Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone know whats going on with Leonard at Sonic Studios???  (Read 12519 times)

Offline celticray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Anyone know whats going on with Leonard at Sonic Studios???
« on: September 21, 2017, 09:20:30 AM »
Ive used a HR09, pager size sonic studios preamp, and DSM mics to stealth for the last 10 years and have had good results. Usually rock/jazz concerts.  A few weeks ago I sent the dsm mics in for a minor repair after corresponding with Leonard around May.  Like an idiot I just sent them insured without requiring a signature.  Over the years he has been extremely helpful so I didnt really think twice about this.... now I find out that I have no contact with him via email or phone.   I hope he is alright as this is out of character....Does anyone know whats going on?

Ive got something I want to pull in a month and I'm about to give up hope on getting the DSM mics back; so Im thinking about plan B.   I have always wanted to upgrade the method/equipment but probably cant drop 3k at one time and a two week turnaround probably wont work for ordering great mics.
Can anyone recommend stealth mics that would be compatable with the HR09 and PA-SX preamp?? Im now thinking of getting a sony pcm-d100 and then getting mics and something like a USBPre2 later on.  In the meantime I would attempt to pull the shows with the sony internal mics.   Other archivist's may be there but I would want to try something like that.

Any ideas on how to get up and running within 3 weeks?
Please let me know if you have any status on Leonard.
Thanks!!

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Anyone know whats going on with Leonard at Sonic Studios???
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 09:39:50 AM »
Input: Monday(09-18-17) I called the number listed on his site and it came back "No Voice mail box setup"
I sent an e-mail, no reply yet.
Hope he/they are OK.

We are just looking to have an old pair of DSM's repaired, so I was willing to wait for a reply.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 12:04:42 PM »
The CSBs & battery box, or the CA-14 or the AT853 with the CA-9100 would all make a fine set up and great deals here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=183140.0

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=183629.0

Ive used a HR09, pager size sonic studios preamp, and DSM mics to stealth for the last 10 years and have had good results. Usually rock/jazz concerts.  A few weeks ago I sent the dsm mics in for a minor repair after corresponding with Leonard around May.  Like an idiot I just sent them insured without requiring a signature.  Over the years he has been extremely helpful so I didnt really think twice about this.... now I find out that I have no contact with him via email or phone.   I hope he is alright as this is out of character....Does anyone know whats going on?

Ive got something I want to pull in a month and I'm about to give up hope on getting the DSM mics back; so Im thinking about plan B.   I have always wanted to upgrade the method/equipment but probably cant drop 3k at one time and a two week turnaround probably wont work for ordering great mics.
Can anyone recommend stealth mics that would be compatable with the HR09 and PA-SX preamp?? Im now thinking of getting a sony pcm-d100 and then getting mics and something like a USBPre2 later on.  In the meantime I would attempt to pull the shows with the sony internal mics.   Other archivist's may be there but I would want to try something like that.

Any ideas on how to get up and running within 3 weeks?
Please let me know if you have any status on Leonard.
Thanks!!
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline furburger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 04:18:37 PM »
https://www.linkedin.com/in/leonard-lombardo-5a65b96/

https://www.facebook.com/leonard.lombardo.9

Former Owner/Operator/Retired at Sonc Studios
Former Tech, engineer, consultant, business owner, retired at IBM, Signetics, Farchild Semiconductor, EIP. National Nuclear
Studied at San Jose City College
Went to Willow Glen High School
Lives in Sutherlin, Oregon
Married
From Boulder Creek, California

not sure if any of that helps
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:21:14 PM by furburger »
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 03:57:06 AM »
website is gone, so....

Sonic Studios
1311 Sunny Ct
Sutherlin, OR 97479
Title:    Owner
Phone:    (541) 459-8839
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline lushka

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 07:57:15 AM »
Hi,

Have you been able to reach Leonard via this phone number?

Thanks

website is gone, so....

Sonic Studios
1311 Sunny Ct
Sutherlin, OR 97479

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 11:52:58 AM »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 09:05:50 AM »
Hi,

Have you been able to reach Leonard via this phone number?

Thanks

website is gone, so....

Sonic Studios
1311 Sunny Ct
Sutherlin, OR 97479
I called that number three times in January as we inherited a 20 year old set of Sonic Studios and wanted them repaired. There was an ability to leave a message iirc, but no callback. SO NO, I was unable to reach him at this number (in January 2018).
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 11:19:00 AM »
I ordered a four channel preamp from Sonic Studios almost two years ago, configured for DPA microdot inputs.  Leonard was eager to get cash upfront and I was stupid enough to send it.  The product was promised for a few weeks out, then delayed for excuses that got weirder and weirder.  After six months he stopped answering my calls (and then the phone was cut off) or emails.  With the excuses for non-performance there NEVER was an offer to return my money.  Buyers beware.

Offline DATBoy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 05:54:55 PM »
I ordered a four channel preamp from Sonic Studios almost two years ago, configured for DPA microdot inputs.  Leonard was eager to get cash upfront and I was stupid enough to send it.  The product was promised for a few weeks out, then delayed for excuses that got weirder and weirder.  After six months he stopped answering my calls (and then the phone was cut off) or emails.  With the excuses for non-performance there NEVER was an offer to return my money.  Buyers beware.

I am speculating that the reason for this is because maybe he was having some real financial issues?

Sounds all too weird, given the fact that I've ran across so many recordings over the years made with Sonic Studios gear. There was no reason for me to believe this company had issues with being reliable in the past.

Oh yeah, I ran across this too. Looks like you all won't be getting your stuff back, sadly enough. (edit: it might be the wrong one, but what are the odds? Some of those cases appear to be quite old too.)
https://www.juralindex.com/lombardo-leonard.html
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 05:59:34 PM by DATBoy »

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 06:19:18 PM »
He may be ill. You never know.

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 06:29:29 PM »
Just wanted to throw in my .02 and update this thread.  Had some DSM-6/L cleaned with windscreens replaced.  That was about 2016-17.  I may have had one of the last completed orders.  Leonard has not been on TS since 2016.

I have a warm spot for SS mics.  First saw a pair at the Warfield Theater in the early 90s.  Leonard developed a super HQ stealth system before almost anyone, and I pulled some amazing tapes that became well known and traded.  I’ll likely hold on to my DSMs and bass module.  They should be good to go for another 10-20 years with care.

Hope Leonard is OK but the silence is ominous.

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 05:25:54 PM »
Just wanted to throw in my .02 and update this thread.  Had some DSM-6/L cleaned with windscreens replaced.  That was about 2016-17.  I may have had one of the last completed orders.  Leonard has not been on TS since 2016.

I have a warm spot for SS mics.  First saw a pair at the Warfield Theater in the early 90s.  Leonard developed a super HQ stealth system before almost anyone, and I pulled some amazing tapes that became well known and traded.  I’ll likely hold on to my DSMs and bass module.  They should be good to go for another 10-20 years with care.

Hope Leonard is OK but the silence is ominous.

yeah, been using mine for 24 years now.

pretty sure he has ceased doing business
-------------

Offline manfunkel

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 12:48:21 PM »
I talked with him by phone in May of 2018.  He was he was retired and would no longer service or repair Sonic Studios mics.

Offline DATBoy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 11:34:00 PM »
I talked with him by phone in May of 2018.  He was he was retired and would no longer service or repair Sonic Studios mics.

How wonderful how he notified his customers!  :facepalm:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.13 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com