Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ripping, splitting, resynching DVD  (Read 5752 times)

Uncle Jimmy

• Trade Count: (0)
ripping, splitting, resynching DVD
« on: March 10, 2004, 12:59:40 PM »
Folks,

I have a DVD of a concert. The native audio is poor. I have a much better sounding source that I would like to add to the video. As it stands, i have a set of .VOB files for the show.

How do I:
1) strip the original audio from the video
2) add the new audio to the video
3) author the DVD?

I would like to do this while losing no quality, but i dont know much about the video formats.

Yes, there are lots of sites to look at, and I have been trying to discern the reality of the situation. Would someone savvy enough just explain the basics and point at some options, should I choose to dig deeper?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
Re:ripping, splitting, resynching DVD
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 06:35:49 PM »
look for a program called doitfast4u and dvddecryptor.   you can use it to strip the .m2v file and .wav file.

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 07:27:06 PM »
look for a program called doitfast4u and dvddecryptor.   you can use it to strip the .m2v file and .wav file.

tmpgEnc will do the same thing.  Once he has the camera audio as a .wav (or if its ac3 or mp2, he can conver it to wav), then he can use a multitracking program like cool edit to synch the good audio to the cam audio.  Once its synched up, mute the cam audio and mix it down,  snapping it to the start and end points of the original cam audio.  Then he can multiplex the .m2v and new .wav in a dvd authoring program..add menus, chapters, etc.
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

Uncle Jimmy

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 10:21:53 AM »
"HEY CHAD.... I slept with Katie too, man."

Cool, thanks for the tips so far. These are terms I am starting to recognize, and I have the tmpgEnc program. I have demuxed and gotten seperate audio and video files. i then remuxed with the ac3 and m2v files into an mpg file with tmpgEnc.

Problem: my video editor, Roxio Movie Creator, still will not recognize that video for me to edit. I assume it is because the audio is ac3, so i sould convert it, but i don't know what to do or how to do it. Will I use come dos-command line software, or is there an easy GUI for this?

Any more love out there Chad?
THanks again,
Jim

PS Are there quality losses in any of this? Where?

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 09:41:54 PM »
You should be able to use 16/48 wave format.  If your authoring software doesn't support it, try something else.  I know the Tmpgenc authoring software handles it.   You don't even have to mux them - you can add the audio separately.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 09:42:56 PM by dklein »
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 02:09:27 AM »
yeah, just use tmpgenc dvd author...I'd stay far clear of anything roxio.  Or better yet, grab DVD-lab.  Just authored my first dvd on it tonight.  Very nice...with just a bit of messing around I was adding motion transitions between menus, dolby digital trailers, etc.

Uncle Jimmy

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 10:02:54 AM »
OK,

Talk to me about DVD-lab... looks REALLY cool. Can you use any audio files, in any format (wav, ac3 specifically) and start and stop them whenever?

If that is the case, that's all I need to know. I am very interested in using DV and then laying over other music sources.

thanks again, +t if i could...
Jim

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2004, 10:57:42 PM »
OK,

Talk to me about DVD-lab... looks REALLY cool. Can you use any audio files, in any format (wav, ac3 specifically) and start and stop them whenever?

If that is the case, that's all I need to know. I am very interested in using DV and then laying over other music sources.

thanks again, +t if i could...
Jim

dvd-lab is great, and the included help is very very helpful to get you up and running fast.  It's really easy to add buttons and other graphics, and is really easy to add motion transitions to menus, which look very cool.  It's also very easy to add seperate titles (for example I threw a dolby digital trailer on my latest dvd....it's nothing thats needed but it adds to the overall feel of the disc I think)   It will accept both 16/48 wav and ac3, but the catch is that you can't hear the audio in the preview window within dvd lab.  What I do, is just write down the track times when I do the multitrack mix down of the cam audio and seperate audio.  I then make chapter points at these spots in the video using the timecode in the preview in dvd-lab.  It's actually a pretty easy process once you get the hang of it.  I capped, synched, and authored a 50 min show from mini dv, with a seperate audio source, in about 4-5 hours last night.  Basically...like I said before I pull out the cam audio right away from the dv avi.  I encode the video down to mpeg-2 without the audio...I do all of the editing seperately.  As long as you keep the exact length of the original cam audio .wav file when you do the mix down, it will be in sync when you mix it back in with the video.

Uncle Jimmy

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 03:22:16 PM »
when you "pull out the cam audio", is that during the capture step, or after you have the .avi from your capture?

what do you use to encode the video to mpeg-2 with no audio?

what do you ust to mix the seperate audio sources?

Somewhat unrelated:
what makes an avi file different from an mpeg file?

Thanks,
UJ

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 07:06:34 PM »
when you "pull out the cam audio", is that during the capture step, or after you have the .avi from your capture?

what do you use to encode the video to mpeg-2 with no audio?

what do you ust to mix the seperate audio sources?

Somewhat unrelated:
what makes an avi file different from an mpeg file?

Thanks,
UJ

I capture via firewire straight from the camera.  This gives me a DV .avi file.  I "pull out the cam audio" in tmpgenc.  When you load the .avi, it will show both the video and audio stream.  You can then save each to a seperate file (.m2v for video....wav for audio).  For encoding I use Cinema Craft Encoder.  It's probably the best software encoder you can use.  It allows up to 5 pass (I think) vbr encoding.  When I load the  DV .avi into CCE, I just uncheck the audio stream...so it encodes the .m2v into mpeg-2 video.  As for mixing the audio sources, I use cool edit pro.  I find it has a pretty easy to use multitrack view once you mess around with it a bit and get the hang of it.  And as far as mpeg-2 and avi...its just differences in codecs.  

Uncle Jimmy

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2004, 09:38:16 AM »
OK, looks good. I have solved my dilemmas for mow. Thanks a bunch for helping me out.

Jim

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.192 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com