Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: cable with a glitch - help/opinions  (Read 3243 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
cable with a glitch - help/opinions
« on: June 08, 2012, 07:02:54 PM »
so I have used my tinybox twice
the first time i felt as though I heard something just not right but wasn't sure
last night I used it again and i clearly have an issue with what I believe is in a cable BUT could be the tb out
here is what happened...
show started and everything seemed fine
about 1 minute in there is a noise like someone hit the mic cap with something (which I know didn't happen)
about 6 minutes in the file gets "hotter" and the overall volume goes up

so I played around today making a test file at home
I moved around the TB > XLR adapter
moved around the 1/8 > 1/8 I had from the tb > m10
switched the output cable and moved that around

upon doing this, I found I can cause some noise but NOT like in last nights recording
does anyone have suggestions or ways I might be able to do more testing???
I am going to test the 1/8 cables with my lb but I have no way to test the XLR adapter or the tb out (without buying another cable) that I can think of
tia
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
Re: cable with a glitch - help/opinions
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 12:43:34 PM »
show started and everything seemed fine
about 1 minute in there is a noise like someone hit the mic cap with something (which I know didn't happen)
about 6 minutes in the file gets "hotter" and the overall volume goes up

Is this on both channels or just 1?  If it is both, then I wouldn't focus on the individual XLR connections.  It it's one channel, I would focus on the XLR's.

Does you TB have a "high power/low power switch"?  My LB does, and one time I accidentally ran my Gefells (which need 48v) with the switch set to lower power.  It passed sound but without adequate voltage the mics brickwalled.

Regarding the event of "about 1 minute in there is a noise like someone hit the mic cap with something".... I've seen cases where capsules are bothered by moisture, and it usually makes a distinctive "sizzle.... pop!". If you pull it up in an editor the wave will creep towards top or bottom extreme, then quickly jump to the other extreme, then decay back towards the center.  If this happens, that channel will probably be noisy all night.  Normally this would only effect 1 channel, but I've seen cases where it will also effect the other channel a little as well.

Any flakeyness with the battery/cable powering the TB?  I had that once.  Normally I think of a flakey battery cable as being off or on, one or the other, no in between.  But in the case of my LB things faded away and come back... I didn't suspect the battery cable at first... I was looking for other connections.  The way you said "overall volume increased after a few minutes" makes me wonder if your battery situation improved at that point as you were maybe wiggling things around.  This would effect both channels.

Edit: Just realized I answered a 3 week old post.  I presume you found something?  What was it?
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
Re: cable with a glitch - help/opinions
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 08:10:45 AM »
actually i have not found anything out really
it was one channel, or so it seemed, i didn't listen to it r/l but the wav form showed one channel clearly different
i have recorded a couple shows since BUT switched the set up around some
ie i used plug in mics instead of the full body, there where no issues
i did some home test with the full body and could somewhat replicate the issue by moving the input cable around but nothing that made me say yes this is the problem
i also noticed the output cable seemed kinda loose at the connector so i switched it for the home test and for the plug in shows
i'm hoping that was the real issue but until i have some stuff to record that i don't care about and can run the full body set up in bag and under real conditions i guess i will not know more
thanks
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com