Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB 3  (Read 3483 times)

Offline bombayvindaloo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
JB 3
« on: March 02, 2014, 05:16:19 PM »
Hi,

about three weeks ago I`ve found again my Creative Nomad Jukebox 3. I´ve "lost" it 2 or 3 years ago in the cellar. To my surprise it is fully functional and there are still some recordings on it. I thought they were lost.

The problem is, I cant get them to my PC harddrive. There is no PC with an old Windows available and I didn`t get it to work with Windows 7 (USB and Firewire). I´ve tried several Linux live distributions and gnomad but I´m not very familiar with Linux. In the result I can`t connect the PC and the JB3.

Any help is greatly appreciated !

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: JB 3
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:27:56 AM »
If you can find a Mac running 10.4 or below it should show up as an external drive where you can get the files. Not sure about newer, never tried
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 01:41:56 PM »
On my Mac running Mavericks I just use the open source nomad software - it does not show up as a drive and I can only xfer a file at a time.

I use it the jb3 I have for 32khz DAT xfers
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline bombayvindaloo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 03:46:08 PM »
Maybe i can try it with a Mac a the weekend. But this one will be OS X 10.8.

Did you use Firewire or USB?

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 03:54:38 PM »
This is a very long way around, but if you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate,  you can get XP Mode free at M$, which is an entire XP installation inside a virtual machine.  Other versions of Win7, no.

As I understand it, Win7 thinks it's sharing a network with an XP computer.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

It's 450MB, so it's huge, but if the Nomad worked on XP you could probably tinker around and get get those files.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 05:41:01 PM »
I used USB - I don't own a FireWire 800 to mini 400 cable

It's XNJB and it looks like it's still being worked on
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline bombayvindaloo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 03:00:18 PM »
This is a very long way around, but if you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate,  you can get XP Mode free at M$, which is an entire XP installation inside a virtual machine.  Other versions of Win7, no.

As I understand it, Win7 thinks it's sharing a network with an XP computer.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

It's 450MB, so it's huge, but if the Nomad worked on XP you could probably tinker around and get get those files.

No, it is only W7 Home Premium.

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 05:34:22 PM »
Wow, I wish I didn't have several old Windows boxes in my basement. I'm sure one of your friends would love to unload one on you on its way to the recycling center.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

runonce

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 08:02:41 PM »
Virtual Machine might help - set one up and install a Linux distro that supports Gnomad2 - or if you still have an XP disc and key - you can use that.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 03:23:28 PM »
here's a link to a dowload of the iso for windows xp (service pack 3) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25129

Keep in mind that you have a month to register (or delete) before it will require registration.  You could install this within a virtual machine and then use the jb3 software from your xp install to get what you need off the jb3

Offline earmonger

• Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 05:38:29 PM »
OP is using Windows 7.

If it's Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, then Microsoft's own XP Mode--linked above--works a lot more seamlessly than anyone else's virtual machine, and it won't expire like downloading XP itself.  I've tried Virtualbox and Dosbox for a program I've been clinging to, and MS is a lot happier with its own VM.

Otherwise, sure, go for some other virtual machine, maybe via Windows Virtual PC

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3702

The free VMware Player

http://www.vmware.com/products/player

will also run older MS operating systems, which can be found if you Google around for abandonware.  Whatever Windows you were using in the JB3's heyday, you can probably find a copy.

If you do try a virtual machine, get the original instructions from the software maker  and go slowly step by step, because it gets mighty geeky.  But there is a lot of online help around.

Offline bombayvindaloo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 04:50:57 PM »
I didn`t want to corrupt my system with virtual machines, (full) Linux installations or something like this. So I have picked up an old PC, get it to work, installed Windows XP (CD version distributed in 2001). From this point there are no more problems. Most of the files could be rescued and transferred.

Many thanks for your help.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com