Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Left mic clips and is staticy, but right mic is fine?  (Read 6785 times)

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
Re: Left mic clips and is staticy, but right mic is fine?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 09:36:33 PM »

Try being just a little bit humble!!!  We might be more receptive.

You are asking us to do you a BIG favor and help you solve a technical problem that you have been unable to solve yourself.  We don't owe you a solution.  This isn't one of those forums where everyone tries to see who can be the biggest asshole.  We generally treat each other with a little respect, and we ask you to do the same.  We understand you are frustrated because you spent a lot of money on new toys and the don't work right.  Most of us have been there, but that's no reason to yell at us.

I read your post, and I do not want to download a external zip file from someone I don't know (computer safety).  What I see in front of me now is kind of like saying "My car won't start" and sending us a stock photo of your car, and saying "the dealer said it's OK", and expecting me to magically realize you have a bad ballast resister.  I don't know what you may have had in your previous edits of your post, but what I have for information now isn't particularly helpful.  But realistically, even if we have the wave file and images, that typically doesn't help figure out what the problem is.   

End of lecture.  Now back to your problem.  This is all troubleshooting 101...
- replace battery in preamp for good measure, this has driven people crazy before... you wouldn't be the first.  Just do it.
- find a way to reproduce the problem on a consistent basis
- Do not assume the mics are good because MM said they were good.  Maybe they just couldn't reproduce the problem.
- swap L/R inputs into Korg.  Does the problem move to Right?  If so, then it's in the mics/pre/cables.  If not, it's in the Korg.
- What happens if you plug in ONLY the left channel, then ONLY the right channel.  Does that matter?
- Try it without the preamp and run mic in.  Does it go away?  If so, it sounds like maybe it's the preamp.
- Find a local friend with mics and recorder so you can try your mics in his recorder, and vice versa...
- We don't know if you have turned on the plug in power in addition to the preamp.  It's a legitimate question.
- Using a decent voltmeter, measure the DC voltage coming out of the preamp (into the Korg) across the tip/sleeve.  Basically, there shouldn't be any... there should be a small random AC voltage at times when there is sound input, but not DC.  If there is, then perhaps your preamp is leaking DC back towards the recorder.  It's not supposed to do that, but it's happened before.
- This is just a matter of an organized process of elimination.

Good luck.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline itook2much

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 10:40:24 PM »
This isn't one of those forums where everyone tries to see who can be the biggest asshole. 

We have those threads, this just isn't one of them. ;)

All of the advise given is good, and it all boils down to this:

This is just a matter of an organized process of elimination.

Recreate the problem.  Isolate each variable.  By the process of elimination you'll find the culprit. 

<fat finger edit>
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline Argitoth

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 11:26:19 PM »
The mics are where they are supposed to be, placed on the ear. Sound is captured from all distances. However, once again, the problem is not related to *how or what* I recorded, but is related to the wiring of the devices I am using. A zip is what I am providing. If it's too much to ask for you to download it, you don't have to respond with advice. I have to put "download zip" in all caps because the first "reply-er" made it clear that he didn't look at the zip. All the information on equipment I used and confirmation of my problem is all in the first post (and the zip).

You may be frustrated that no one has been able to tell you what is wrong and why it occurred. Can you understand that we may be just as frustrated with your lack of providing information/answering questions that may be useful in allowing others to help?
I am extremely frustrated because, in the first few replys, no one seems to understand the problem lies in the gear, not in how I'm recording... as if I don't know how to record? That means most of you are calling me stupid. That's very frustrating.

BTW its a good thing you have all these BIG PICTURES US FOR US DUMB PEOPLE we would never be able to understand what a korg MR-1 was... Man you are not starting off very well here.  ::)
The sizes of the pictures are simply as I found them. If you read the second post, he ****REQUESTED**** pictures. Do you have to accuse me of something like this? THEY JUST HAPPENED TO BE LARGE!  ???

Conclusion: I will not be responding here anymore. I'm getting plenty of good help elsewhere. I waited quite some time for a few replys. I was extremely frustrated to read the first few replies in which had no helpful information. I'm just an immature individual and let me apologize for being rude, but yes--I won't be coming back here to cause any of you any more inconvenience.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 11:35:49 PM by Argitoth »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »
The first response to your original post (quoted below) are all legitimate questions. Your edits didn't do much to clear the confusion. Glad you are finding help elsewhere because you still haven't provided enough info here for me to take a best guess as to what your problem is. Others have suggested through a process of elimination how to find out what in your recording chain is screwing up. If you won't do what it takes to find the problem, why ask for help?

Your original post:
http://shup.com/Shup/23381/elan_hickler_recording.zip

Download the zip. It has wav files and images.

microphonemadness.com senheiser binaural mic --> pre-amp --> Y connector --> Korg MR-1

I only saved it because it was the perfect post to illustrate what the How to Ask a Smart Question* page was intended to help with.

* http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

<edit> Whether you leave or stick around, I hope you get the problem fixed. </edit>
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 12:10:59 AM by flipp »

Offline Argitoth

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 12:35:40 AM »
. If you won't do what it takes to find the problem, why ask for help?
Ah, but I am willing to do what it takes to find the problem. That's why I'm making phone calls to both Korg and Microphone Madness; had to go through a process of sending the mics back in; I presented my problem in a few places now. I took the time to create graphics and sample recordings (found in the zip) and provide nicely-formatted links to my equipment. The static is very hard to catch in a 1.5 hour recording as it appears *NOTICEABLY* on *rare* occasions. However, the static is constant, just not very noticeable until you've been listening and recording hours of audio as I have. I've yet to find the problem in months of buying my recording equipment. This is not a problem that can be figured out very easily. The thing is that in this instance, in this forum, we were too busy getting frustrated at each other to start the process of elimination. I will be doing that process, of course, I just won't be detailing it here.

Edit: Lastly, I may return to this forum after everyone cools down and I will be able to present a lot more information on tests that I have done (without a zip this time  ::)) If I don't do that, I'll most likely detail the problem and the solution I found much later on (when I finally do find a solution, replacing the korg? the mics? who knows)

Edit: You know, I just want to enjoy the one-thousand-dollars-plus I spent on this equipment. As you can see, this is very frustrating.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 12:48:19 AM by Argitoth »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 12:54:41 AM »
Much like SmokinJoe, I am also leery of downloading zip files from strangers. I found more useful information in your last post than any of the previous ones. A brief description of the problem, constant but not always noticeable unless you are looking for it with occasional bouts of it being more than in the background. Beyond my capabilites to help you troubleshoot it.

Good luck tracking down the culprit and getting it fixed (or the faulty item replaced).

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 12:57:50 AM »
. If you won't do what it takes to find the problem, why ask for help?
Ah, but I am willing to do what it takes to find the problem. That's why I'm making phone calls to both Korg and Microphone Madness; had to go through a process of sending the mics back in; I presented my problem in a few places now. I took the time to create graphics and sample recordings (found in the zip) and provide nicely-formatted links to my equipment. The static is very hard to catch in a 1.5 hour recording as it appears *NOTICEABLY* on *rare* occasions. However, the static is constant, just not very noticeable until you've been listening and recording hours of audio as I have. I've yet to find the problem in months of buying my recording equipment. This is not a problem that can be figured out very easily. The thing is that in this instance, in this forum, we were too busy getting frustrated at each other to start the process of elimination. I will be doing that process, of course, I just won't be detailing it here.

Edit: Lastly, I may return to this forum after everyone cools down and I will be able to present a lot more information on tests that I have done (without a zip this time  ::)) If I don't do that, I'll most likely detail the problem and the solution I found much later on (when I finally do find a solution, replacing the korg? the mics? who knows)

Edit: You know, I just want to enjoy the one-thousand-dollars-plus I spent on this equipment. As you can see, this is very frustrating.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 12:59:27 AM by rowjimmytour »
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Argitoth

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 01:29:15 AM »
Much like SmokinJoe, I am also leery of downloading zip files from strangers.
I will remember this.

Edit: I understand, now, that it would be good to be cautious.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 01:36:01 AM by Argitoth »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 02:30:47 AM »
The mics are where they are supposed to be, placed on the ear. Sound is captured from all distances. However, once again, the problem is not related to *how or what* I recorded, but is related to the wiring of the devices I am using. A zip is what I am providing. If it's too much to ask for you to download it, you don't have to respond with advice. I have to put "download zip" in all caps because the first "reply-er" made it clear that he didn't look at the zip. All the information on equipment I used and confirmation of my problem is all in the first post (and the zip).

You may be frustrated that no one has been able to tell you what is wrong and why it occurred. Can you understand that we may be just as frustrated with your lack of providing information/answering questions that may be useful in allowing others to help?
I am extremely frustrated because, in the first few replys, no one seems to understand the problem lies in the gear, not in how I'm recording... as if I don't know how to record? That means most of you are calling me stupid. That's very frustrating.

BTW its a good thing you have all these BIG PICTURES US FOR US DUMB PEOPLE we would never be able to understand what a korg MR-1 was... Man you are not starting off very well here.  ::)
The sizes of the pictures are simply as I found them. If you read the second post, he ****REQUESTED**** pictures. Do you have to accuse me of something like this? THEY JUST HAPPENED TO BE LARGE!  ???

Conclusion: I will not be responding here anymore. I'm getting plenty of good help elsewhere. I waited quite some time for a few replys. I was extremely frustrated to read the first few replies in which had no helpful information. I'm just an immature individual and let me apologize for being rude, but yes--I won't be coming back here to cause any of you any more inconvenience.

There are lots of times I ask questions here and dont get answers. I am lucky enough to understand that getting answers to a question is a privilege not a right. Especially when your talking about the Hundreds of years of experience that our members have here. My self I come from a live sound background with more then 20 years in professional audio. There are many members here with even more experience then me. Please understand that you have to be humble when you need a question answered not demanding and you will gain life long friends here as I have. So instead of packing up your toys and going home take this on the chin like a man and learn from it. This place is a great forum to learn about all things audio.
Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com