Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V3 vs. Mini-Me?  (Read 13810 times)

Offline JeffK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
V3 vs. Mini-Me?
« on: November 12, 2002, 04:38:00 PM »
Has anyone else done comparisons between these two units?  preferably with Schoeps?

I've got some here that I need to get together and finally take a listen to.  I'll add anyone elses, if there are more available :)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re:V3 vs. Mini-Me?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2002, 04:55:49 PM »
I don't have any comparison tapes yet, waiting for my buddy to get his V3. I taped John Brown's Body this past weekend using just the mini-me and my cmc5/mk41's, all this talk of the pre in the mini-me being weak is a load of horse sh*t. The tapes sound fantastic and I am really digging the mini-me, and I have a V2 also, but only run it in front if I have the space and want to tote more gear
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2002, 04:36:28 PM »
i did some comparisons not with schoeps though sorry

Trey
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2002, 06:13:40 PM »
how can i get my hands on some of these comparisons??

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2002, 12:06:00 PM »
dswing drop me an email and I ll send you a comparison tape, it will be like encores of the same show one source is
u89>v3 another is u89>v3>mini me and yet another is u89>v3>ad1k, i ll be at TreyWoodruff@BankPlus.net until noon today and then back on Monday, and will be at twoodruff@jam.rr.com on Sunday.
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2002, 01:26:08 PM »
thanks trey!!  you have mail.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2003, 08:36:32 PM »
i've done comps with the 4022s...

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
  • There is nothing you can hold, for very long.
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2003, 08:39:12 PM »
and........... your conclusion? In your opinion of course... :) Glad to have some of t34m B&K here!

Bri

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2003, 09:45:42 PM »
i'd like to hear what others say before i post my thoughts...

both sources are at archive.org.  and don't flame me because it's dmb :)

i ran 4022 > v3 > sorcerer xlrs > minime

16/44.1 out of both the v3 and minime

12-20-dmb

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2003, 09:49:16 PM »
how did you do the comparison?

Bri

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2003, 01:37:04 AM »
hey scott, nice to see you over here!!!   ;D

bri, et all, i will be doing comparisons with the tubes in february and will make sure you guys get copies.  

from what i have "listened" to so far...i have not yet done any testing myself...i would say i like the v3 better.  to me, the v3 has an amazing high frequency extension...which imo compliments schoeps microphones very well.  the mids were silky smooth and crisp, and the v3 has a nice solid bottom end.  i wouldn't describe it as warm, but it definitely has presence.  i thought the v3 had an amazing 3d soundstage.  i could hear a seperation of instruments that just made my jaw drop.  really impressive how detailed and accurate the v3 is!

the mini me has a characteristic apogee warmth to it.  i like that!  i don't think it performs as well in the highs.  kinda sounds like the sound is rounded off at the top to me.  the mids were crisp and very well definied, and the low end, well it was fat.  imo, however, it wasn't as great of a difference as i thought it may have been.  the v3 definitely held it's own in the lower frequencies.  it's just a matter of if you want that trademark apogee warmth or how the sound was actually at the show.  i choose the latter just because that is what i like.  i think the mini me did a better job of removing some of the room from the recordings as well.

again, these are just my initial thoughts from listening to different comparison tapes that scott and a few other people have done.  i can't wait to test them both out with my tubes in february!  

a big THANKS to tim and scott for letting me use their gear to do these comparisons!!!!

dave  
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2003, 02:00:09 PM »
I still haven't decided which I like better after listening to several comparisons.  You can't go wrong either way though.

The one thing I do know, is that we ran mk4>v3>analog out to AD1000 and digital out to D8.  I liked the v3's a/d better than the ad1000... which completely suprised me :)  This was in a small bar, I'm waiting for some larger venue/theater type tapes to make a final decision on what to buy.  It's weird, I don't even have a complete rig right now, hehe.

Offline scb

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2003, 02:16:01 PM »
i admit i haven't listened to it enough yet, and i will sit down and blast it on the stereo sometime soon to see if i still feel this way, but this is what i thought

the minime source seemed to have a great low end, but then i'd switch over to the v3, and it too had a killer low end.  so where i thought the minime would shine -- the lows -- the v3 could definitely compete, and might have been better

but the v3 has the sick highs, as mentioned above.  the vocals just seemed to shine through better on the v3 source.  

i love the v3 sound.  but in a bad room, it will probably make the room sound a lot worse than a minime would.  the minime seems more forgiving, (v3 more accurate)

either way, you can't go wrong with either.  i'm a former ad2k owner who never thought would be selling the 2k...bu then I borrowed a minime for a week in july.  after running the 2k and minime side by side  that week, i immediately called up marc and ordered a minime

bottom line is i love both units, and you can't go wrong with either.

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2003, 02:36:49 PM »
yeah scott, the "forgiveness" factor is the one thing i am really curious to test in february.  the thomas and mack sounds damn fine as far as arenas go, maybe one of the top i have ever been to.  the next show i will be doing is the rosemont, which i think sounds big and boomy.  so, hopefully i will get a better sense of what these two units can do in two completely different sounding arenas.
i will let you guys know and hear....
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2003, 03:53:02 PM »
hey dave,  

yes, the Rosemont is a bit boomy, but not nearly as bad as i expected.  they have done some renovations in there i guess, and the ceiling is made of wood slats, which helps, i think.  

all in all, not the best sounding place i have been to, but not the worst by any means.  we did okay there from TS with the 140's> mp-2> mini me for TOO this last time out.  

are you running from the section i assume?  

our local crew is gonna work for something down in the red zone.  looking for pay-dirt!  not sure what we're running yet.  lots of choices.  couple pair of 4vs/ 140s/ 4022s/ coupla v3s/ mini me/ coupla lappies for 24 bit...should be fun!  see ya there.  

~scott   8)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2003, 05:33:30 PM by hippies »

Offline goose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2003, 04:40:47 PM »
Hurts just trying to read that post, hippies!  :-\

« Last Edit: January 17, 2003, 04:59:55 PM by goose »

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2003, 05:35:36 PM »
Hurts just trying to read that post, hippies!  :-\

hehe...that was pretty bad wasn't it, Goose?...

okay, all fixed now.   :-*

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2003, 09:59:02 AM »
scott, i talked with jeff a bit about this.  that's good to hear about rosemont.  i missed the 00 shows there.  i haven't been since halloween 95.  should be fun!

i am definitely interested in going upfront for this one.  i want it to be real small though.  like maybe just 2-3 rigs tops.  not sure i want to be a part of all that other stuff up there.  drop me a line and maybe we can set something up or talk more about it.  

dave
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2003, 08:36:38 PM »
oh, we'll be very low profile.  no worries there.  but you're right, we might wanna run in different spots in case something happens.  

we'll havta come up with a game plan as time draws near... ;)

Offline Marc Nutter

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2003, 07:40:17 PM »
We have comps that we made Saturday night at the Fox in Boulder.

It is available now as our weekly download at www.sonicsense.com/downloads.htm

All details about the comparisons are included in the test files.

Happy Recording Everybody,

Marc

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2003, 09:21:39 PM »
We have comps that we made Saturday night at the Fox in Boulder.

It is available now as our weekly download at www.sonicsense.com/downloads.htm

All details about the comparisons are included in the test files.

Happy Recording Everybody,

Marc

not to put any peer pressure on you, Marc, but would you (as a fellow taper) be willing to offer your thoughts on this comparison here, on a tapers only list?

can understand completely why you might not want to voice this opinion on your own Board which is linked very closely to your own Retail Site (which offers BOTH units for sale).

however, you are a well respected taper when the day is done, and a contributing voice in our community.  (as you pointed out in the Tool/ Bootleg thread earlier tonight).  

i think your opinion could prove extremely usefull.  hell, Doug Oade has no problem voicing his opinion, and he is a Vendor.  if you will frequent this Board as a fellow taper, would you be willing to offer unbiased comments as to gear as well?

peace

~scott  

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2003, 09:31:16 PM »
I'd love to know what marc and doug think, I think I may start a new thread that references that comaprison... But I gotta listen first!  ;D Oh, BTW, nice forum site marc, looks familiar!  ;D Glad to have another place to go...

bri

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com