Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mo' Booty? How to get a bit more bass in my rig...  (Read 8033 times)

Offline Zeke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mo' Booty? How to get a bit more bass in my rig...
« on: March 29, 2008, 11:56:13 PM »
Hey Y'all

I'm sort of a noob with a dozen or so shows under my belt.  I've been involved with music for many years though, just not on this end of the mic.

Oh, and I'm a bass player  >:D so that's one of the reasons I'd like to see a bit more low end oomph in my recordings.

My Gear:

Microphone Madness MM-HLSC-1 cards > MM Battery Box > iRiver H160 (w/rockbox)

I'm aware that these mics are known for a lite bass response, though I wasn't so aware of this before I bought them a few years ago.  The battery box has the ability to block bass freqs but I've got it set to 16 Hz (which probably means it's not blocking anything).

I record mostly loud rock shows, and I have been impressed with the ability of my rig to handle this.  I don't want to invest a bunch more in my rig -- if I could find some mics/preamp setup that could do what this one does but with better bass response I would probably sell what I have.  iRiver is staying though, at least for now.

So what would you experienced guys suggest?

I'm looking to stay battery portable, and I've seen alot of posts about the Church Audio stuff.  Would the sound quality be comparable but with more booty?

Thanks alot, this site has been invaluable to me so far and I want to thank all of you for that.

Zeke
GEAR:  Microphone Madness MM-HLSC-1 > MM Battery Box (minty fresh) > iRiver H160 w/Rockbox

jnorman34

Re: Mo' Booty? How to get a bit more bass in my rig...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 12:36:10 AM »
clearly, you are ready to upgrade your mics to acheive what you are after.  it depends heavily on what your budget is, and what kinds of conditions you record under.  omnis are going to give you the best bass response because they do not exhibit proximity effect like cards do, BUT you have to be able to carefully place omnis to get top quality recordings (and to avoid too much crowd noise), so they are often limited in large venues where you have no control over where you palce your mics. 

to get good quality when you are at a fair distance from a stage, you will need some pretty good quality mics, probably of hypercard configuration.  if you are regularly able to set up close to stage lip, cards can work fine.  for entry level, decent quality mics that can offer both card and hypercard (as well as omni), you might consider the akg blue line c391b's with multiple caps.  some folks like the SP C4s which also offer more than one capsule choice and are very affordable.  if you have a bigger budget than that, let us know and we will inundate you with a number of other mic choices.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 12:39:50 AM »
Number 1 consideration in any recording rig.... Microphone.  It's all about the transducer!  After that it's real estate... location, location, location.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

jnorman34

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 12:42:22 AM »
yo jammin - ck63's - yeah baby!!!

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 01:00:55 AM »

Probably the most underrated, most linear hyper available on the market!  Not 'cause I own it, just 'cause I've heard it.

MK41  is the other hyper with the mostest.  The cardioid debate gets very thick very quickly.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 01:01:46 AM »

Probably the most underrated, most linear hyper available on the market!  Not 'cause I own it, just 'cause I've heard it.

MK41  is the other hyper with the mostest.  The cardioid debate gets very thick very quickly.

How quickly I forget the MG21... shame shame.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 11:31:59 AM »
Dunno the MM stuff but if they are like what they are made of there is plenty of bass.

If you see the specs for the mic capsule they need 16K terminating or so.
Perhaps the iriver has a lower impedance?
I suspect that may cause a (relative) lack of bass.

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 01:34:43 PM »
Add EQ post.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 02:01:58 PM »
Hey Y'all

I'm sort of a noob with a dozen or so shows under my belt.  I've been involved with music for many years though, just not on this end of the mic.

Oh, and I'm a bass player  >:D so that's one of the reasons I'd like to see a bit more low end oomph in my recordings.

My Gear:

Microphone Madness MM-HLSC-1 cards > MM Battery Box > iRiver H160 (w/rockbox)

I'm aware that these mics are known for a lite bass response, though I wasn't so aware of this before I bought them a few years ago.  The battery box has the ability to block bass freqs but I've got it set to 16 Hz (which probably means it's not blocking anything).

I record mostly loud rock shows, and I have been impressed with the ability of my rig to handle this.  I don't want to invest a bunch more in my rig -- if I could find some mics/preamp setup that could do what this one does but with better bass response I would probably sell what I have.  iRiver is staying though, at least for now.

So what would you experienced guys suggest?

I'm looking to stay battery portable, and I've seen alot of posts about the Church Audio stuff.  Would the sound quality be comparable but with more booty?

Thanks alot, this site has been invaluable to me so far and I want to thank all of you for that.

Zeke

Hello Zeke,

I've never used  an iRiver H160. I'm an Edirol R-09 user plus a HLSC-1 pair. Yes, the bass is not it's strong feature if you're looking for earth shaking,deep bass. But it has a very nice bass. Tight, controled and well defined. No worries about HPF on post and so on. But you can always add a touch of bass later. Just a touch would be more than enough, trust me. My 2 cents.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 02:07:35 PM »
Add EQ post.

Can't boost what was never captued.  Additionally, who wants to deal with that after every show.  Capture the recording right the first time IMO...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 02:15:39 PM »
Add EQ post.

Can't boost what was never captued.  Additionally, who wants to deal with that after every show.  Capture the recording right the first time IMO...

Hey Javier, how are you? I agree 100% with your remarks. But this is not exactly what happens with the HLSC-1. In my extremely humble opinion, it does capture bass all right. Not a huge amount of bass, but more than enough for you to add a little touch on the lower frequencies and make it more pleasant to listen. ;)
Take care

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 02:19:09 PM »
Add EQ post.

Hey Javier, how are you? I agree 100% with your remarks. But this is not exactly what happens with the HLSC-1. In my extremely humble opinion, it does capture bass all right. Not a huge amount of bass, but more than enough for you to add a little touch on the lower frequencies and make it more pleasant to listen. ;)
Take care

Doin well my freind!

Hey, if you want to take the time and EQ after every show, have at it!   I think I would just EQ on my stereo instead....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 03:26:55 PM »
Add EQ post.

Take care

Doin well my freind!

Hey, if you want to take the time and EQ after every show, have at it!   I think I would just EQ on my stereo instead....

That's also good idea  ;D

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 11:37:46 PM »
Add EQ post.

^^that guy is more ofter right than wrong.   fact.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 11:02:04 AM »
When I used the HLSC I got LOTS of bass frequencies (A bit too much for me, but was easy to EQ).

Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com