Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: got my nhf-800 hi-md  (Read 2632 times)

Offline angels vs aliens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
got my nhf-800 hi-md
« on: March 14, 2005, 11:31:31 AM »
so this is my first minidisc recorder ever. i have exactly one week to get to familiar with it before my first taping attempt. is there any stuff i should be aware of?? i know at 94 mins the disc needs to be swapped out. most of the bands i will be taping are louder bands.. should i set my mic sensitivity to low? (will be using giant squid omni's). in the book it says to use MIC IN, but i always remember hearing LINE IN was better? someone help me here please, i want my first recording to be as good as it can, as its a really special show.
http://livestash.cjb.net - 2 shows so far

Offline angels vs aliens

• Taperssection Regular
Re: got my nhf-800 hi-md
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 11:53:33 AM »
regarding levels, should i adjust them manually or use automatic levels?
http://livestash.cjb.net - 2 shows so far

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 01:17:59 PM »
f
regarding levels, should i adjust them manually or use automatic levels?

For moderate shows, use mic in, low sens, manual levels.  I set to between 12 and 18 or so.

If the levels are to loud at 12, then you need to go line in.  Make sure to set manual levels again.

Oh yeah, you can adjust levels on the fly with the dial interface.  Cool.

Finally, for stealth shows, use Hi-SP.  This is 256kbps compressed, but not bad.  Then you don't have to obvious and swap out disks.

By the way, I just bought the remote, RM-40EK or something like that.  The one that comes with the NH-1 model.  This remote allows you to see and adjust levels, and it has a backlight.  You can't set record though.  So you have to set it in record-pause mode on the unit, turn "hold" on the unit, then put it in your bag.    After this you can work entirely from the remote.

Have fun!
 Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Steelcorner27

• Taperssection Regular
  • Audix ADX20-D, DPA 4061, Audix M1290
    • Steelcorner27 Trading Page
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 07:26:04 PM »
I thought the whole idea of having a HI-MD is so you can record in uncompressed form and have the best quality you can get..maybe thats just me.And for every hard rock show unless your in the nose bleeds you'll want to use low sensitivity.

Brad

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 10:12:38 PM »
I thought the whole idea of having a HI-MD is so you can record in uncompressed form and have the best quality you can get..maybe thats just me.And for every hard rock show unless your in the nose bleeds you'll want to use low sensitivity.

Brad

Yeah, I record almost all of my stuff uncompressed.  But if I'm recording stealth and if worried about security or I don't know the length of the sets, I may use HiSP.  So, more than 90% of my stuff is uncompressed.  I should comment that MD is a great beginner recorder.  I'm using a UA5+NJB3 now, but if I want to simplify or stealth, I'll use the MD.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com