Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AES--->coax rca cable  (Read 6166 times)

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Re:AES--->coax rca cable
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2004, 06:14:44 PM »
I posted a question related to this in another forum.  Would I have any issues if I made one of these cables to go from my Fostex D-5(AEs) -> m-audio DiO 2496 Coax?

-Kevin

silverbullet

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: AES--->coax rca cable
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2004, 09:17:10 AM »
I'm still a little confused between AES 1 (consumer) and AES2. Can run a AES to coax cable to my DAT M1 in both cases? Which is prefered? AES outputs are digital right versus the analog xlr mic outputs on the back of the V3? Man, those analog mic outputs put out a very hot signal.

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2004, 10:37:37 AM »
Just for the sake of argument and continued edumucation, these are stolen from the Oade forum:

#71, "RE: DIY aes/ebu > spdif cable?"
In response to In response to 1

Hi!
 It is more a matter of voltage levels than impedance. I would use a transformer, it is a good solution and allows your connection to meet spec, not a bad idea when daisy chains are involved. I have not tried it, but tapers tell me they use a standard XLR to RCA cable (wired for audio) without a transformer and it works.
   peace...Doug
==================

#118, "RE: DIY aes/ebu > spdif cable?"
In response to In response to 7

Mike, another thing to think about is long term reliability of the chips. The S/PDIF voltage standard is 0.5 volts. Many use 1.0 volts, but the AES/EBU standard uses 9 volts. This might result in failure on some S/PDIF inputs as they only expect 0.5 to 1.0 volts. An output stage designed to drive a 110 ohm load will not be properly terminated into 75 ohms. The long term current sinking capacity of the output stage is another issue. I would not worry about it if I had to do it, but if I had a choice, I would use the transformer. Those pulse transformers are small and can be placed into an XLRM connector. I would use 75 ohm wire as that would allow me to add the transformer later. Probably worth the trouble...Doug

That's the real reason to do it right! Apparently, per Mr. Skalinder, the non-conconvential methods works too (nice and simple)...YMMV but I wouldn't want to stress the components.  It is not that hard to make or buy the appropriate conversion cable.

peace
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2004, 10:47:43 AM »
That's the real reason to do it right! Apparently, per Mr. Skalinder, the non-conconvential methods works too (nice and simple)...YMMV but I wouldn't want to stress the components.  It is not that hard to make or buy the appropriate conversion cable.

Yeah, Jah's right - best not to stress the components.  After reading the Doug's post on the Oade board, I built my own AES > transformer > coax cable.  It's a breeze.  There are even (surprise) instructions and part numbers in the Archival Info forum.  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2004, 10:54:19 AM »
cool, my buddy Mike, who Doug was talking to, used the resistive network to drop the voltage...just another way to go.

peace
JAH
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

BobW

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2004, 11:04:24 AM »
More on the S/PDIF vs. AES/EBU for Techies

BTW, some equipment has trancievers with enough tolerence to not care about the voltage.
I would use a transformer to be safe with expensive gear.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com