Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Noobie seeks Aud/Sbd matrix advice  (Read 5901 times)

Offline Zydeco Jed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Noobie seeks Aud/Sbd matrix advice
« on: January 05, 2014, 11:00:15 AM »
Howdy o wise ones! :D I'm in a band called Zydeco Jed in MD and we always record our small club shows. Mackie 1604 Sbd alone to a Tascam stereo CD burner and Aud Zoom recorders. I would like to improve our simple recordings by matrixing SBD and AUD feeds. After reading a number of postings on this site I thought I'd ask for learned opinions. I have a limited budget but here's what I thought I'd do.
   Purchase a Mackie 4 channel SBD (which I can use in other applications) and a reasonably priced budget compressor stereo microphone. Stick the mic onstage pointed at the audience(?) and feed it through the snake back to the 4 channel board, mix about 70% stage to 30% SBD and record CDs on the Tascam and daisy chain a Zoom. I'll have Main out and Tape out to work with and a soundman to twiddle and tweak. Already have some OK Sennheiser headphones.
  Does this rig sound OK? What do you recommend for a Microphone? I saw a budget stereo compresseor by XLM(?) the 990 I think.
Point the mic at the band or the crowd? I don't really want to get into two pairs of mics. If I'm going to drop a lot of money I'll get a new firewire soundboard and multitrack shows for later mixdown.
  Please weigh in. What Mic, mic placement, will the rig work, etc. Thanks!

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Noobie seeks Aud/Sbd matrix advice
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 12:21:17 PM »
I'd recommend just buying some sort recorder that can do up to 4 channels, something like a edirol r26, tascam dr-2d or tascam dr-60d and getting a cable and running the board feed into the 3.5mm jack, with the line in setting. Then getting a decent or cheep set of omni or cardioid microphones and putting them I'm the back by the board. Then mix them together afterward and get a really good sound.

The reason I said omnis is that if you just want the room sound and the crowd, they will get that well. Even cardioids would do really well in that situation. That way you can mix it the way you like it to sound.

A few microphone suggestions under $200
Samson cl-2: good mics I have a pair, they come with a mounting bar, shockmounts, case, omni and cardioid capsules so you can choose what you like more. They come with everything but cables
Monoprice stereo pair: on amazon for $104 heard they are pretty decent only cardioid capsule.
MXL-603s: they look pretty decent but I don't know much about them

Then for the recorders, an r-26 is expensive but very good, but not my first choice
The dr-60d would be my favorite probably they have good preamps that do phantom power, they can be powered by the USB port, but always have batteries in the tray incase something goes wrong, they are just nice and easy tools
The dr-2d is good I hear but It doesn't have internal preamps for the mic, so you'd have to power the mics some other way.

My suggestion though its expensive is Samson cl2 and a tascam dr-60d, should be about $500, but that's a solid rig.

How I'd set it up, put the mics in the back by the board then run the mics into the tascam xlr input with the phantom on, and board into the 3.5 jack. Or put the mics onstage pointed at the audience but I wouldn't put the omnis pointed at the audience, use cards or anything directional, the omnis might get some funky low end pickup.

There is one last idea, but may be a little touch if to loud, a tascam dr-40 can run with the internal mics and an external stereo feed. So sbd on the xlr/1/4 jacks and then the recorder back by the board, but I don't know how well the mics handle loud volume.

Hope that helps,
Good luck and its always more money than you want it to be!
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline Boomoperator

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 06:58:44 PM »
I'm also pro recording them separate on a 4 track recorder. Think you better mix afterwards, on a good set of loudspeakers, instead of at a loud gig with a not so great headphone & amp. Besides if any delay, or phase issues or overloud drunk audience occur, you'd be able to control that (afterwards). Microphone placement depends on the venue, most likely pointed towards the audience, preferably a little high, to capture a more general sound. Don't know the mic you mention, but do take a look at Rode NT4, Shure VP88, and Audio Technica (they have a couple of stereomics). Another affordable 4 track recorder is the new Zoom H6.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 08:09:30 PM »
you would serve serve yourself better by mixing in post

as far as recorders...
the Zoom H6 (4 channels, 6 with added XLR module) is affordable and will work fine feeding it Line In (I've never used the Mic In setting due to stories about self noise)
they may be alright but I use external mic preamps
the Tascam DR680 (6 channels, 8 by using external mic preamp with Digital Out) is affordable and they seem to be more reliable than when they first came out
(I had the first one in the world to have the main board crap out) the Mic Ins are adequate
the Tascam DR-2d is very affordable but discontinued and only accepts 1/8" in (fine if you use mics that require Plug IN Power) again, I use external mic preamps

I have no experience with the other recorders mentioned by others here, so I will not comment on those

as far as mics...
whats your total budget? that makes alot of difference
since you are planning on mixing with the SBD source you can get by with less expensive mics than if you were using mics alone
I'm sure the budget mics mentioned above will work for starters but you may end up wanting better down the road

are far as placement...
I tend to run my mics (sometimes 2 pairs) by the SBD and move the file(s) forward in post production to sync them to the SBD source
since you are working with the band you can easily set your mics onstage and run thru the snake and then you shouldn't have the phase issue
experiment with different placement for various venues and see which sounds best to you
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:11:19 PM by darby »

Offline Zydeco Jed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:35:34 PM »
Thanks everybody! This has been really helpful to me. I'm abandoning the idea of a mixing board in favor of a multi track recorder.
  How does this sound? Zoom H-6 and two MXL 603 pencil condenser mics? Use the 603s's onstage, the H-6 onboard mics at the SBD and feed the SBD mix in, mix it down later and correct the time delay from the onboard mics?
Am I on the right track? Point the 603's at the band?

Offline Zydeco Jed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 12:45:15 PM »
Hey Phil Zone! When you were mentioning the MXL 603 microphones you used the suffix "s"
There are 603, 603s, 603spr
WTF?
Sorry I'm so needy. Just trying to talk to those who may know!

Offline Phil Zone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 12:54:26 PM »
Hey Phil Zone! When you were mentioning the MXL 603 microphones you used the suffix "s"
There are 603, 603s, 603spr
WTF?
Sorry I'm so needy. Just trying to talk to those who may know!

They were the 603s

http://www.amazon.com/MXL-603S-INSTRUMENT-Wired-With-Mogami/dp/B0009TD5X6

Like I Said, I've never heard them in use so I'd say the Samson cl2 mics would be my choice because they come with everything you need. But the 603s look very nice and the  curve in them is not bad looking, I'm sure they will be fine.

On the h6 make sure you get that extra piece so you can run all 6 channels , I'm pretty sure you need that, but I could be wrong so look into that.

That all said, that's a great rig, just make sure that's there are no phase issues and your golden!

Any more questions that you may have, please ask away.
Once you make a recording please share so we call can listen!
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

kirk97132

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 03:34:49 PM »

The dr-60d would be my favorite probably they have good preamps that do phantom power, they can be powered by the USB port,

While the DR-680 will power up when plugged into USB, you cannot use it as a recorder in USB mode.  Unless you are using it as a harddrive and recording files to it.  And, then if you wanted to use it for playback the file names would need to follow tascam naming conventions.  If you meant it can be powered externally then the answer is yes.  You can send DC power into the deck via the external power jack.  9-12 volts.  There are some who seem to have issues with 9 volt power and others that don't.  And the 680 CANNOT, have power exceed 12 volts without the risk of frying the deck.  All 680 owners agree that having batteries in it as backup power is essential since the loss of power makes file recovery nearly impossible once that happens. 

Marshall7

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 03:40:30 PM »
Use the 603s's onstage, the H-6 onboard mics at the SBD and feed the SBD mix in, mix it down later and correct the time delay from the onboard mics?

Lots of people think the more tracks you add, the better it will sound.  Will the onboard mics really improve the SBD/603 mix?

Offline Phil Zone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 03:45:43 PM »

The dr-60d would be my favorite probably they have good preamps that do phantom power, they can be powered by the USB port,

While the DR-680 will power up when plugged into USB, you cannot use it as a recorder in USB mode.  Unless you are using it as a harddrive and recording files to it.  And, then if you wanted to use it for playback the file names would need to follow tascam naming conventions.  If you meant it can be powered externally then the answer is yes.  You can send DC power into the deck via the external power jack.  9-12 volts.  There are some who seem to have issues with 9 volt power and others that don't.  And the 680 CANNOT, have power exceed 12 volts without the risk of frying the deck.  All 680 owners agree that having batteries in it as backup power is essential since the loss of power makes file recovery nearly impossible once that happens.

That is true about the dr-680 but I said dr-60d they are different models. The 60d is power able via USB.

kirk97132

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 04:08:44 PM »

That is true about the dr-680 but I said dr-60d they are different models. The 60d is power able via USB.
Thgats what I get for reading without my glasses on...My eyes told my bair it said 680 not 60D..... :facepalm:

stevetoney

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 02:43:36 PM »
IMHO, some of the best sounding audience matrix recordings are a 4 channel mix where 2 of the channels are a good balanced mix from the SBD and the other two channels are from an AUD pair recorded from the sweet spot in the venue.  If you don't have anyone availalbe to watch a mic stand in the sweet spot, I'd stick with a forward pointing pair at the SBD.  I've heard many great recordings where the ambient pair were at the board.

If it was me and I was doing this on your budget, I wouldn't bother with a separate pair of mics pointed backwards towards the aud from stage.  IMHO, you'll get enough of the audience with your forward pointing pair to sound right.  Doubling up the aud between what you get direct with a backward pointing pair and a forward pointing pair is probably going to be overkill anyway, since it's just the audience.  Frankly, more times than not, you're trying to limit, not accentuate the audience in your ambient mics. 

So, of the two locations, I'd put a much higher priority on having a forward pointing pair over the pair from the stage pointing backwards.  The reason is you want your ambient mics to pick up the room acoustics and the reverb created by the music.  Obvioulsy, you're aware that a SBD on its own is stale and lifeless.  It's the matrix between your ambient pair and your SBD that gives a nicely mixed SBD recording depth and life.  Of course, if the FOH guy gives you a crappy SBD mix to your recorder, nothing can fix that.  I've had mixes where it's all vocals and no drums because he fed me the room mix and didn't have time to mix to a separate bus for my recording.

If I had a larger budget with full control, and lots of mics and recording tracks, yeah then I might consider doing what Phish, Umphrey's and some of them do when they turn a pair of mics around and record the audience, but that would be one of my lowest priorities for getting a good live SBD/aud matrix.     

EDIT:  One of the problems with getting a pair from the sweet spot and another pair of tracks from the board is that it ususally means you'll need two recorders.  Synching the recordings up in post can be somewhat of a bitch.  And to my ears, I think a poorly syched recording sucks and I can picke them out in a nano second...I hate hearing a poorly tracked matrix...where each drum beat sounds like it's done in front of a brick wall....where if you listen realy closely you'll hear two stuccato type beats in quick succession.  It's simply AMAZING to me how much I hear shitty sounding masters on pro shot videos...like when I watch on Palladia and there's a pro shot vid on TV where the sound guys apparently didn't even know how to eliminate the channel delay from the master sound.  Watch I think it's Hangout festival 2013 on Palladia...nice vids but just shitty sound.  Anyway, if you have time to mess with your recordings, it's not THAT big a deal to get the trcks syched in post, but if that's not something you want to deal with, then I'd just go with the abmient mics being recorded from the SBD area onto a 4 track recorder.  In that case, your tracks will have proper synch and the only thing you might need to fix in post is a sound delay difference between the SBD and the aud feed, but that only takes seconds to fix.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:09:04 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 04:44:45 PM »
I'd put a much higher priority on having a forward pointing pair over the pair from the stage pointing backwards.  The reason is you want your ambient mics to pick up the room acoustics and the reverb created by the music.  Obvioulsy, you're aware that a SBD on its own is stale and lifeless.  It's the matrix between your ambient pair and your SBD that gives a nicely mixed SBD recording depth and life.  Of course, if the FOH guy gives you a crappy SBD mix to your recorder, nothing can fix that.  I've had mixes where it's all vocals and no drums because he fed me the room mix and didn't have time to mix to a separate bus for my recording.

If I had a larger budget with full control, and lots of mics and recording tracks, yeah then I might consider doing what Phish, Umphrey's and some of them do when they turn a pair of mics around and record the audience, but that would be one of my lowest priorities for getting a good live SBD/aud matrix.   

I both agree and differ. 

First let’s back up and define the problem.  For a good mix, you’ll want good band sound, good room sound and good audience sound. There are two important balances to think about between those things: a good balance of all the members of the band making up the band sound and a good balance between that direct band sound and the ambient room/audience sound.  How you reliably achieve that, easily, while also playing in the band is the question.

Here are three suggestions for a band member making a 4 channel recording consisting of 2 mic channels and a 2-channel soundboard mix (SBD) that will be mixed down later to 2-channel stereo-

1) Mic pair on stage facing band + SBD. If you use a pair of omnis as the on-stage pair, then the mic arrangement is less critical AND you’ll get plenty of good enthusiastic audience reaction from the people up front enjoying the music the most- the good enthusiastic kind of audience reaction, not a bunch of uninterested talking in the back of the room.  This would probably be my first choice.

2) Directional mic pair facing crowd + SBD gives you a greater range of control over the balance between the direct SBD sound and the ambient room/audience sound due to increased isolation between the two sources. You’ll have greater control over how much ambient room sound and audience you can mix in, or not. BUT the SBD needs to be halfway decent since the mic pair is mostly excluding the band sound, intentionally.  The welcome flexibility is lost if the SBD feed is shitty.

3) AUD Mic pair back at the SBD facing the band + SBD  The most common way it’s done around here. That’s partly because most tapers here doing matrix recordings are coming from a long history of making 2-ch AUD recordings and have expanded on that by moving to 4 channels and also recording the SBD with which to matrix their AUD, and partly because there is no need for long cable runs or borrowed snake channels and all gear is together back by the board. This is also relatively safe since ideally the AUD if good should be able to stand on it’s own even without the SBD. However, this would probably be my last suggestion of the three for you (okay, maybe 2nd if the SBD feed is bad) because the other suggestions make better sounding recordings. 

Why last?

A few reasons.  You are in the band.  You will not be out in the crowd attending mics setup in the optimal sweet spot of the room. That means setting them up at the SBD booth which is protected.  There are a couple reasons why that may be less optimal- 1) the crowd reaction you’ll pick up back there isn’t as good as that from in front. I may well consist of more disinterested cocktail banter in the immediate vicinity than enthusiastic cheering.  If you want good crowd enthusiasm, you want the mics where the enthusiastic fans are.  2) If the SBD is more than about 20’ from the stage you’ll need to shift the timing alignment of the files when mixing down to avoid an echo between the two sources.  That’s not the end of the world, but does mean some additional work.  3) You need to setup the mics back at the SBD, which is more hassle for you as a band member than simply doing so on-stage. You’ll need a taller mic stand, maybe a clamp or two.. generally more flexibility in set up options is needed because the SBD arrangement will be different in various venues, whereas your on-stage mic setup can pretty much be more or less the same every time.  Taking care of mics on stage may well be more practical for you as a band member.  The opposite is true for most tapers where it is easier for them to setup in the room or back at the soundboard (and hang out with them during the performance), rather than get permission to put mics on stage.

Advanced suggestion-
If your band is playing small bars, the SBD is probably mixed to mono. If after doing this a while you notice that one band member’s contribution tends to be problematic on the recordings, consider recording only one SBD mix channel and use the other channel to record only that problematic thing in isolation using a direct out from that channel of the board.  Might be the bass, vocal, or whatever.

Oh yeah, one more personal preference thing since I’ve wasted this much of your time already-  As long as the room and crowd sound is good and cooperative, don’t lean too heavily on the SBD in your resulting mix.  Try to keep it sounding organic and “you are there” live, rather than sterile and canned as much as you are able to.  An over sterile SBD heavy matrix sounds more like a practice session than an exciting live concert.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:10:54 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Zydeco Jed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 09:10:05 PM »
Thanks to everybody who has responded to this post. I purchased the Zoom H-6 and a pair of MXL603s. Gotta figure out how to work the thing before our next show Jan 25th in Frederick MD. You're all invited! Hopefully I'll get something good to post on Archive.org. Thanks again! 8)

kirk97132

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 09:46:12 AM »
Thanks to everybody who has responded to this post. I purchased the Zoom H-6 and a pair of MXL603s. Gotta figure out how to work the thing before our next show Jan 25th in Frederick MD. You're all invited! Hopefully I'll get something good to post on Archive.org. Thanks again! 8)
So that's Like 30 plus ones on the guestlist..great thanks >:D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com