Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable Recorder for Using "Hot" RCA Tape Outputs From Mixer  (Read 7212 times)

Offline decryption

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Portable Recorder for Using "Hot" RCA Tape Outputs From Mixer
« on: February 05, 2014, 08:35:40 PM »
I'm often recording stuff from various mixers for use in recording talks & conferences and would like to know if there's a portable recorder that can handle recording from the normally "hot"  RCA tape outs, without any extra adapters? Just a good quality 2x RCA to 3.5mm cable directly into the recorder?

Chimney Top

Re: Portable Recorder for Using "Hot" RCA Tape Outputs From Mixer
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 09:09:01 PM »
I'm often recording stuff from various mixers for use in recording talks & conferences and would like to know if there's a portable recorder that can handle recording from the normally "hot"  RCA tape outs, without any extra adapters? Just a good quality 2x RCA to 3.5mm cable directly into the recorder?

Anything that has a line level input should be ok, and not mic level.  Line level with adjustable sensativity settings would be even better.

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 09:19:06 PM »
Sony m10 is the best around for the price. It's very good with hot signals and just make sure to use the line in.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 09:25:30 PM »
my local bar I record at a lot only has rca tape out lol.  I run rca > 1/8" into my Sony m10 LINE IN and works beautifully
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline decryption

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 10:20:29 PM »
Wow, quick replies, thank you :D

The RCA/Tape Outs are generally the easiest to use on a mixer as they're normally unused, unlike the main outputs for 1/4" which often some mixers don't even have (or if they do, they're used by something else).

The Sony PCM-M10 looks great, but a bit expensive (about $320 here in Australia).

I was hoping to buy either the Zoom H1 or the Tascam DR-05 depending on how good either unit is at handling the output from a mixer's RCA/Tape output without any extra accessories.

Chimney Top

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 10:22:26 PM »
Wow, quick replies, thank you :D

The RCA/Tape Outs are generally the easiest to use on a mixer as they're normally unused, unlike the main outputs for 1/4" which often some mixers don't even have (or if they do, they're used by something else).

The Sony PCM-M10 looks great, but a bit expensive (about $320 here in Australia).

I was hoping to buy either the Zoom H1 or the Tascam DR-05 depending on how good either unit is at handling the output from a mixer's RCA/Tape output without any extra accessories.

I would check out Olympus LS-10, LS-12 etc., and avoid the Zoom H1.

Chimney Top

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 10:26:42 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-LS-11-Linear-PCM-Recorder-Professional-Portable-Field-DEMO-UNIT-NEW-/171232471205?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27de4028a5

Olympus LS-11 on ebay.  1 day 20 hrs left at $56.

Good choice, and the internal mic's are pretty good.

edit) crap, ships to USA only.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:30:22 PM by Chimney Top »

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 10:41:35 PM »
I've used a Tascam DR-07 MKII (same specs as the DR-05) and it handles a soundboard feed ok. Even better and more rugged I like the Tascam DR-40 as a line-in deck, as it has locking XLR inputs which I like better than mini plug for longevity. 

Offline decryption

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 10:49:37 PM »
The Olympus LS12 is about $160 and the Tascam DR-05 is $130. Does anyone know which unit would handle the level from the RCA/Tape output of a mixer?

I've used a Tascam DR-07 MKII (same specs as the DR-05) and it handles a soundboard feed ok. Even better and more rugged I like the Tascam DR-40 as a line-in deck, as it has locking XLR inputs which I like better than mini plug for longevity.

With the DR-07 MKII, did you just use a 2x RCA to 3.5mm minijack cable from the tape out on the mixer? No issues with the levels?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:56:23 PM by decryption »

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 10:52:29 PM »
I don't reccomend the tascan dr-05 for anything hot signal wise, it's inputs are really hot.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline decryption

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »
I don't reccomend the tascan dr-05 for anything hot signal wise, it's inputs are really hot.

Bummer :(

Maybe the Olympus LS12 can handle a hot signal properly?

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 11:00:40 PM »
With the DR-07 MKII, did you just use a 2x RCA to 3.5mm minijack cable from the tape out on the mixer? No issues with the levels?

I had a Y-cable: XLRs from the board to a minijack into the recorder. If I recall I did have the input level at "0" and fine tuned with the board fader.

Offline decryption

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 11:18:05 PM »

I had a Y-cable: XLRs from the board to a minijack into the recorder. If I recall I did have the input level at "0" and fine tuned with the board fader.

Ahh, XLRs from the board would be nice. Most of the time on the boards I need to connect to, the sole XLR output is hooked up to a PA - leaving me with either 2x 1/4" outputs or the RCA outputs. Using the 1/4" outputs is fine (and my preference, as they're balanced & mic level), but a lot of the boards don't seem to have them and it's RCA (line level) only.

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 04:34:05 AM »
If I read correctly, Olympus LS-10 (and I assume LS-5 & 11) can handle +24 dBu into the line input, with the knob on 1.5.
http://www.sonicstudios.com/ls10revw.htm
FWIW.

runonce

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 07:04:03 AM »

Ahh, XLRs from the board would be nice. Most of the time on the boards I need to connect to, the sole XLR output is hooked up to a PA - leaving me with either 2x 1/4" outputs or the RCA outputs. Using the 1/4" outputs is fine (and my preference, as they're balanced & mic level), but a lot of the boards don't seem to have them and it's RCA (line level) only.

1/4 inch outs are not mic level...more likely balanced, line level...and pro level, +4db...quite a bit hotter than the RCAs...

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 09:00:16 AM »
If I read correctly, Olympus LS-10 (and I assume LS-5 & 11) can handle +24 dBu into the line input, with the knob on 1.5.
FWIW.

Yes, it takes quite a hot signal according to Guysonic.

Offline decryption

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 03:42:22 PM »

1/4 inch outs are not mic level...more likely balanced, line level...and pro level, +4db...quite a bit hotter than the RCAs...

Yep, you're right! My bad.

Chimney Top

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 03:57:55 PM »
FWIW.

the LS-5 is another line of recorders.  The LS-11,12,14 were improved on the LS-10.

edit) I just looked up the LS-5, must be new... similar features to the LS-10.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 04:08:57 PM by Chimney Top »

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 04:06:40 PM »

And as Chimney Top says, avoid the Zoom H1 as well. Even line in it would be very easy for it to distort when given a hot input signal.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 08:40:15 PM »
FWIW.

the LS-5 is another line of recorders.  The LS-11,12,14 were improved on the LS-10.

edit) I just looked up the LS-5, must be new... similar features to the LS-10.

I read somewhere it's a European version?
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov10/articles/olympusls5.htm
I bought mine two or three years ago 150 euros, new; much cheaper than a M10.
http://www.avisoft.com/LS-5.pdf (specs on p. 83).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com