Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Quick iRiver ihp-120 question  (Read 2105 times)

Offline atxwolfattack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Quick iRiver ihp-120 question
« on: March 15, 2007, 12:17:01 AM »
I have recorded about 7 shows so far with my rig, but i had a quick iRiver question about using the gain.

I normally don't even mess with the gain settings on my iRiver, since i have a Church Audio STC-9000 preamp, but if i also added like 4 or 5db of gain on my iRiver, would that still work fine even if i am adjusting gain mostly with my preamp?

Say i set my preamp to the +10db gain setting, but it still needs a little bit more gain, but i don't want to just all the way to the +30db setting, would it be okay if i added 5-10db of gain on my iRiver? I don't really know how well the internal pre on the iRiver is, so i wanted to ask first. Will i get any extra ugly noise? I could be totally wrong, but it seems like since i am using a preamp, the iRiver would not be adding real gain, it would just be raising the volume on the already gained signal from my preamp, that is what i am guessing, because i really have no idea.
(the church audio stc-9000 preamp has 0, +10, and a +30 db gain switch)...

Thanks!

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
Re: Quick iRiver ihp-120 question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 10:04:26 AM »
of course u can use your iriver´s internal gain ;).
i would use 2/3 external gain and 1/3 internal gain.
using external only results in overloading your line-input signal and distortion!
=> more than +10db external gain could be risky.

once i used external gain only and the result was pretty distorted although the internal gain and peak meters looked ok. i knew it wa supposed to distort but i wanted to test it...;).
so don´t get fooled by internal peaks on your display...they show you the internal DIGITAL amplification and not the analog one coming from your preamp to the line-in.

for rockshows i would use +10dB external and +5dB internal.
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 10:31:16 AM »
of course u can use your iriver´s internal gain ;).
i would use 2/3 external gain and 1/3 internal gain.
using external only results in overloading your line-input signal and distortion!
=> more than +10db external gain could be risky.

once i used external gain only and the result was pretty distorted although the internal gain and peak meters looked ok. i knew it wa supposed to distort but i wanted to test it...;).
so don´t get fooled by internal peaks on your display...they show you the internal DIGITAL amplification and not the analog one coming from your preamp to the line-in.

for rockshows i would use +10dB external and +5dB internal.

I am having a really really weird problem now, my iRiver will not let me add any gain more than 0.5db, and when i add that much, it switches right back to 0db a second later, regardless of if i put it on both channels or a single one.

Any help please??

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 11:11:21 AM »
Hmmm... if the peakmeters don't show clipping and you hear distortion, it must be in the pre-amp, right? Unless you used negative gain on the iriver....

I am having a really really weird problem now, my iRiver will not let me add any gain more than 0.5db, and when i add that much, it switches right back to 0db a second later, regardless of if i put it on both channels or a single one.
HUH?  ???

Is that with a current build? I've not seen such a thing at all...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 11:13:09 AM by petur »

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 04:19:22 PM »
i guess u set the max. gain to 0dB in the recording screen.
then it usually switches back to the set maximum.
i use +20dB as internal maximum and agc-safety-clip(rockbox) does the rest if needed.
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com