Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Knockoff Schoeps BD5  (Read 2664 times)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
Re: Knockoff Schoeps BD5
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 09:41:50 PM »
Just to clarify, these look like B5 clones. The B5D screens have the internal cages. In any case, never used them but love my B5Ds!

jcable77

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 09:34:16 AM »
Haha, just posted about em in brians thread. They dont do much in the way of wind protection. I bough a couple pairs a while ago, and have had a couple instances where they just didnt do much in a very light breeze outside/ very light ac unit breeze inside. Good to protect caps in a bag or i use em inside for the heck of it.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 08:16:45 PM »
Noise due to wind, especially in microphones with pressure gradient capsules, can be enormous, or very slight, or anything in between. Often it varies considerably from moment to moment, though. As a result, protection from the worst case is generally desirable, even if that worst case might occur for only a small fraction of the duration of a recording.

The Schoeps B 5 is a pop screen, not a wind screen. It's designed to prevent plosive consonants ("p", "b" etc.) from creating popping sounds when a pressure gradient microphone is used for close pickup of speech or singing. It isn't designed, nor is it claimed by Schoeps, to give adequate protection from any but the very mildest (i.e. barely detectable) wind. It might give, as a WAG, say, 8 or 9 dB average reduction of noise due to wind. That's 8 or 9 dB better than nothing, sure--but if >25 dB reduction of wind noise is what you really needed, and your recording is ruined, it's hardly any comfort to tell yourself, "it would have been even 8 or 9 dB worse."

There's a whole science around this topic that I have only ever delved into lightly, but one "upshot" is that effective wind protection can't be as small, simple, and close-fitting as we might want it to be--nor as inexpensive, alas. For one thing there needs to be a volume of still air around the capsule, so the windscreen needs to be large enough to harbor that still air. The B 5 D has a small "still air" space built in, and is a substantially more effective variant of the B 5--but it is still essentially a pop screen, not a wind screen. Wind can have intermittent, turbulent currents as well as those more uniform in speed and direction; for that reason the surface of a real windscreen needs a more complex texture, which is why "fur-like" coverings are often used.

It can be instructive to visit Rycote's Web site and look at the products they offer, which are highly regarded by film and video sound recordists.

--best regards
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 01:27:29 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com