Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is this a decent gear bag? EDIT: Yes it is!  (Read 9455 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Is this a decent gear bag? EDIT: Yes it is!
« on: September 29, 2014, 06:51:14 PM »
I was going to buy this:
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Backpack-DSLR-Cameras-Accessories/dp/B002VPE1WK/ref=pd_cp_p_0

Then I just came across this, and think it might be a better choice to allow me to keep everything more accessible:
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Large-Gadget-Orange-interior/dp/B00CF5OHZ2/ref=pd_cp_p_0/177-0194371-0303366

Obviously it's not in the same league as something like a PortaBrace or Petrol, but neither is it priced as such.  I don't want to spend more than 50 bucks on a bag, and I think this might do it.  I really like that all the dividers can be moved.  The tablet pocket looks like it could be a good spot for mics.

Here's the gear it would be holding:

Mics: Line Audio CM3, Naiant X-Q (both are tiny and in their own little Pelican case right now)
Dead Muppets for the CM3s
Shure FP24 (MixPre)
Naiant tinybox w/ P48 adaptor and charger
Sony PCM-M10
Cables: 15' snaked XLR pair; 6' separate pair, 6' mini stereo, 9" mini stereo
Super Clamp
AA batteries and charger
My NOS mic mount, which just fits into a zippered cash bag: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=169881.0

The mic mount and FP24 are the biggest items, and and I'm thinking the mount can just lay on top of everything.  I do not have right-angle cables so for now I would need some extra inches on the left side of the FP24. 

Does this look like it would be a safe buy, or does anyone have any better (still cheap) recommendations?

The other avenue I was looking into was a small Pelican attache case to hold the mics, preamps and recorder, and that I would slide into the large compartment of my regular old REI backpack I'm using now, and continue to use the smaller pockets for the cables, batteries, clamp, etc.  That seems like it would take me even longer to set up though, with a big case inside a big bag so I'm not crazy about that idea.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:41:46 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Is this a decent gear bag?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 08:32:16 PM »
Both would be just fine. I use lowepro bags which aren't very expensive but still of great quality. The back back is better if you have a bad shoulder or back, it is easier to carry if your stuff weighs a lot. I'm thinking about going to a backpack soon, I walked a couple miles with my big rig and my back and shoulder were sore for a few days.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline voltronic

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:49:33 PM »
Yeah I like the backpack from a comfort standpoint, but it's only an issue when I'm following marching band around during the fall season.  Now that I have an FP24, I want to be able to have the controls of that facing up and accessible when I pop open the bag, as well as the tinybox if I decide to use that.  There's no good way I can figure out how to do that with my current pack or with a DSLR pack.  Also for indoor stuff, I think the other bag looks much better when my rig is in line of sight of the audience.

This Amazon bag actually will fit in the large compartment of my REI pack if I ever need to haul it a long distance.  A bag within a bag seems a bit silly but the REI pack is very comfortable when loaded, although inconvenient for carrying this kind of gear.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 09:41:20 PM »
Well I just got to use this Amazon bag for 3 concerts and I really love it.  It is small and compact and holds everything I need.  Best of all, really cheap.  In the pic below:

Back-left compartment: Naiant X-Q omnis (red/gray case); Naiant tinybox (black cloth bag)
Back-right compartment: Line Audio CM3s (Otterbox case); Etymotic headphones right above
Front compartment: Sony PCM-M10 (black neoprene case); Shure FP24

When M10 is removed from its storage area during use, there is ample room to the left of the FP24 to connect mic cables.

Front zip: mic and interconnect cables
Left and right zip compartments: batteries, chargers, cable ties, stand adapters
Top flap mesh pouch: Tinybox P48 adapter

Not shown: NOS mic mount in banker's bag, lays right on top of main compartment and is held in place by top zippered lid.

Now I just need to find out where to stick the super clamp - it's just a bit too big for the side pouches.  If I decided ahead of time which mics and which preamp I'm using then it could easily go in one of those places.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Is this a decent gear bag? EDIT: Yes it is!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 12:23:50 PM »
I start to worry about putting a superclamp in the same bag with my electronics, and will often carry a second bag for the hardware items. 

Another thought is to leave the superclamp on the stand, but put leave the mounting stud on whatever I'm attaching to it. 

Nice bag.  Given your outdoor recording, have you thought about treating it with water repellent?

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 12:32:41 PM »
Nice setup. I like seeing shots of other folks' bags to get ideas. thanks for sharing

It was recommended to me to close the clamp on the bag strap right near the base where it latches to the bag. It's a good compromise when the bag is small and doesn't have space or for when a heavy clamp will prove risky to include inside.

Through experience I've gotten better at anticipating what I will need for an event better but I still hate having to leave stuff behind just to keep the bag lighter and I also like to switch things up now and then and that has a tendency to cause me to forget about something I usually take for granted.

I'm noodling ideas for a second, less mobile bag or something like a fishing tackle box or tool box to keep little bits and adapters and stuff that I don't always need but when you get a curve ball it's nice to have nearby. I could then leave that in the trunk of my car just in case. Being a little bit mobile is helpful but in most situations it would stay in the car to aid in those "Oh %$*& !" moments.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:41:19 PM by Ultfris101 »
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline voltronic

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 05:42:17 PM »
I start to worry about putting a superclamp in the same bag with my electronics, and will often carry a second bag for the hardware items. 

Another thought is to leave the superclamp on the stand, but put leave the mounting stud on whatever I'm attaching to it. 

Nice bag.  Given your outdoor recording, have you thought about treating it with water repellent?

Good idea on the superclamp.  I often use it without the stand though for outdoor stuff, so I might just have to carry it separately.

I actually have a marching band competition this Saturday, and was planning on hitting it with some Scotch Guard at least before then.  Long-term, I'd like to get some sort of rain fly but can't find one appropriate for this kind of bag other than the expensive PortaBrace ones.  I might just get something like this since it's so cheap, and if it's too big I'll just overlap it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Travel-Hiking-Backpack-Camping-Dust-Rain-Cover-Rucksack-Resist-Waterproof-Bag/111414107744?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D25217%26meid%3Da8bbd2f63b3b42258df81fe93b762a5d%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D10629%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D331262941015&rt=nc
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 02:33:22 PM »
Black garbage bag works in a pinch for cheap. 

Offline greenmtnsrider

• Taperssection Regular
    • My Shows
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 07:39:55 PM »
I picked up this bag based on the recommendation of the OP. Getting tired of lugging everything around in a mountain smith bag. Hopefully this is more what I'm looking for. For the price you really can't go wrong!
Mics: Schoeps CMC6/mk4| AKG C414b XLII/ST| AKG c460b/ck61| AKG se300B/Ck91, Ck92, Ck93| Church Audio CA-14 (C/O)| Tascam iM2
Preamps: Lunatec V2| Shure FP24| Naiant PIPsqueak
Decks: Sound Devices Mixpre10t| Tascam Portacapture X8| Tascam DR-70d| Tascam DR-2D
Cables: GAKables XLR

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »
Is the black case in there a Cigar Caddy for mics?
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 04:38:40 PM »
FWIW I wouldn't be using a superclamp for stand clamping -- way too heavy.

I use mine for balcony clamping, and have found the easiest way to travel is to leave the Superclamp and stud connected to the extension bar, so I can carry them both around as one.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline voltronic

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 05:45:16 PM »
Is the black case in there a Cigar Caddy for mics?
No, it's a small Otterbox (Pelican clone) that just has my CM3s.  I bought some pluck foam lining meant for a similar sized Pelican case and trimmed to fit. 

I actually plan to purchase a small 2-stick Cigar Caddy because then that would hold both pairs of my mics since they're so small.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 10:01:16 PM »
I bought one of these bags a few months ago and love it. Perfect size. And mine does hare a cigar caddy for my Berliners

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 01:51:08 AM »
Are the Berliners an extremely tight fit in the Cigar Caddy?
I just got a 2 cigar and 5 cigar size just yesterday, and I was a little nervous closing the lid with my Busmans in there.
The Nakamichis are a little narrower , but the Busmans - scared me a little bit.
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 08:18:02 AM »
Are the Berliners an extremely tight fit in the Cigar Caddy?
I just got a 2 cigar and 5 cigar size just yesterday, and I was a little nervous closing the lid with my Busmans in there.
The Nakamichis are a little narrower , but the Busmans - scared me a little bit.

No, not really. I could see slightly fatter mics being way snug, but the Berliners fit pretty perfectly

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com