Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony M10 and Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L set  (Read 7906 times)

Offline OhioHead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony M10 and Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L set
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 02:30:40 PM »
Wow I taped LOS @ Barrellhouse summer 00 (2 night run) & the DTB show  summer of 00 (don't think this show floats around).

Did you know Holly?

A new M-10 owner here, let say you are open taping Widespread Panic or Tedeschi Trucks w/ Church preamp & C-14's, what setting would you chose for the mic sensitivity?

Cobiwan just listened to AQU SBD from 97 @ Ripley's on Panicstream, nice recording & fun show!  Where were you living in 97 (just wondering if we knew some common tapers from that era)?

One quick question I have is, are all the settings on the M-10 where they should be? Is mic sensitivity on high or low? Recording levels on manual? What about the internal settings?  PIP power on? Etc. Just making sure the M-10 is set how it should be.

I was living in Cincinnati from '90-'02. I was archivist for Ripleys and the Barrelhouse.

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 02:46:38 PM »
Yes I knew Holly well (RIP). I have that DTB 2000/01/26 SBD 16/48. The LoS tapes have "disappeared" I think one of my friends have them. I can work on re upping the DTB show. I'd have to go thru my DATs to see what others I have. If it was played at Ripley's or Barrelhouse, I more than likely recorded it.
-Coby
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:52:32 PM by Cobiwan »
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 03:13:04 PM »
I can send you my LoS masters......I was 4 or 5 DAT's down the chain!

The DTB show was summer of 2000 as well, I have the show untracked on CD & sbd DAT, will send as well.

Did you know Guido (Dayton, OH based) RIP, Jim M (Dayton, Oh based) or Chris M (he would normally chain out of Holly's 393's)?

Guido & Jim recorded the awesome sounding Nutter Center 97 show that I seeded out as a "Senn 441" source.....they rented/borrowed  mic's for 12/7 & got an awesome pull!

Yes I knew Holly well (RIP). I have that DTB 2000/01/26 SBD 16/48. The LoS tapes have "disappeared" I think one of my friends have them. I can work on re upping the DTB show. I'd have to go thru my DATs to see what others I have. If it was played at Ripley's or Barrelhouse, I more than likely recorded it.
-Coby

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 04:03:01 PM »
OhioHead,
I'm off to work now but we'll take this conversation privately via PM, so as not to take away from the thread.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline dabbler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 08:15:45 PM »
Fwiw, I have similar experiences as you with the DPA 4063 going into the M10
mic-in PiP.

I suspect the mic-in is too hot for these mics on the M10 and the internal preamp isn't optimal when levels are at 1-1.5 (manual, low sens)

Using a battery box allows me to go line-in (levels in between 4 to 7.5 depending on show).  I don't even believe going mic-in with external power is an option for me unless I'm recording a quiet acoustic show (haven't tried one, yet).

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 05:58:21 PM »
When you run the battery box to power the mic's, have you turned on/off the mic sensitivity setting on the M10?

Offline dabbler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2015, 01:51:57 AM »
From what I can tell, the mic sensitivity switch doesn't affect line-in on the M10.  In any case, I have a piece of tape locking the switch to low sensitivity.

adrianf74

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 04:35:45 PM »
From what I can tell, the mic sensitivity switch doesn't affect line-in on the M10.  In any case, I have a piece of tape locking the switch to low sensitivity.
Correct.  Line In isn't affected; only the Mic Input is.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com