Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SECRET soundboard patch...  (Read 20642 times)

Offline PH

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • can you fix it in the mix?
Re: SECRET soundboard patch...
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2015, 09:31:17 PM »
Yes you can use them. You need to be downstream of the last speaker in the chain.
I'm not sure what you mean by "zapping your mic" as you wouldn't plug your mic into the speakers.
You will get a mono version of the post-processed signal coming from FOH. 

Offline dakapc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2015, 01:58:35 AM »
Yes you can use them. You need to be downstream of the last speaker in the chain. You will get a mono version of the post-processed signal coming from FOH.

thanks, very useful info. I panic without a good backup in place

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2015, 07:06:33 AM »

Then it dawned on me - they were using powered speakers - that have an output (for chaining pairs together)...grabbed an XLR cable...POW! - soundboard feed right at my table.

At the club I record at they own 4 passive Yamaha s215v's that I always have access to and since the sound guy is almost always on the run or running behind I need a backup, Although it may not be an ideal way to go, I'd still like to know if I can use the parallel outs on the back of these into a portable recorder. they have XLR and 2- 1/4" outs. I've never tried it out of fear of zapping my mic. but if it's possible I can always use it as a backup source when the SB connection is unavailable or produces bad results from accidental changes made by the sound guy.

For passives you probably need a DI box...the "Secret" is for powered speakers - i.e. speakers with amps built in and pass though connections.

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2015, 07:30:15 AM »
JGB- Lunt-Fontanne theatre october 15-31 1987.  Tapers patching outta the speakers down by the bathrooms if i remember correctly.  I have my oringal poster framed on my wall from then.  Was young and in ahh with all the sites and sounds.  Would do it all over again!!! Ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

mfrench

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2015, 08:47:12 AM »
JGB- Lunt-Fontanne theatre october 15-31 1987.  Tapers patching outta the speakers down by the bathrooms if i remember correctly.  I have my oringal poster framed on my wall from then.  Was young and in ahh with all the sites and sounds.  Would do it all over again!!! Ed
Yep.  Old trick.
The Dead put speakers in the Long Beach Auditorium entrance vestibule area so that people could dance without having to take up aisle space; this was around that same time frame..
The speakers were set up outside the music hall, in the entrance area.  When I went in, I recognized a group of tapers hanging out mighty tight to the speakers.  I've never heard any recordings of them, but i know they're there.  The Dead did do stereo mixes, so I wonder if they were only getting part of a mixed stream?
My favorites were when Healy did the secret FM broadcasts during the 1987 summer run, when there was no taping due to the other bands in the lineups (Dylan, Lindley, Santana).  All you needed was a recorder and a small walkman-like tuner, and you were in there. Dead-Air 100.3 FM
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:49:32 AM by m0k3 »

Offline PH

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • can you fix it in the mix?
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2015, 10:04:56 AM »
As has mentioned before..... The signal has nothing to do with the speakers being "active or passive" or powered or unpowered. The signal will be passed to the output if it has one. Virtually every monitor has an output/pass through.

Also, a DI box will have zero effect on the signal coming out of a monitor/speaker. The only advantage to that would be converting the signal from TS to XLR, but completely unnecessary if your recorder can take a TS or TRS signal.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 12:14:54 PM by PH »

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2015, 02:20:58 PM »
As has mentioned before..... The signal has nothing to do with the speakers being "active or passive" or powered or unpowered. The signal will be passed to the output if it has one. Virtually every monitor has an output/pass through.

Also, a DI box will have zero effect on the signal coming out of a monitor/speaker. The only advantage to that would be converting the signal from TS to XLR, but completely unnecessary if your recorder can take a TS or TRS signal.

Isn't a passive speaker going to be pushing a much higher voltage? Maybe Im assuming the wrong thing here...

I've seen guys use DIs on tube amps speaker outs...

Offline dakapc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2015, 12:51:28 AM »

Great thanks for the in/out power/unpowered info.

I was with the poster above thinking it would have a lot of wattage passing through it (long time car stereo installer) so based on that old experience I was in the mindset of passing through the speakers the wattage would come through in attempt to run the next speaker in line and "ohm down" the power source as in car audio.

nothing to lose here, I have 2 old zoom h1's, I will run from the speaker xlr out via xlr to 3.5mm cable with the built in adjustable attenuator and see what happens.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2015, 01:15:31 AM »

Isn't a passive speaker going to be pushing a much higher voltage? Maybe Im assuming the wrong thing here...

I vote down any attempts to patch into passive speakers without explicit house permission and testing long before doors You are changing the load on the speakers.

Active speakers have line level outputs that could be patched. You are however working on the back panel of house equipment, with filter switches, volume pots, other processing, and the potential for affecting the show negatively.

Think of it as a board patch in a more/less convenient location. If you don't have permission, don't do it. I know crew who would not take kindly to finding a recorder patched into their PA.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2015, 07:54:01 AM »

I vote down any attempts to patch into passive speakers without explicit house permission and testing long before doors You are changing the load on the speakers.

Active speakers have line level outputs that could be patched. You are however working on the back panel of house equipment, with filter switches, volume pots, other processing, and the potential for affecting the show negatively.

Think of it as a board patch in a more/less convenient location. If you don't have permission, don't do it. I know crew who would not take kindly to finding a recorder patched into their PA.

^^^Agree^^^ (even if it is safe for your recorder) -  Way too risky to plug into passive speakers - you could really screw up the whole show if you had a bad cable or such...or turned on phantom, etc.

This "secret" approach is really best for small bar/club taping where you know someone in the band and/or permission and easy access to the connection. (like the speaker is right next to you table.)

Also - should make sure your patch cable is taped down with no possibility of a trip pulling the speaker/stand over.

Offline dakapc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2015, 09:44:24 PM »

[/quote]

^^^Agree^^^ (even if it is safe for your recorder) -  Way too risky to plug into passive speakers - you could really screw up the whole show if you had a bad cable or such...or turned on phantom, etc.

This "secret" approach is really best for small bar/club taping where you know someone in the band and/or permission and easy access to the connection. (like the speaker is right next to you table.)

Also - should make sure your patch cable is taped down with no possibility of a trip pulling the speaker/stand over.
[/quote]

I am friends with the owners and the promotions guy, he actually gets me all the permissions from national bands to record, so I won't have to worry about permissions, typically he has me come in 2 hours before doors to set up cameras so that will give us ample time to try it out at the next soundcheck before a show.

I feared there might be repercussions/risks that's why I asked, so I will use extreme caution and see what happens at the next soundcheck.

alternately, I do have the speaker specs so I could replicate the scenario with my speakers at home that are the same ohms and receiving a lot of power. if it's a hit or miss I will post that info back here once I am sure the results are consistent.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com