Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG active cable pricing?  (Read 4628 times)

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Formerly Phan2001
AKG active cable pricing?
« on: October 30, 2006, 12:39:02 PM »
I know that the active cables for the AKG blueline (39x) series are not made anymore. I was wondering what a fair price for these are? I have a chance to pick up a pair, but I don’t really know how much they go for. I searched the yard sale and I only found one pair. The taper was asking $300. I thought that seemed high, but I really don’t know. The pair I have my eye on function perfectly, and are cosmetically 9/10. I want to spend less than $300, but I don’t want to insult the guy with a lowball offer. Anyone who has bought recently care to share how much they spent? 

Also, would AKG still service these later if I needed them to, even though I was not the original buyer? 
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: AKG active cable pricing?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 12:44:12 PM »
I know that the active cables for the AKG blueline (39x) series are not made anymore. I was wondering what a fair price for these are? I have a chance to pick up a pair, but I don’t really know how much they go for. I searched the yard sale and I only found one pair. The taper was asking $300. I thought that seemed high, but I really don’t know. The pair I have my eye on function perfectly, and are cosmetically 9/10. I want to spend less than $300, but I don’t want to insult the guy with a lowball offer. Anyone who has bought recently care to share how much they spent? 

Also, would AKG still service these later if I needed them to, even though I was not the original buyer? 

There are not FETs or anything else in this cable.
Just solder permanently to the capsule, put miniXLRs on the end, and run with a battery box.
Details at:
  www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/AKG

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline KLowe

• CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 01:00:08 PM »
Richard,
Since the AKG's moved to back-up status I think it is safe to screw around with your "active" project.

Couple of questions.  I've been to your link and see the pics and schematics.....I have no clue how to read schematics etc... life science major  ::)

questions:
can any store bought battery box be used for this project?

do you have any "step by step" pics for the soldering of the cables to the caps?

If offered, how much would your services cost to "activate" my caps?

thanks for all your work and contributions to TS.com

Kevin
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 01:04:26 PM »
Richard,
Since the AKG's moved to back-up status I think it is safe to screw around with your "active" project.

Couple of questions.  I've been to your link and see the pics and schematics.....I have no clue how to read schematics etc... life science major  ::)

questions:
can any store bought battery box be used for this project?

do you have any "step by step" pics for the soldering of the cables to the caps?

If offered, how much would your services cost to "activate" my caps?

thanks for all your work and contributions to TS.com

Kevin

Sorry, I am not doing work for others.  Not to mention, shipping capsules to Canada would be a problem.  It is a pretty easy job.  You need a "standard" 3-wire battery box and to solder/shrink wrap/glue gun your capsules.  Perhaps Busman or some other solder freak can do this for you.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline KLowe

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 01:05:35 PM »
Cool.  Thanks for the reply.

I'll see what I can come up with.
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 01:12:00 PM »
Cool.  Thanks for the reply.

I'll see what I can come up with.

why not just buy some active cables for your Neumann's? that would seem a lot simpler

Offline KLowe

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 01:15:58 PM »
Cause I'm a cheap-ass and cant cough up the 300'ish for the Neumann actives.....  yet.  (all of the Neumanns have been ebays)

And cause I'm a sucker for the home brew hacks.  Seem fun.

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 01:17:30 PM »
FWIW, I paid 300 for mine
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 02:02:26 PM »

When did AKG stop making these? They are still available on the AKG USA page as current products. FWIW $300 for a pair seems reasonable since they are $328 each at Full Compass.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline musicsherlock

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 09:48:36 PM »
not affiliated...there are three available...try offering two cables @ $100 each... you never know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AKG-Blue-Line-MK90-3H98-Capsule-to-Preamp-Ext-Cable-10_W0QQitemZ150051000711QQihZ005QQcategoryZ41466QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 09:21:06 PM »
active cables for this series are still available.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com