's just for arguements sake....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com