Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: USBpre2 or Mix-D -- what's for me?  (Read 12994 times)

DF81

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: USBpre2 or Mix-D -- what's for me?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 12:35:06 PM »
there are several threads on this topic already so there's no need to repeat ad nauseam.

I've read one at least one thread and I'll go through a few pages of archive threads, but the search feature is broken.

The search function was fixed a few weeks ago. Should be working perfectly now.

Good.  Thanks

Offline sk-1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 12:00:26 PM »
The USB Pre has very similar preamps to the 7-series, but adapted for 5v power supply. It has about 2dB lower EIN than the mix pre, and about 10dB lower noise ADC than the mix pre. Depending on the sensitivity of your mics, these figures may not make any difference to your recordings.

Re AES or optical, AES is the studio standard but it's essentially the same data being transmitted so there's no sonic difference between the two. AES via XLR is a much more robust physical connection though.

I'd go with the mix pre. I found the USB Pre to be a unuseable in the field due to its rear panel dip switch settings and lack of stereo link options. It was a champ in the studio, but not built for anything else. The mix pre preamps are the classic sound devices lundahl transformer pres, and if you can live with the extra 2dB noise over the USB pre, they sound exactly the freaking same as any other half decent preamp out there.

DF81

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 02:41:28 AM »
I found the USB Pre to be a unuseable in the field due to its rear panel dip switch settings and lack of stereo link options.

I used one for the first time this week... not an easy task to to change settings with a tiny screwdriver in the dark.  If you don't have three hands and a flashlight you're screwed.

I don't mind some of the settings on the rear DIP panel that are not used or changed often, but some need to be on the front.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:47:21 AM by DF81 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com