Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: In-ear headphone / IEM recommendations  (Read 17465 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
In-ear headphone / IEM recommendations
« on: September 18, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »
My latest pair of Etymotic ER-6 (which I use with custom earplugs in place of the filter) bit the dust.  That's 3 pairs now that have gone kaput, and I'm tired of their fragility even under my very gentle use.  Custom molds are a must.  I seem to have oddly shaped ear canals, which make universal fit in-ear 'phones quite uncomfortable...even painful.  So, I'm looking for a new pair of custom-molded in-ear 'phones.

Requirements

• Budget up to ~$250 (not including impressions)
  • Custom molds
  • Robust cabling & connections (i.e. won't break easily)
  • Right-angle mini stereo connector

Bonus

• Removable / replaceable cables
  • Different color earpieces (I struggle to see the small blue or red dot on my otherwise clear earplugs)
  • Dual driver

These are for strictly casual listening, so I'm not looking for absolute top-notch IEMs.  But I don't want bunk, either.  Just something in budget & comfortable for quality (but not critical) listening in planes, trains (but not automobiles), etc.  I found an outdated list of IEM manufacturers on Headfi.  In reviewing those options, and poking around a bit online, these seem to stand out:

$259  |  Fidelity Duals (splinter from Livewires; not sure if/how they're different)
$249  |  LiveWires Dual Driver
$250  |  Tunz Duo (couldn't find pricing on their website)
$189  |  Alien Ears C1000 (single driver)
$249  |  EarSound Maestroz SD (single driver; these are all but ruled out due to poor product name alone!)
$289  |  Westone CR1 (single driver)

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Fidelity Duals.  Anyone have recommendations for other IEMs suiting my requirements and budget, and / or feedback on any of the above?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:21:05 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: In-ear headphone / IEM recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 02:18:27 PM »
  Say I'm considering a set down the line, thanks to your feedback Etymotic will no longer be considered.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline EScott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
My latest pair of Etymotic ER-6 bit the dust.  That's 3 pairs now that have gone kaput, and I'm tired of their fragility even under my very gentle use.  Custom molds are a must.  I seem to have oddly shaped ear canals, which make universal fit in-ear 'phones quite uncomfortable...even painful.  So, I'm looking for a new pair of custom-molded in-ear 'phones.

Requirements

• Budget up to ~$250 (not including impressions)
  • Custom molds
  • Robust cabling & connections (i.e. won't break easily)
  • Right-angle mini stereo connector

Bonus

• Removable / replaceable cables
  • Different color earpieces (I struggle to see the small blue or red dot on my otherwise clear earplugs)
  • Dual driver

These are for strictly casual listening, so I'm not looking for absolute top-notch IEMs.  But I don't want bunk, either.  Just something in budget & comfortable for quality (but not critical) listening in planes, trains (but not automobiles), etc.  I found an outdated list of IEM manufacturers on Headfi.  In reviewing those options, and poking around a bit online, these seem to stand out:

$259  |  Fidelity Duals (splinter from Livewires; not sure if/how they're different)
$249  |  LiveWires Dual Driver
$250  |  Tunz Duo (couldn't find pricing on their website)
$189  |  Alien Ears C1000 (single driver)
$249  |  EarSound Maestroz SD (single driver; these are all but ruled out due to poor product name alone!)
$289  |  Westone CR1 (single driver)

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Fidelity Duals.  Anyone have recommendations for other IEMs suiting my requirements and budget, and / or feedback on any of the above?

Does that pricing include the custom molds?  I see your impressions exclusion.

I had Sensaphonics make mine but they are specific for the brand.

I caught a pair of Shures on sale for 1/2 price a while ago and they work just fine for me. 

The ear pieces isolate so well that I am able to play my drums with my click track and hear nothing but the beats coming from the device.
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 05:47:09 PM »
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 07:11:31 PM »
Just curious what happened to your pairs of ER6's?  I always thought of the construction as fragile, but my (only) pair has lasted since 2005.  Granted, they don't get continuous daily use, but they've been around.  I read about another member who accidentally ran theirs through the wash and ended up working fine afterwards.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »
Just curious what happened to your pairs of ER6's?

Same problem with all three pairs:  one channel simply stopped working.  No visible signs of why, no specific trauma of which I'm aware, just...kaput.  To Etymotic's credit, they've been quite good at replacing them, even out of warranty in one instance, but I just don't want to deal with the hassle anymore.

EScott -- Pricing includes molds, but not impressions.  I've not yet considered custom molds for universal fit 'phones, like the Shure / Sensaphonics option, but seems like I ought to.  Will have to dig a bit more.  Which Shure's do you have? 
Roland R-05

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 09:12:05 PM »
The Westone um3x were nice when I had them and are close to your price range (but above it) and by proxy I'd recomend their single driver unit. I found the um3x to be mildly dark though above about 5khz, they won't sound like the ER-6s (which I also had). They are universal drivers with custom tips made. Investigate whether or not you can have the W3 drivers done as custom tips, I can't remember, but that's the "hi-fi" edition which has a different EQ.

If you're in a pinch, you could double up and get musicians plugs which use the ety filters and then get another set of ER6s which can use those in place of the filters.

"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 01:04:12 AM »
I would check out Grado Labs GR8 or GR10 if I were you. They DO NOT meet all you requirements, but very nice IEM I believe.
a
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 07:38:57 AM »

Same problem with all three pairs:  one channel simply stopped working.  No visible signs of why, no specific trauma of which I'm aware, just...kaput.  To Etymotic's credit, they've been quite good at replacing them, even out of warranty in one instance, but I just don't want to deal with the hassle anymore.

EScott -- Pricing includes molds, but not impressions.  I've not yet considered custom molds for universal fit 'phones, like the Shure / Sensaphonics option, but seems like I ought to.  Will have to dig a bit more.  Which Shure's do you have?

I would look at these or the model above (315)

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Sound-Monitor-Black/dp/B004PNZFZ8/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1316431962&sr=8-16

Sensaphonics is around $80 I think for the ear piece, but they are worth their weight in gold.

I think they are in Chicago so you can save $$ on shipping  ;D

Looks like my style is no longer made. 

1 thing I really like about mine is they fit over the ear - if that makes sense.  I pull the molds over my ear and so the little bit of weight is not hanging but resting over my ears.

Also, not recommended for gym or exercise use - they don't take too well to sweat getting inside of the tiny headphone port.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 08:14:43 AM »
Also, not recommended for gym or exercise use - they don't take too well to sweat getting inside of the tiny headphone port.

It's 8AM and I'm not a morning person and thus I can't find the article specifically now that I wanted to, but I remember reading recently that it's a bad to wear headphones at the gym anyway. As you're working out, the blood slightly drains out of non-working parts (e.g. your ears) and leaves them with less protection than normal to loud sounds thus putting you at a heightened risk for damage.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »

It's 8AM and I'm not a morning person and thus I can't find the article specifically now that I wanted to, but I remember reading recently that it's a bad to wear headphones at the gym anyway. As you're working out, the blood slightly drains out of non-working parts (e.g. your ears) and leaves them with less protection than normal to loud sounds thus putting you at a heightened risk for damage.

With noise cancelling molds, you can use low volume levels and I would argue that it would be fine.  The real problem is people jacking up their Ipod headphones and killing their ears in any situation.

Plus, the music @ the gym sucks!

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 03:33:39 PM »
Read post#1:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-195-iems-compared-fischer-audio-fa-788-skullcandy-smokin-added-9-17-11

OR scroll down to post #8 (towards the bottom) to see a breakdown of each iem in terms of ratings & price.  Makes it very easy to see which iem's in the top 10-15 are within your price range and have a solid review.  I highly recommend that you purchase a pair of IEM's that use the Shure black olive tips.  They are insanely comfortable.  They glide in and out of your ear without any pain and  sit in your ear canal without any pain or sensitivity.  It will just be a matter of finding out which size fits (small, medium, large).  I used the medium tips.

On a personal note:  I loved my Shure SE530's.  They were a wonderful iem, very smooth sounding....worked very well with my two mp3 players (rio karma and iriver h140).  BUT, the darn thing would break after a year or use.   So after three warranty returns, Shure finally replaced the SE530 with the 535.  The 535 turned out to be very uncomfortable due to the physical changes Shure made to the iem bodies and the wiring leading to the bodies.  So I sold them off and have been without iem's for two months.   Shure has a wonderful warranty repair/replacement policy.  Everytime I sent in my busted SE530's they mailed me a brand new pair in it's new box, etc (with new tips and all).  Maybe you should look into the lower tier Shures within your price range.  I don't think they suffered from the same physical change that the SE5xx went through.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 05:30:08 PM »

Westones have the same problem.  I had the Westone 2 and the left earphone went out on three different units.  Westone was great about replacing them, but I shouldn't have to send them back in the first place.  After the third set, Westone upgraded me to the UM3x and they have been good so far, but it's only been like two months.

When I spoke with Westone, they said that the studio monitors IEMs are made in the U.S. and their consumer models are made in China.  The 2 was part of the consumer line so maybe its Chinese origin had something to do with it.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 08:03:03 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I'm trying to stay away from universal fit earphones due to discomfort as a result of my apparently quite narrow ear canal and fairly sharp bend.

I'm still considering custom molds + universal earphones, similar to my molds + ER6i.  Earsound offers Bosefit, Shurefit, and molds that fit a huge selection of earphones (see their "other earbuds" section).  In all cases, it seems the molds simply have the proper sized receptacle into which one inserts the universal earphone.  But by the time I buy the earphones + the molds, the price is at least as expensive as, if not significantly morethan, the low end IEMs.  Pro:  if the earphones break, I can simply replace them with the same model, rather than replacing the entire IEM.  Con:  I suspect they aren't as durable and / or don't sound as good as IEMs.

Right now I'm leaning towards Fidelity Duals / Livewires, but still have some learning to do.  Decisions, decisions...
Roland R-05

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 10:34:06 PM »
I've had a good experience with the low end westones. The ergonomics are great, and for some reason there is much less microphonic noice from the cable, footfalls, etc.

-Noah 
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com