Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tube Mic battery power supplies  (Read 2393 times)

Offline tubems

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • local idiot
Tube Mic battery power supplies
« on: August 09, 2007, 10:36:12 PM »
Hey hey

i have a pair of tube mics that use ec92 tubes, does anyone have experience with making battery supplies for tube mics.  These are diff from the km54 tubes which i have seen people run off battery sleds before...currently i need to run an inverter and tubeps, which aint bad...but...you know, an inverter...

thanks
------------
local idiot

Offline tubems

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • local idiot
Re: Tube Mic battery power supplies
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 02:08:41 AM »
I've built tube power supplies but not with batteries!

Spec sheet says 6.3V @ 150mA for the heaters, 4 C batteries would drive two mics for a reasonable period of time, 4 AAs somewhat less.  The trick is the plate voltage, that tube is rated up to 250V, but the mic might use less.  Almost certainly more than 100V though, so you are looking at a whole bunch of batteries to stack for that (or build a DC-DC converter).  Current is usually minimal, so A23s would work fine, 9Vs would last forever.

Try to score the schematic for the power supply, otherwise just test all the pins from the power supply to see what's what.  Some tube mics have the plate and capsule voltage shared; some have them separate; especially if the mic is multipattern and switched at the power supply.

ok, i have the schematics for both the mics (neumann m582), and the stock supplies, here is the one for the ps...and for the mic...

cool, this is something
dan
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 02:25:51 AM by tubems »
------------
local idiot

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com