Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Multitrack recording gear  (Read 6828 times)

Offline andy_landy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Multitrack recording gear
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 12:22:54 PM »
When all is said and done, I can simply master tracks running from the Alesis to my Yamaha MGP16 mixer and run the outs to the Denon DN500R SD Recorder.

i'm curious. why would you not just transfer the .wavs from the hd24 drive, and do all your mixing in the box?

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 12:40:55 PM »
I could do that and have done that.  It's really easy to just pull the drive(s) and run them direct it to my computer HD and then mix through my DAW.  If this was a live recording of a performance, then I would send to my computer.

I may have made things confusing in my prior post, because if it is not a live performance and rather a home studio recording, then I prefer mixing on a board especially if I have to do a re-mix on a track, on the fly with whatever instrument and or musician I am playing with. I find it easier to simply mix without dealing with the computer at times such as these.  If it was a live recorded concert performance, final mix and or a recording with no overdubs and re-mixing necessary and all is complete with the recording, then the DAW on my computer is fine to run direct to.

Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline andy_landy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 01:20:13 PM »
if it is not a live performance and rather a home studio recording, then I prefer mixing on a board

got it - that use case makes total sense in a creative environment, where spontaneity is important.

my head was just thinking "multichannel live audio recording!" which is indeed more suited to transfer + mix in the box.

thanks for the clarification!

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 05:59:21 PM »

We do 32 tracks via Reaper off the X32 via USB - no problem. We only run 48/24.
Different people have different ideas of cheap, especially those of us who are hobbyists.  I was assuming the OP was a hobbyist.  If he was a professional, he probably wouldn't be asking the question on this board. To me an X32 at $2800 is an expensive tool for professionals. An HD24 for $600 is a little expensive, and "cheap" is less than that. Most of the people that I know who record to computers, and I don't honestly know that many, they all seem to be frustrated with dropouts or incompatibility.  To me interfaces are for people recording their own band in their basement, where if something happens they can just do another take. You probably have different experiences and opinions. That's fine.

So - why the Firewire? Since no PCs come with it - just buy the right card! (vs buying a whole machine to get one feature!)

Buying a good firewire card for a computer which doesn't have the right chipset on the motherboard will fail too, unfortunately. Been there, done that. I'm just mentioning this because I didn't want the OP to see some cool box on eBay and grab it assuming it would work with any firewire laptop (like I did) and then not have it work.  That's all.

The biggest caveat with getting into multitrack is having a the TIME to do the post production - and a PC with enough horsepower for mixing/processing.(vs mastering which isn't as intensive)
Absolutely.  Those of you who mix down whole shows, how long is typical for you?  For me, it seems to be a week's worth of evenings for a 2 hour show.  At that point it's good enough to put it up on the LMA or make demo disks, or hand to some mastering guy who knows what he is doing.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:01:10 PM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline mountaintaper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 11:56:57 PM »
I own an Alesis HD24, a JoeCo BBR-1B and a JoeCo BBR-1A.. I tend to use my laptop more than any of those these days plugging USB out of an x32 as most venues I end up at seem to be using one. Sometimes I'll use the BBR-1A as a back up plugging out of the Optical outputs of the Digital snake that most venues using an x32 use.   I also happen to own an X32, but it doesn't leave my house. I do house concerts, but mainly use it to mixdown recordings.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com