Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FLAC Replaygain by album - batch conversion tips?  (Read 5089 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
FLAC Replaygain by album - batch conversion tips?
« on: January 04, 2014, 01:08:14 PM »
Anyone have a nifty solution (either unix or osx) that will do take a bunch of folders and do replaygain album & track tags. I'm using Clementine for a player and it respects album tags so I'm interested.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
Re: FLAC Replaygain by album - batch conversion tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:58:03 AM »
No idea on replay gain question I'm afraid, but I long ago gave up looking for an audio player for Mac OS that was as flexible and feature rich as foobar. The main feature: play FLAC natively! this might be it!

I know there have been a few like macamp but they fell by the way side. tough to compete with iTunes otherwise, even with all of its issues.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 12:20:27 PM »
Xact does album gain...

Cog also plays flac files natively, fwiw...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 01:01:05 PM »
No idea on replay gain question I'm afraid, but I long ago gave up looking for an audio player for Mac OS that was as flexible and feature rich as foobar. The main feature: play FLAC natively! this might be it!

Yeah, Clementine is ok. Songbird was good too, especially in terms of configuration.

Xact does album gain...

doh, I'd forgotten about the utils page. Thanks.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 01:05:22 PM »
I played with clementine some, but there seemed to be a lot of overhead/bloat...

Cog is barebones but doesn't have features like replay gain support...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 01:13:51 PM »
I played with clementine some, but there seemed to be a lot of overhead/bloat...

Yeah, that's partially why I didn't stick with Cog when I tried it. I'm actually coming from Songbird, so Clementine is light weight comparatively.  ;D

Serious question; if I've already applied RG tags via other means (I actually can't remember which sets I've done), I notice that xact writes a set anyway. Does it chuck/overwrite the old set or does it add a second set, or what? Paging scott, cleanup on aisle 5.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 12:02:52 AM »
sorry to ask, but wtf is replaygain?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 12:41:26 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain

"ReplayGain is a proposed standard published by David Robinson in 2001 to measure the perceived loudness of audio in computer audio formats such as MP3 and Ogg Vorbis. It allows players to normalize loudness for individual tracks or albums. This avoids the common problem of having manually to adjust volume levels between tracks when playing audio files from albums that have been mastered at different loudness levels."

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 03:34:04 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain

"ReplayGain is a proposed standard published by David Robinson in 2001 to measure the perceived loudness of audio in computer audio formats such as MP3 and Ogg Vorbis. It allows players to normalize loudness for individual tracks or albums. This avoids the common problem of having manually to adjust volume levels between tracks when playing audio files from albums that have been mastered at different loudness levels."

Thanks Page! I kinda thought thats what it did, but wasnt sure! Sounds neat!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 04:32:11 PM »

Yeah, that's partially why I didn't stick with Cog when I tried it. I'm actually coming from Songbird, so Clementine is light weight comparatively.  ;D

Serious question; if I've already applied RG tags via other means (I actually can't remember which sets I've done), I notice that xact writes a set anyway. Does it chuck/overwrite the old set or does it add a second set, or what? Paging scott, cleanup on aisle 5.

Off the top of my head, I don't think xACT is removing any RG tags unless you specifically tell it to. I think I'm just calling metaflac's  --add-replay-gain command

documentation for the command:

--add-replay-gain    Calculates the title and album gains/peaks of the given FLAC files as if all the files were part of one album, then stores them as FLAC tags. The tags are the same as those used by vorbisgain. Existing ReplayGain tags will be replaced. If only one FLAC file is given, the album and title gains will be the same. Since this operation requires two passes, it is always executed last, after all other operations have been completed and written to disk. All FLAC files specified must have the same resolution, sample rate, and number of channels. The sample rate must be one of 8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, or 48 kHz.

I can double check the code when I get home

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 04:50:29 PM »
Thanks, that helps.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 04:52:32 PM »
though the flac documentation says "Existing ReplayGain tags will be replaced"

you said they weren't replaced when xACT wrote them?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 12:53:47 AM »
though the flac documentation says "Existing ReplayGain tags will be replaced"

you said they weren't replaced when xACT wrote them?

dunno, didn't check, I know that they had RG tags before and after. I don't have metaflac or anything else that can tell me stuff on the machine in question so I'm working purely on what you tell me.  :-[

Offline scb

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 07:43:33 AM »
just re-read your earlier post and noticed you were asking me what it did. woops. according to the documentation, it should replace the old tags

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com