Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need help with preamps, A/D's, mixers  (Read 5800 times)

Offline Kevin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
Need help with preamps, A/D's, mixers
« on: May 20, 2003, 10:06:24 PM »
I just purchased two C391B Akg mics and wanted to know what else I should get inbetween them and the recorder.  Thanks for the help
Kevin
481(3)>722

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re:Need help with preamps, A/D's, mixers
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 10:19:22 PM »
I have run

393>sax>Mod SBM>D100
391(3)>B-18 power supply>AT CP8201 transformers>Mod SBM>D100
391(3)>MP2>Mod SBM1>D100

and truth be told I like the mp2>sbm combo the most, of course this probably has something to do with it being my current rig  ;D

honestly though I made some great tapes with no pre and using the transformers.  

Best advice I can give you is to check some of it out yourself.  PM me and I can set you up with some sample tracks...dave matthews, Pat McGee, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Cast Iron Filter, Particle, New Monsoon, quite a few local bands....let me know.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2003, 08:29:03 AM by nickgregory »

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 11:44:20 AM »
Preciate it.  Sure some Particle would be nice and if you want some shows be glad to hook it up www.phishhook.com/lists/kevnm67,  are you familiar with mixers? if i just had a mixer in between my mics and recorder what that help enhance the signal for a better recording?
481(3)>722

DaryanLenz

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 03:17:32 PM »
Not really.  Mixers in my opinion are meant to use at least three sources, hence the mixing aspect of it.  With that rig...hmm, I think something with a little color would do you well.  I have heard a bunch of akg->v2 tapes and never really liked them.  I would try an mp2 and see how you like it.  As far as a/d's...APOGEE, did I say that loud enough?  You might be able to pick up an ad1000 from a memnber of this sbd and run with the internal pre.  I have a bunch of samples of mbho->ad1k which all smoke!

Daryan

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 03:18:18 PM »
I ran the 391 > B18 > SBM-1 > D8 for a long time. There is at least one moe. show in circulation from Austin with this setup. I later sold the B18 units and put the Wendt X2 there, Again, there is at least one moe. show from Austin like that (391 > X2 > SBM-1 > D8). I personally don't want a lot of coloration in my sound, that's why I chose the Wendt pre-amp (it also doesn't hurt that Bob has sold a ton of these to movie and film people -- every offer I had when I sold it was to either video or film production folks).

I honestly didn't think going from the B18 PS to the Wendt affected the sound a great deal. I heard a much greater difference when I got the Line mod done to the SBM-1 later.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com