Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA5 mod comparison ("warm" vs. "presence/clarity")  (Read 13724 times)

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
Re:UA5 mod comparison ("warm" vs. "presence/clarity")
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2003, 03:52:40 PM »
let us know what u think.  i'm interested in hearing what everybody thinks about these two units.  i can't wait to get mine and try it out!

-j
save

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2003, 10:34:25 PM »
Preliminary results; we're running another longer showdown on Sunday, as one of my taper buds couldn't make it tonight, and a few of my hifi friends had other commitments.

First off, I need to throw a huge shout out for Will Bernard and Motherbug.  Holy sh|t these guys were good!  Kinda like a movie where you go in expecting nothing, maybe?  Dunno, I was way impressed.  And whaddya know, they're coming to my hometown (sorta) for Hookahville.  I wasn't planning on going, but I might change my mind just to see these guys live!

I have 2 pages of notes to comb through, but both of our impressions were pretty much spot on, so I'll summarize a bit:

warm mod stengths:
1. mids!  The mids are lush and gorgeous.  Very pleasing.  The mids run the show with the wmod
2. soundstaging is king with wmod.  Consistently, through every recording, the soundstage was both wider and deeper; but the biggest improvement besides size was placement.  Wmod places the performers back a bit; for instance, for the wbm set, everyone was set at or behind the wall behind my speakers, and the main soundstage extended to the outside and behind the speakers.  Very very nice.  With pmod, this jumped forward a few feet, almost level with the front of the speakers, and collapsed in to the point no main staging info was to the outside of the speaks.
3. highs.  Contrary to what I thought, the wmod wasn't rolled off in the highs like I thought.  It extended up about the same as the pmod; but the general bulk of the frequency was more mids, so this tamed the highs a bit.  
4. coherency.  Perhaps because of the soundstaging, but other factors are at work I couldn't put my finger on in this relatively short listening session...  But the wmod is just more musically coherent.  Everything's "there" with the pmod, but the wmod just sounds more "whole" and you get a better feel of musicians interacting with each other.

wmod negatives:
1. bass.  The bass is slightly softened and loses some of it's initial attack; and the decay is a bit extended.  The end result is it is "softer" feeling than the pmod.
2. instrumental attack.  The wmod softens and slows things a bit, much like a harmonically rich tube amp, so you lose a little bit of attack and the decays hand a bit unnaturally at times.  This has the effect of sounding harmonically pleasing, but can remove a bit too much bite at times...  In some hifi rigs this could be a killer.

pmod strengths:
1. bass.  Pmod bass is much tauter and has more drive.  This gives a better rythmic presentation.
2. detail.  The pmod pulls more detail than the wmod, this is fairly clear when switching back and forth.  The wmod has crowd chatter, but with the pmod you can hear what they're saying more clearly.  Inner detail of instrumental parts is more apparent.
3. vocals.  The pmod really has better vocal sound.  Whether this is accurate or not, I don't know; but the wmod has a more "at the show vocal" feel, the pmod is clearer and you can hear vocals better.  If you like bands with lots and lots of indeterminate vocals, this is the one to buy, IMO

pmod negatives:
1. soundstaging.  pmod recordings bring everything forward into the room, and much less width to the stage.  This brings the musicians closer in an unnatural and somewhat distracting manner.
2. lean mids.  pmod really leans out the mids, which IMO tips up the highs.  I don't feel that the highs are more extended in frequency, but they just become more prevalent in the sound, so the general feeling is one of more brightness.  But the mids are lean and not nearly as enjoyable.

All in all, both of us preferred the wmod so far.  It just presented a more coherent, lush, relaxed experience.  When the 24/48 wmod will bernard came on, my whole body relaxed into the music.  When the pmod set came up, I instantly experienced a less involving, less relaxing picture.  I am very interested to hear some more recordings on Sunday, with a few more folks present, to see if a longer listening session presents the same results...

Our sonic chain for the evening:
EMI 2|6 > dCS Delius > McCormack RLD-1 > McCormack DNA-125 > B&W N805 / Velodyne VLF-810

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2003, 12:09:51 AM »
thanks for the review!  it sounds like boths are are worth the money!  i can't wait to hear how the presence mods sound w/ my audix scx-one's ;)  

-j
save

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2003, 10:12:48 AM »
nice review
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2003, 10:37:13 AM »
2. ... The wmod has crowd chatter, but with the pmod you can hear what they're saying more clearly.

Just be aware for both the Wu and Motherbug the crowd was definitely louder (and drunker) for the pmod selection.  Especially the Motherbug, where a certain fellow taper tossed back a few too many and really started yakkin it up during the second set.  I was going to put a notation in the info file for set2t2 "Love & Money Rap" by Todd N.  "You've got love.... you've got money.... you've got love for your money... blah blah blah..."  funny shit.  Other random comical jabber throughout the second set.  Really comes through in 24bit!  ;D

Overall I agree with your observations.  Nice review!
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2003, 01:18:35 PM »
Yeah, that's kinda typical :)  How many people were at that show?  It sounds like a handful!

I have been listening to the Wu (16/44.1) at work today on my portable CDP.  On my portable, my preferences swing towards the pmod...  On a portable system, where you don't have the imaging, soundstaging, and resolution of a hifi rig, the pmod's strengths in terms of detail and less apparent midrange/upper bass really work to it's advantage, as these are usually overboosted and out of proportion on a portable.  Also, the more emphasized highs help somewhat with the fact that my headphones probably tend to roll the highs a bit too much.

This emphasizes how much comprarisons, and opinions of them, are so system dependent...  This is why Stereophile always lists associated equipment.

I am now intrigued, and tomorrow I'm going to run some more comparos on my "home office" rig, which consists of NAD 512 > NAD 712 > B&W DM302.  It is a much lower rez rig than my main hifi, and emphasizes smoothness and midrange over absolute neutrality.  It's bass-lean and somewhat rolled off on the top when compared to my main rig, but still soundstages and images pretty damn well.  I am hypothesizing that I might prefer the pmod in that rig, too...  

I'll post my thoughts on that tomorrow, or Sunday after another big shootout.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2003, 03:07:33 PM »
to bad you can't get both MOD's and have a switch so you can use what ever one would work best
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2003, 06:49:42 PM »
that would be genius... ;)

bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2003, 06:53:44 PM »
You could just get two and still come in cheaper than a V3 or Mme.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com