Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any reason to not use a CO2 box for DAT > JB3 transfers?  (Read 2960 times)

Offline rockumal

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Any reason to not use a CO2 box for DAT > JB3 transfers?
« on: September 24, 2018, 08:16:30 PM »
I apologize if this is a stupid question or in the wrong place.

Would there be any reason to not use a CO2 box for DAT to JB3 transfers?  A friend loaned me their JB3 to try and encourage me to transfer my back catalog of mainly SBD masters. 

I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere a while back that there was some kind of "degradation" going S/PDIF to optical?

I'd be using Tascam DA-20mkII > CO2 (spdif > optical) > JB3.  I just don't want to take the time to transfer all these tapes if the end product will be compromised in any way.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 11:33:12 PM by rockumal »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Any reason to not use a CO2 box for DAT > JB3 transfers?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 01:15:10 PM »
Jitter can sometimes be greater with optical S/P-DIF connections than with electrical ones. But the recorder should "slave" itself to the incoming data on a sample per sample basis, and should record each sample exactly as received. So as long as the connection maintains its integrity, the jitter shouldn't matter.

The situation becomes more complicated if the receiving equipment (mixer or recorder) uses asynchronous sampling rate converters on its inputs. But your recorder doesn't.

--best regards
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 01:17:25 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 01:28:14 PM »
I apologize if this is a stupid question or in the wrong place.

Would there be any reason to not use a CO2 box for DAT to JB3 transfers?  A friend loaned me their JB3 to try and encourage me to transfer my back catalog of mainly SBD masters. 

I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere a while back that there was some kind of "degradation" going S/PDIF to optical?

I'd be using Tascam DA-20mkII > CO2 (spdif > optical) > JB3.  I just don't want to take the time to transfer all these tapes if the end product will be compromised in any way.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

Couple of things:

Are you able to get the WAV files off the JB3 w/ the software Transfer process???  I assume so...

I used an MAudio CO2 several times and got a few drop-outs that were not on the DAT.  I switched to a Hosa ODL276 and have never had any issues. 

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 02:52:36 PM »
^^^^^  the converter was the issue for most, if you went hosa you were relatively safe

Offline rockumal

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 01:17:47 PM »
Thanks DSatz, Terry and todd e--REALLY appreciate the replies!  Turns out I actually have the Hosa ODL-312 so it's time to get to work  >:D :guitarist::headphones:

+t to all of you!  How long ago were tickets removed LOL

EDIT: of course the JB3 and high sierra don’t work together. Thanks again for the tip Terry—so glad i checked before churning through the lot!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 08:13:14 PM by rockumal »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com