Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR100 MkII - SPDIF STEREO QUESTION  (Read 2119 times)

Offline mkho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Tascam DR100 MkII - SPDIF STEREO QUESTION
« on: March 30, 2014, 12:38:33 PM »
Hi,

I am new to field-recording (I'm a video editor) but have recently bought a setup which I'm using to record ambiences and sfx in the field.

It is comprised of a Sound Devices USB Pre 2 (which I'm also using as the audio interface for my home editing rig) used as a front-end to a Tascam DR100 MkII.

I am feeding a digital signal into the Tascam via SPDIF (mini-jack to RCA).

One thing is confusing me - I sometimes use a mono mic (Sennheiser 416) and in this configuration the setup is working great for me - but I also sometimes use a one-point stereo mic (AT 825) which connects via 2 x XLR.

When I monitor via the headphone jack on the USB Pre 2 I get the behaviour I expect from the AT 825 which is, when I speak into the left element of the mic I only hear it in the left earphone and vice-versa for the right element.

However when I monitor via the headphone jack on the Tascam (or listen back to a recording) this separation of discrete L & R tracks doesn't seem to be occurring. If I speak into the left element I get the same signal in both channels and vice-versa for the right hand element.

I'm assuming that this will negate any stereo-field that the mic is recording so I don't want this to happen.

Am I doing something wrong? My assumption was that I should be hearing the same thing when monitoring the headphone output of the Tascam as the headphone output of the USB Pre and I don't really understand why this is happening.

Any help much appreciated.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR100 MkII - SPDIF STEREO QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 07:09:12 PM »
Can't really help you but I agree that you should hear the same l/r on the tascam as the usbpre
What I would do is a test - record a file and talk into each channel of the mic
Import the file to your computer and see if the recording is showing as l/r matching your voice or if it is recording in both channels even when you talk into one or the other
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:19:20 PM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline mkho

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 07:30:31 PM »
Hi Will,

Thanks for the advice.

I did make a test recording and the recording is the same as I hear when monitoring the headphone socket of the Tascam - i.e. whichever side of the mic I speak into I hear signal on both channels, they are not separated.

I am going to do two more tests, but I need to buy some more cables first before I can do them :(

1: Going 2 x XLR line out (L & R) of the SD USB Pre into the L & R XLR inputs on the Tascam

2: Going 2 x RCA Aux out into the (L & R) XLR Line-in of the Tascam

Unfortunately even if the XLR line signal path works properly for stereo I have an ergonomics problem as those sockets are on the rear, not the side of the USB Pre and as I have the kit in a Petrol PS607 bag I'm not sure I'll be able to fit it in the bag plugged like that...

If the Aux signal path works for stereo is the Aux out of the USB Pre a suitable signal to go into the Line-in of the Tascam? (I suspect not ideally)

Anyway I also emailed Sound Devices tech support so I hope between them and the interweb I'll get an answer one way or the other.

It's annoying because it all works so well in mono and I'd prefer to keep the signal path digital (plus the cabling in the bag is a lot simpler that way!)

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 09:03:58 PM »
Is the recorder set to record in mono? Very good chances in the settings all you have to do is change it to stereo and it should work. Let me know if that works, if not I have a few other Ideas but don't want to type an essay unless I have to.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline mkho

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 02:54:40 AM »
Thanks so much Phil

I think that's what it was!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com