Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Battery Pack for Edirol R-09  (Read 3710 times)

Offline dominar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Battery Pack for Edirol R-09
« on: May 15, 2007, 04:48:41 PM »
Are there any remote power solutions for the R-09 instead of changing batteries?
My as of yet untested rig: GSAL powered omni w/bat box>Edirol R-09

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Battery Pack for Edirol R-09
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 04:56:57 PM »
It doesn't answer your question, but I never thought about remote power because 1) you'd have to leave the door halfway open to get to the usb input which leaves the sd card exposed and i wouldn't want to risk ejecting it by accident. I also wouldn't want to leave the door open since I'm always worried about that breaking off every time I open it.

Also, a pair of rechargable 2700 mAH NiMHs powers it longer than the 4 hours of recording I put on a 4GB card. So after 4 hours I would put in new recharged batteries with the 2nd 4gb card at the same time if I needed to.

Offline dominar

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 05:01:24 PM »
I was thinking of something that would plug into the AC jack.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 05:49:42 PM »
Gotcha, I actually forgot it was there.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 06:01:15 PM »
3 Volts = 2 standard 1.5 V batteries.  I'm not sure about a plug and play solution, but anything with 2 typical batteries and the right plug ought to do it.... $5 at Rad Shack.  I bet a couple of D batteries would go a long time.

But go buy package of 4 NiMH with a charger at Walmart for $20, and that will last you all night for sure.  Just don't get trashed and destroy the door during a swap.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 06:17:45 PM »
My PowerRunner has a 3.3v setting, I wonder if that would work, hmm.  Can't remember if I tried it or not.
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline dominar

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 06:54:13 PM »
3 Volts = 2 standard 1.5 V batteries.  I'm not sure about a plug and play solution, but anything with 2 typical batteries and the right plug ought to do it.... $5 at Rad Shack.  I bet a couple of D batteries would go a long time.

But go buy package of 4 NiMH with a charger at Walmart for $20, and that will last you all night for sure.  Just don't get trashed and destroy the door during a swap.

I'm trying to avoid the whole swapping of batteries issue as that will force stopage of recording and be fairly obvious to onlookers.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 06:52:10 AM »

I'm trying to avoid the whole swapping of batteries issue as that will force stopage of recording and be fairly obvious to onlookers.

The liability with external power using a rotating power plug is having a very short interruption that not only stops the recording, but could trash the memory card to loose everything, and maybe the card gets damaged in the process. 

Suggest instead considering using 2 Energizer L91 photo lithium AA cells INSIDE the deck that should get you nearly 10 hours straight running time.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 11:28:29 AM »
[The liability with external power using a rotating power plug is having a very short interruption that not only stops the recording, but could trash the memory card to loose everything, and maybe the card gets damaged in the process. ...

Generally, yes.  But not with this recorder.  Though I don't recommend doing it, I've inserted and removed the AC adaptor while playing back, transfering files via USB and while test recording and never have had a power interuption as long as the batteries have charge.  The switch to internal batt power is seamless.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dominar

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 07:20:44 PM »
Not sure why that would be an issue.  I envisioned a battery powered device that plugs into the AC jack on the R-09, one would use that as a power source and forgo batteries inside the R-09.   

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 11:14:26 PM »
Not sure why that would be an issue.  I envisioned a battery powered device that plugs into the AC jack on the R-09, one would use that as a power source and forgo batteries inside the R-09.   

If you forgo the internal batteries, then you would have worries about the power jack getting intermittent or even possibly pulling out by accident and ruining your recording like Guysonic mentioned.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com