Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY LD microphone capsule replacement?  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
DIY LD microphone capsule replacement?
« on: October 30, 2013, 11:02:40 AM »
Hey do any of you have good information on the various DIY capsules available for modifying cheap LD microphones?

I've been doing a bunch of reading at GearSlutz, micbuilders and HomeRecording. There are lots of opinions. but most of those guys are trying to make a good vocal/instrument mic. I wonder if any of you have tried any of the various capsule designs for making on-stage, stage lip or audience recordings?

I bought a Nady SCM-1000 (multi-pattern, omni, figure 8, cardioid) mic on eBay cheap and I'm going to, at the very least, replace the stock K67 style capsule with a better capsule. I need a project to keep me busy, so I'm going to modify my first LD mic.

I want to finally try M/S recording too, since the mic I bought has the figure of 8 pattern.

I'd appreciate any advice you guys can offer about replacement capsules or LD's in general.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: DIY LD microphone capsule replacement?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 11:09:15 AM »
Hey do any of you have good information on the various DIY capsules available for modifying cheap LD microphones?

I've been doing a bunch of reading at GearSlutz, micbuilders and HomeRecording. There are lots of opinions. but most of those guys are trying to make a good vocal/instrument mic. I wonder if any of you have tried any of the various capsule designs for making on-stage, stage lip or audience recordings?

I bought a Nady SCM-1000 (multi-pattern, omni, figure 8, cardioid) mic on eBay cheap and I'm going to, at the very least, replace the stock K67 style capsule with a better capsule. I need a project to keep me busy, so I'm going to modify my first LD mic.

I want to finally try M/S recording too, since the mic I bought has the figure of 8 pattern.

I'd appreciate any advice you guys can offer about replacement capsules or LD's in general.
We had already spoken and if you want I can give you direct email address to the owner and his tech, both of which are great guys and will spend time on the phone with you too if you want to pick their brains.  Just hit me with a PM :-*

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: DIY LD microphone capsule replacement?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 11:12:44 AM »
PM sent.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com