Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Some more warm mod UA-5 fluff  (Read 5592 times)

Offline adventuregeorge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Work, play hard, and... Drink Milk!!!
Some more warm mod UA-5 fluff
« on: April 24, 2005, 07:35:09 PM »
I must say... I REALLY  love this unit  ;D I've given it a good run and I'm soooo impressed.  What a sweet ass rig!! Doug has really got his stuff together on this mod. I've been running it with the TL's and they seem to work great together.  Pulled probably my sweetest tape with it a few weeks ago and the Boston Panic show, its on etree if anyone is curious.

I was quite skeptical at first when I sold my V3 and made the deal with Sterling, the thought I wouldn't like it.  almost sold it before using it, that's how much I wouldn't like it!!  I coudln't have been more off, I'm SO HAPPY I kept it and made some sweet ass tapes!! She's going to get a good run this summer  ;D

This is by far the best overall deal for the money as far as taping gear goes IMHO.  Well, thats my opinion and I welcome yours  ;)

Ray76

Re: Some more warm mod UA-5 fluff
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 08:55:39 PM »
I got a lot of compliments on my c4>wmod ua5 son volt tape friday. Doug mistakenly put the wrong mod on it (asked for a tplus mod, but he put the wmod on it by mistake) but its all ok now, plus it saved me some money.

Ray

Offline krebsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 08:36:26 AM »
I love my T+!!  A great value for sure.   8)
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Three rights make a left."

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 01:04:22 PM »
Your pull from the Boston Panic show is the best tape of the whole tour so far, one of the best audience tapes I've ever heard from a show like that.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 01:37:51 PM »
It's interesting to note that it's hard to get over the hump of comparing those boxes to other gear.  Almost everyone will pull out the phrase "for the money" or "great value" or something similar. 

With the Warm, Transparent, or Presence mod when you add the plus mod you can go ahead and feel unabashed at just going with "This thing kicks ASS!"

They sound better than most things out there for recording PA systems, no joke!

For studio or high gain applications you can argue, but for what we do here, YIKES!

Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline adventuregeorge

• Taperssection Member
  • Work, play hard, and... Drink Milk!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 04:56:05 PM »
Your pull from the Boston Panic show is the best tape of the whole tour so far, one of the best audience tapes I've ever heard from a show like that.

Thanks man  ;)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 05:33:42 PM »
My Warm Mod UA-5 Plus kicks ass plus.

+T on the WMod UA5, I run mine with ADK A51S LEs (matched pair A51S) and freekin' love it...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Ray76

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 05:56:50 PM »

+T on the WMod UA5, I run mine with ADK A51S LEs (matched pair A51S) and freekin' love it...

Terry

BTW , batt stuff works gret bud. +T
Ray

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 06:04:28 PM »

Terry

I Love it,   Warm Mod Kick Ass Plus!

+T

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 06:18:29 PM »
I just ordered my WMOD + w/ rechargeable bat last night, so now I get to try it out also. Man am I stoked! I can't wait to get this box.  ;D
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 09:41:54 PM »
sometimes i miss my old warm mod UA5.  i made some great recordings with it!  I sort of wish I had one now to run directly into my G4 PB for some easy 24bit laptop taping.

glad you guys are loving the ua5's.  best damn value for the money i say :)

Offline TaperBryan

• "Vicarious existence is a fucking waste of time"
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 12:06:51 AM »
so...yet again, which mod would fit w/ the 480s?  my guess is wmod?  or, i wonder how the wmod+ would sound?  anybody got any 480>wmod/wmod+ source?  keep in mind i have a full set of caps for the 480s, so ideally, i'd like the mod that will work/sound good w/ each set of caps. 

thoughts? 

thanks in advance.  oh, what does doug charge to mod to a  wmod  or a wmod+?

09/23/2020 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > NAIANT/pfa > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod) and/or Tascam DR-70D

03/22/19 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod) and/or Tascam DR-70D

12/17/11 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod)

02/07/07 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > Lunatec V3 and/or EAA-PSP2 > ODL-276 > Nomad JB3 and/or Sony TCD-D8 DAT

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 09:03:41 AM »

thanks in advance.  oh, what does doug charge to mod to a  wmod  or a wmod+?

150$
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline krebsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 09:15:07 AM »
How would you change the sound of your current setup? That's the question Doug asked when I contacted him about having mine modded.  Would you like it to have more emphasis on the bottom end?. Would you like it to be tighter and evenly balanced sonically?  Would you like more sparkle to your sound? Listen to some of your tapes and figure out how you might like to adjust the sound you are getting.  I think all of the mods greatly improve the sound quality of the UA-5 overall. The tough part is figuring out what flavor you want. FWIW, I loved my t-mod+ with 391/93's, but that may be apples/oranges compared to the 480's.
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Three rights make a left."

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 12:13:01 PM »
Better hurry... There's only two left!

for the 480's... it's up to you but if you like tubes go with the Warm+, if not the T+  If you like the sound of the AKG's then I don't think that the PMod would be the box for you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com