Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MT II problems  (Read 47502 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: MT II problems
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2007, 12:25:38 AM »
that's just it though.  this is MT version *2*.  the first came out with all kinds of issues and m-audio fixed as many as they could.  However there were still issues left unfixed so they went for a whole new line.  it still doesn't work up to spec.  they should have  worked all that shit out before they released this version.

pretty poor on m-audio's part

Agreed, pretty poor.  But from what I've read, MT2 isn't really the next generation of MT1, it's a whole new product (though granted the same case / form factor). And so, just trying to suggest in my previous post that none of this should be surprising, given the track record with MT1.

I'm curious about the analog stages in the MTII.  Are they any better, both in sound quality and noise/interference levels, than the original MT.  It would be cool to have an ultraportable rig to run my various Beyerdynamic mics.  Hopefully some brave soul will crack the cover on this thing and show us the guts!

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2007, 12:25:55 PM »
we wouldn't have to worry about this problem with a "v4" grace v3/recorder all in one ;)

seriously though i have never dealt with grace designs but i have heard nothing but good things about them and their products are with out a doubt top notch
this just shows it even more - many companies wouldn't really care i don't think, grace designs right on top of it to try and find a fix
+T
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2007, 12:29:16 PM »
Mike and Jamie work at helping people.  I wish they would venture into making something like the MT.  I know I would be first in line. 
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2007, 06:46:30 PM »

Latest update from M-Audio. There will be a fix.  This is good news, and in my opinion, a timely root cause analysis by both vendors.  These things happen...

Edit:  To emphasize that I'm a satisfied customer.

--Michael

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Our team has contacted Grace Designs and it appears that the Lunatec does not send the 'status bit' information required by the MTII in order to write the file at a higher sample rate. This simply means that Grace Designs chosen for whatever reason, not to send the status bit and as a result it is writing the file as 44.1kHz.
M-Audio will be adding this 'non-status-bit' in a firmware update in the near future.
For now we simply recommend to use the workaround of up-sampling the audio file with an audio editor for the file to playback at the right playback speed.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 08:49:22 AM by mblindsey »
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2007, 07:27:38 PM »

Latest update from M-Audio. There will be a fix.  This is good news, and in my opinion, a timely root cause analysis by both vendors.  These things happen...

--Michael

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Our team has contacted Grace Designs and it appears that the Lunatec does not send the 'status bit' information required by the MTII in order to write the file at a higher sample rate. This simply means that Grace Designs chosen for whatever reason, not to send the status bit and as a result it is writing the file as 44.1kHz.
M-Audio will be adding this 'non-status-bit' in a firmware update in the near future.
For now we simply recommend to use the workaround of up-sampling the audio file with an audio editor for the file to playback at the right playback speed.

That's good news, hopefully that firmware comes out relatively soon

Retired Taper

Offline anhisr

« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2007, 02:06:22 PM »
Were did you see the update from M-Audio?  Email to you or a post somewhere in the internets?  I forwarded a copy of the message to Jamie at Grace and this was his response

Most gear (pretty much every device we've ever used) does not rely on channel status information to configure themselves for high sample rate syncing with external devices.  In fact the AES specification (AES3-1992 (r1997)) states "The indication of sampling frequency, or the use of one of the sampling frequencies that can be indicated in this byte, is not a requirement for operation of the interface."  Thus a piece of gear should not rely on the channel status to configure its hardware.
Assuming this is the case and we confirm it with M-Audio, we can revise the firmware in the V3 to be compatible with the requirements MTII.  We will need to get an MTII in house before we can release anything (working on it!), but Mike and I will work to make it happen as quickly as possible if necessary.  FYI: Updating the firmware on your V3 in the field is a piece of cake.  (1) Pop the chip out..and..(2) Put the new chip in...
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2007, 02:15:20 PM »
That was the text from the update M-Audio placed in the ticket I opened.  The engineer that updated the ticket was Alex Solano.

--Michael

Offline anhisr

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2007, 02:50:15 PM »
The great thing is, there will be a fix at some point in the not too distant future.
Video Canon HF R30

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2007, 05:13:48 PM »
Honestly though if it wasn't for Michael at Grace Designs this would have taken a lot longer....I would have bet money on that.  Maudio seems to move at their own pace.  Maudio does not impress me where as Grace Designs does....

T+ to Mike....

Anyone try a MT2 with a minime yet...Please don't tell me Apogee needs to create a work around as well....

peace  OOK
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 05:15:20 PM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline anhisr

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2007, 05:43:18 PM »
I don't think there is any company that we purchase things from that handles customer service better than Grace. 

Video Canon HF R30

Offline willndmb

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2007, 07:21:08 PM »
of course its great grace is in on it, but shouldn't the mt be "fixed" and not the v3?
the v3 works with other devices at 96, so it seems to me that its the mt without a doubt thats got the issue
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2007, 07:30:59 PM »
of course its great grace is in on it, but shouldn't the mt be "fixed" and not the v3?
the v3 works with other devices at 96, so it seems to me that its the mt without a doubt thats got the issue

In the trouble ticket I opened with M-Audio regarding this issue, they stated:

"M-Audio will be adding this 'non-status-bit' in a firmware update in the near future."

--Michael

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2007, 10:48:33 PM »
Since I went through the initial growing pains of the MT1, no surprise that there are issues with the MT2. I am sure there will be some firmware updates to fix these issues, not that it makes it any better ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline willndmb

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2007, 11:09:51 PM »

"M-Audio will be adding this 'non-status-bit' in a firmware update in the near future."

--Michael
i was talking about this though
Were did you see the update from M-Audio?  Email to you or a post somewhere in the internets?  I forwarded a copy of the message to Jamie at Grace and this was his response

Most gear (pretty much every device we've ever used) does not rely on channel status information to configure themselves for high sample rate syncing with external devices.  In fact the AES specification (AES3-1992 (r1997)) states "The indication of sampling frequency, or the use of one of the sampling frequencies that can be indicated in this byte, is not a requirement for operation of the interface."  Thus a piece of gear should not rely on the channel status to configure its hardware.
Assuming this is the case and we confirm it with M-Audio, we can revise the firmware in the V3 to be compatible with the requirements MTII.  We will need to get an MTII in house before we can release anything (working on it!), but Mike and I will work to make it happen as quickly as possible if necessary.  FYI: Updating the firmware on your V3 in the field is a piece of cake.  (1) Pop the chip out..and..(2) Put the new chip in...
seems to me that if he is talking about updating your v3 in the field then it would be a grace fix
???

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2007, 10:05:42 AM »

--Michael
i was talking about this though

seems to me that if he is talking about updating your v3 in the field then it would be a grace fix
???

I see what you are saying.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.  It might be nice for both vendors to update their firmware.

1.  Grace, so that they are are compatible with devices that don't follow the spec as reported above (I haven't read the spec).  If it makes sense to do so, that is....

2.  M-Audio, so that they follow the spec.

I've worked in the IT realm for a while, and in the past I've seen very similar issues arise when we try to use different vendor products to create IPSEC VPN's.  A guilty party doesn't follow the spec and one of the vendors ends up issuing a patch to fix.  It's not always the vendor that is broken who issues the patch, either.

--Michael
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 12:32:01 PM by mblindsey »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.182 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com