Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Bag suggestions  (Read 3359 times)

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
Bag suggestions
« on: December 29, 2008, 08:07:43 AM »
My wife and I got a Canon Rebel XS + telephoto lens for Christmas.  ;D So, we're looking for bag suggestions. I'd like the bag to be just small enough for the camera, standard lens attached, and telephoto lens. Nothing else is really needed.

I have a Lowepro Nova Mini, which is a little too small. I've been impressed with the Lowepro Nova line, and the price is nice, so that's a good starting point.

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bag suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 09:24:22 AM »
I have this:

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Micro-Trekker-100,1962,14.htm

I am selling it as I need more room than it.  Perfect size for a rebel, attached lens and a telephoto.  Too small for my needs.  If you interersted, just pm me.  I'll let it go cheap.

oh, I'm waiting on a kata bag from ups and my other bag (which I wouldn't recommend) just ripped apart at the seams.

Offline spreetaper

• Taperssection Member
    • Brooklynvibes.com
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 09:43:02 AM »
lowepro is def a nice option i have one as my main taping bag which i also on occasion use as a camera bag
but if you really want to get a nice bag but also not draw too much attention to yourself as a tourist etc if you intend on traveling etc

try a Crumpler
I own the 7 million dollar home which holds two bodies (XT and XTi) with attached 70-200mm and 24-70mm lens and also holds 5 additional smaller lenses

depending on the size of your telephoto lense you could probably get away with a 5 million dollar home
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/384131-REG/Crumpler_MD0503A_5_Million_Dollar_Home.html#reviews
$60

the real key to the crumpler is it looks like a messenger bag so when I go shooting in NYC as i do often i never get anyone thinking im a tourist until after i pull out the cameras from the bag  ;D
My new blog site with live recordings and photography
(Brooklynvibes.com)

Cameras = Digital Rebel XT, XTi
Lenses =Canon 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 
70-200mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8
Tokina AT-X 124 (12-24 f/4)

Main Rig = AKG 414's > SD 702
Extra gear = Apogee MiniMe, Sound Devices MP-2, Tascam HD-P2
Stealth = AT853's > BB > Edirol R-09

Playback = Cambridge DVD> Digital Link III > Trio C-100> VR-1's

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 10:19:45 AM »
Thanks for the offer, stirinthesauce, but we're definitely not looking for a backpack style bag. Shoulder bag is the choice for us.

The Crumpler suggestion looks pretty nice. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 11:58:20 AM »
Thanks for the offer, stirinthesauce, but we're definitely not looking for a backpack style bag. Shoulder bag is the choice for us.

Personally, I prefer backpack-style bags, but understand you do not.  So, my first recommendation is out (Lowepro FastPack100).  I hate carrying shoulder bags, don't particularly like sling bags, and really enjoy the comfort of a backpack-style bag.  For most backpacks, though, access is a PITA.  But with the FP100, I can slip off a shoulder strap and swing the bag around front like a sling bag -- nearly instant, easy access.  I only mention it for two reasons <1> you didn't indicate yea or nea on sling bags, and <2> in case you didn't know a hybrid backpack/sling was an option.  So...if you're open to a sling bag (instead of a backpack/sling combo like the FP100), consider the Lowepro SlingShot 100 or Tamrac Velocity 7x.

As for shoulder bags, I'm useless.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline spreetaper

• Taperssection Member
    • Brooklynvibes.com
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 12:01:34 PM »
I prefer shoulder bags because of the quick access to my cameras/accessories without taking my bag off
My new blog site with live recordings and photography
(Brooklynvibes.com)

Cameras = Digital Rebel XT, XTi
Lenses =Canon 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 
70-200mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8
Tokina AT-X 124 (12-24 f/4)

Main Rig = AKG 414's > SD 702
Extra gear = Apogee MiniMe, Sound Devices MP-2, Tascam HD-P2
Stealth = AT853's > BB > Edirol R-09

Playback = Cambridge DVD> Digital Link III > Trio C-100> VR-1's

stirinthesauce

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 12:05:56 PM »

Personally, I prefer backpack-style bags, but understand you do not.  So, my first recommendation is out (Lowepro FastPack100).  I hate carrying shoulder bags, don't particularly like sling bags, and really enjoy the comfort of a backpack-style bag.  For most backpacks, though, access is a PITA.  But with the FP100, I can slip off a shoulder strap and swing the bag around front like a sling bag -- nearly instant, easy access.  I only mention it for two reasons <1> you didn't indicate yea or nea on sling bags, and <2> in case you didn't know a hybrid backpack/sling was an option.  So...if you're open to a sling bag (instead of a backpack/sling combo like the FP100), consider the Lowepro SlingShot 100 or Tamrac Velocity 7x.

Brian, I looked at this bag extensively.  A very good bag with one drawback (for me at least), no where to store or attach my tripod.  If carrying a tripod is not an issue, then I would whole heartedly agree with you.

Myself, it is very hard to find a bag that meets my needs.  I need a bag that can be used as a sling style for a quick fliparound access, as a backpack for all day hikes (must have a hipbelt), side rear entry for easy one handed access, not to big but not too small, and must MUST be able to attach a tripod. 

I guess what I am getting at is, know EXACTLY what you want out of your bag and then look at the major brands.  You will find what you need.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 12:15:46 PM »
I prefer shoulder bags because of the quick access to my cameras/accessories without taking my bag off

That's precisely the point of the backpack/sling hybrid and sling bags:  one needn't take them off for easy/quick access to contents -- for the hybrid, slip out one shoulder and slide the bag to front;  for the sling, simply slide the bag to front.  For me, the tradeoff involved with bp/sling (more comfortable carrying, only slightly more involved access) outweighs that of shoulder (less comfortable carrying, slighly easier access).  Anyway, we all have our own preferences.  Just wanting to make sure it's clear the bp/sling addresses, to a degree, easy access with additional comfort.

Stir -- the only way I've found to attach a tripod to my FastPack200 is to slot it into one of the mesh pockets on the side.  Only works for very small tripods / monopods, and far from ideal since it skews the bag's weight balance.  I've poked around a bit looking for an accessory add-on tripod strap/pouch, but haven't had any luck yet.   :-\
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 12:56:04 PM »
No need for a tripod. I guess another potential requirement is that the bag fit inside a backpack when we're flying. I think this lends to more of a messenger style bag, but perhaps the Lowepro Nova series may fit too.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 01:06:45 PM »
So...if you're open to a sling bag (instead of a backpack/sling combo like the FP100), consider the Lowepro SlingShot 100 or Tamrac Velocity 7x.

I would go to a camera store and see what bag works best for you. As simple as this advise sounds, do it or else you may regret what you get. I got myself a Velocity 6x from b&h for my nikon 5700 with extra battery pack and there's no way it would fit in there. I was debating on the 6x or 7x but I didn't think the 7x was all that bigger and it was like ~$8-10 more.

BUT

I am now using the 6x for my panasonic fz20, nikon sb28, flash cable, small bogen tripod on the outside (Like this except with a case), batteries, battery charger for the camera, 09hr, high and normal sensitivity binaural mics, koss hadphones, and a camera strap. So I got my money's worth and love carrying the bag around since its my "media bag" and can be ready for anything. For awhile I did carry around a shoulder bag and often just placed it across my body so I didn't have to have to hold on to it at all times.

The backpack bags are worth looking into, IMO. It is true that there is often not room for a tripod but you have your hands for that! :)

Good luck!

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 02:04:35 PM »
Hey Ben...I'm not trying to convince you to buy a design you're not into, but thought I'd just add to the commentary. 

I too like my backpack style bag mainly because I'm finding that I'm carrying a ton of other stuff along with me in my travels.  For example, I have a laptop, one carry-on suitcase, and my backpack camera bag.  The backpack bag gets all my camera gear up on my back and out of the way so I can carry my laptop over my shoulder and wheel my carry-on suitcase behind me.  I can go through the airport like this without dropping anything or getting too fatigued.

The other thing I like about my backpack bag is that it's big enough that I can either load it up with photo gear, or leave a little bit of photo gear out and put my taping gear in (along with the camera/lens and a spare lens).  If I'm heading to a gig, sometimes all I need is the backpack bag for both my photo and audio stuff. 

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 02:15:48 PM »
Well, I went down to the local camera store and tried a bunch out. Ended up with a Lowepro Cirrus 140. It fit our needs just right!

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 10:48:09 PM »
Domke

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com