Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So, I am in the market for some new mics...  (Read 6634 times)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
So, I am in the market for some new mics...
« on: December 11, 2003, 02:40:01 PM »
and I wanted to consult the ts.com sages for their unbiased opinions.  At this point in time, I am looking to get into a set of mics w/ capsules (where applicable) for around $750 used/new (or less)

I will be running these in front of a w-mod UA-5 -> NJB3.

I tape almost exclusively in small bars where the sound guys are usually good, but the room is not ideal.  

These are the options I have been considering:

1) Neumman KM140s - someone was selling these for $700 + a bunch of accessories.  My research has led me to think these are cardoids only, and the capsules can't be switched.  I have a feeling that getting this deal is going to be rare.

EDIT: These are KM184's - not KM140's - my bad...

2) AKG 391s - in the yard sale right now - interchangable capsules, but for my primary taping settings, I am assuming hypers would be the best.

3) ADK TL's - can get them at a decent price for a matched pair new... I am fond of the look of LD mics (yeah, good way to decide... ;D) but I am not sure of the advantages of LD over SD mics.  These also have the Hyper setting, which might be nice.

4) Earthworks Sr-71's /77's - I know 71's are quite a bit cheaper, but these are cards only, and I have read that these can cause some havoc to a UA-5...

Right now, I am finding myself leaning to the TL's, but I want someone to talk me into it further, or out of it, if they think it wouldn't be right for my needs...

Or maybe suggest something else that I haven't considered?

THanks in advance y'all!

Peace-
Pfife

« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 02:58:41 PM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re:So, I am in the market for some new mics...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 02:43:27 PM »
1) Neumman KM140s - someone was selling these for $700 + a bunch of accessories.  My research has led me to think these are cardoids only, and the capsules can't be switched.  I have a feeling that getting this deal is going to be rare.

This is a good deal.  These are KM100 with AK40 cardioid caps.  Omni (AK3x) and hyper (AK50) caps are also available, but relatively expensive.

Personally, I'd go with the KM140s or TLs.  If you wanna stealth, you could add a set of actives to the KM140s for a few hundred, I think.  If not looking to stealth much, I'd go with the TLs - far more flexible.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 02:56:29 PM »
if u can go neumans go that route.  i have been runnin 391's > w-mod UA-5. sounds good, i really like it, i like the natural sound the akg's have, with the warms of the ua-5.  and yes from what i've heard the earthworks are power hogs, they take lots..  the 391's only have a 2ma draw, and run at 9 v's equally to 52.   to take that into account for battery usage, look in the archival section http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=1904.  good luck man.
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 03:10:18 PM »
Thanks guys - I messed up, and realized that the Neumann's in question are KM184's, as opposed to KM140's.

I think this rules out the actives, as these don't have removable capsules, I am pretty sure.  Would you still hold those to equal or better to get than TL's?

One more thing, with crappy rooms but good sound guys, do you think I am going to wish I had hypers if I decide to get these KM184's that are only cards?    I have never taped with a set of hypers, so I don't know exactly how much it will improve my recordings.

Thanks again dogz!

~Pfife

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 03:17:54 PM »
ok a few things, if you are only going to be in small bars and clubs then you really dont need hypers.  so changing patterns shouldn't be a big deal.  oh and if you are using omnis in a small venue... well dont even make me go there :-P  also one thing to be aware of, 184's for 700 is rediculously low.  if you have the option try to find a pair of km84i's (these came out in the 70s i believe)  they sound way better than the 184s.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 03:26:56 PM »
ok a few things, if you are only going to be in small bars and clubs then you really dont need hypers.  so changing patterns shouldn't be a big deal.  oh and if you are using omnis in a small venue... well dont even make me go there :-P  also one thing to be aware of, 184's for 700 is rediculously low.  if you have the option try to find a pair of km84i's (these came out in the 70s i believe)  they sound way better than the 184s.

really? I prefer hypers in small bars and clubs, helps cut dowm on nasty reflections.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 03:37:07 PM »
the only nasty reflection you have to deal with is when you look in the mirror in the morning.  :P
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Brian

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 03:38:09 PM »
i know i wish i had some hypers for a small clulb here in st. louis.

hey tim you remember a band called naked groove. Jay told me you said they were the SCI st. louis cover band. well i went to a show because a friend of mine told me about the opener which was pretty good. when naked groove came i could only stand it for about 10 min. and then got the hell outta dodge. feckin happy hippie garbage. I WANNA ROCK NOT SLEEP!!!!!!!!!!

Brian

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2003, 03:42:43 PM »
Ahhhhh...the KM140s are actually 184s.  I say go for the TLs!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

DaryanLenz

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2003, 04:03:42 PM »
I agree, TL's.  I run hypers almost all the time indoors, and you will wish you had them that first time you step into a place that should sound good but never will for whatever reasons.  

+t's to you for getting out there and getting better gear!  Oh yeah, if you want unbiased opinions, you probably shouldn't listen to any of us!

D

Offline Brian

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2003, 04:08:22 PM »
you probably shouldn't listen to any of us!
D

especially me.....i don't know anything and it's a miracle that i can make average tapes  ;)

seriously thinking about getting some TL's but need a few more hundred bucks.  god this upgrade bug is a killer! i could get some hyper caps for the octavas but i think i should just get rid of them and join team ADK!

Brian
« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 04:09:01 PM by STL-Taper »

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2003, 04:08:54 PM »
the few tapes that i've heard w/ the adk tls have all sounded very nice, the switchable patterns are great luxury but the tradeoff is that they're a bit more obtrusive than a set of small diaphrams.  this isn't one of the options you've mentioned i've also heard quite a few nice sounding tapes using the akg 481 > wmod ua-5 combo and there is currently a set for sale in the used gear section for $750.  if it were me i'd go with the 481s but the tls are sweet sound mics as well.

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2003, 04:09:18 PM »
i know i wish i had some hypers for a small clulb here in st. louis.

hey tim you remember a band called naked groove. Jay told me you said they were the SCI st. louis cover band. well i went to a show because a friend of mine told me about the opener which was pretty good. when naked groove came i could only stand it for about 10 min. and then got the hell outta dodge. feckin happy hippie garbage. I WANNA ROCK NOT SLEEP!!!!!!!!!!

Brian

didn't ring a bell until you said SCI cover band... they were awful, Jess and I walked out about 5 songs in. They did 2 SCI songs, 1 original and 2 covers that SCI does...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2003, 04:30:13 PM »
I cant believe you guys are dissin' the neumann km184.
they are a fantastic mic, and $700 for a used pair is a good deal.

I bet they would smoke through your wmod.
IMO, the search would end right here.

DaryanLenz

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2003, 04:38:03 PM »
you probably shouldn't listen to any of us!
D

especially me.....i don't know anything and it's a miracle that i can make average tapes  ;)

seriously thinking about getting some TL's but need a few more hundred bucks.  god this upgrade bug is a killer! i could get some hyper caps for the octavas but i think i should just get rid of them and join team ADK!

Brian

Definately get the tl's, no comparision IMHBO!  (in my honest biased opinion ;))

D

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2003, 04:46:51 PM »
after using AKG 391 for years and years(not a great mic, but not bad either), I am REALLY loving the sound of the TL's(card)...the bass is so FAT and clear(detailed a better word?) and the highs are warm but not harsh.
best $650 I have ever spent on gear!

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Brian

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2003, 04:50:26 PM »
I cant believe you guys are dissin' the neumann km184.
they are a fantastic mic, and $700 for a used pair is a good deal.

I bet they would smoke through your wmod.
IMO, the search would end right here.

i've actually ran skm184>w-mod once but it was in a noisy as hell bar with the bands own PA.  in that situation the difference between that rec and an octava recording from the same spot were minimal. little more bass clarity in the neuman's and that's about it. would love to run skm184>w-mod in a real music venue with sweet PA.

brian

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2003, 05:16:12 PM »
Get the TL's if you can live with having huge mics. Nothing touches them in this price range. You get so many options, I haven't even tried them all. The hypers don't lack bass like some do. The omnis are great outside. Cards are definitely my favorite though very well rounded.
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2003, 06:54:44 PM »
I'd say the TL's. Or Goose's 481's in the yard sale for 750.00
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2003, 01:52:00 PM »
Thanks guys... +T's all around.  I will soon be a member of team ADK... My TL's have been ordered!

Peace-
Pfife

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Online Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2003, 02:13:18 PM »
good move.  can't go wrong with the TL's.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2003, 02:28:37 PM »
Now I just need to find a t-bar that is approximately 14.5" inches long...  I asked sonic sense when I ordered the mics, and they seemed a little sketchy about it, and said I needed to call back on monday...

No luck on the mic supply website either...

Any other suggestions for finding this t-bar?

Also, is it possible to run these in yx/blumlein using solely a shure vertical bar?  It's hard for me to picture it, because I have never physically seen the mics, shockmounts, or vert bar...

Thanks for all the input.  I was leaning toward the TL's anyways, but I needed that final nudging, I guess.

Peace-
Pfife
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 02:33:20 PM by pfife »

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2003, 04:21:48 PM »
Great choice on the TLs! :)  Moke is right...I have no problem running any pattern with the shure vert bar.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2003, 04:38:10 PM »
T+ Pfife you'll love the TL's

I....must...get....vertical...bar.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 52 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com