Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Totally lost with SONY PCM-D100! PLEASE HELP! D50 users??? URGENT!  (Read 6962 times)

Offline frenki09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Please help!

The following will sound silly and basic, but I thought there's no shame in asking for help.

I just updated from MD(!) to SONY PCM-D100. I know... Don't even start...  :P

I am lost. With MD it was MIC Sens Low and setting the volume manually ... and it was done. I have recorded countless concerts over the years.

And I already screwed up two recordings with my state-of-the-art D100. Both recordings totally distorted. (I used the default setting and the dial -- rec level -- was set between 1 and 2!!! Still super distorted.)

I record loud rock concerts most of the time (with the built in mics).

I googled it and googled it, but found no useful info on how to set the recorder, not even for the D50. Searched here, but came up with nothing.

So the D100 (or D50) has:
-- Digital Limiter (150 ms, 1 sec, 1 min)
-- Peak Hold
-- SBM (Super Bit Mapping)
-- S/N 100dB
-- LCF (Low Cut)

I assume some of these have to be set properly otherwise a loud recording would be useless. Which one do I need to use?

Just so you know, I am not a native speaker of English, and I am not very familiar with technical terms.

Could somebody please recommend a setting for recording a LOUD live rock concert?

I did some tests with different settings, but still lost... and there seems to be way too many variations and not enough time to keep testing and testing and testing...

Let's say I have the default setting. Input switch is set to MIC. MIC ATT switch is set to the "20". Where do I go from there?

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

Frankie

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Totally lost with SONY PCM-D100! PLEASE HELP! D50 users??? URGENT!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 03:52:46 PM »
If you have the record level set that low, it's quite possible you can never record a loud concert using the internal microphones without distorion. Either the microphones themselves can't handle the loud sound level or the first stage of the input electronics can't handle it. 

There's a long thread here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=164484
that you may have already tried to read through. Almost all of us here at TS use external microphones, so there may not be any actual experience of anyone else (here) trying to record loud music with the internal microphones.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline mr qpl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 04:03:12 PM »
i've recorded quite a few loud shows with my d50, without any distortion at all.... I think I set it around a 3 on the recording level. Were your peak lights showing green or red??

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 09:05:05 AM »
Ib don't think any of those menu options you listed would prevent distortion from a too loud sound source. If you're using the internal mics, 'mic' switch on, -20dB switch on, @ rec level 1-2, and still getting distortion you need to move further back from the sound source, only thing for it I think (or get external mics).

BTW what levels are you peaking with the dial set so low at 1-2? Sounds awfully low to me.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:06:59 AM by yates7592 »

Offline mr qpl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 05:33:54 PM »
limiter off
lcf off
mic atten 20
dpc off
input on mic

works for loud sources (the Melvins!) with my d50 at 10' from stack, almost painful volume with 20 db cut earplugs

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 08:43:23 PM »
Maybe im wrong but i cant recall any minidisc recorder with internal mics.

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 12:25:39 PM »
You might get some questions answered here: http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline 1984

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 08:12:24 PM »
I'm having the same exact issue with my D100, and its a 100% deal breaker.
High volume sound sources are resulting in distorted recordings, despite the input being set around 2, and the meters are still green. Coincidence, I posted a similar message about this issue earlier today in a different D100 thread.

I only picked up the D100 after my D1 got stolen in January. I figured it would be a reasonable replacement, but I have been unhappy with the initial test recordings (band rehearsal) due to the unexpected distortion. 

If the internal mics or stage one input electronics really can't handle high volumes, well, Sony cut the wrong corner with this thing and it's heading back to the store while I can still get a refund. I have never needed an external mic with a PCM D1 or D50 to make amazing band recordings in any venue. They both excelled at recording live shows, band practice in small rooms at close proximities, etc. Recording anything really! Both are brilliant units for this purpose.

I was suspicious after reading the D100 user manual that it made no mention of recording live shows or events...its suggested uses were for recording "practicing" acoustic guitar or making quiet field recordings of birds or rivers (great stuff I do, but that's not all).

Total bummer! 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com