Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How Would You Mic This Place?  (Read 2739 times)

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
How Would You Mic This Place?
« on: December 01, 2011, 12:02:11 AM »
Chamber music.  There will be an audience.

http://www.provincetownplayhouse.com/news.html

I'm guessing the room sounds awful and thinking spaced cards.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
Re: How Would You Mic This Place?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 02:53:26 AM »
Found good photos here

http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/music/provincetown/images

Unamplified? Healy method omni onstage. (capsules 18cm apart facing outward)

Amplified? Access to catwalk? Hang cardioids.

Otherwise get best seat you can, and clamp to seat. Raise mics as high as you can without annoying the people behind you. (An offer of copies can do a lot to aid this)

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 07:32:03 AM »
There appears to be a projector hanging dead center 1/2 up the stairs.  Seek permission to gently clamp on to it.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 08:17:53 AM »
I love the layout of that room for taping.  If you can run spaced cards on stage left and right, there's a little nook on either side.  That way the entire audience is behind you and raised up.

Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 10:06:45 AM »
What will be the chamber group's instrumentation?
If the room is too dead, try to get those black curtains around the stage pulled back or raised.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:35:39 PM »
I bet that room sounds great with chamber music up front.  Get close, like front row or on-stage. Grab the center front row seat to the right of the isle and you are golden. With no one in front of you the mics can be low without sonic worries, or even worn.

There appears to be a projector hanging dead center 1/2 up the stairs.  Seek permission to gently clamp on to it.

Interesting idea, but much too far back into the reverberance for acoustic chamber music, IMO.  However, the reverberance of that high-ceiling-shoebox style space probably sounds nice and lush from up front.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

zowie

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 02:35:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies and the additional phots.  It's accoustic. String duos, trios.

I'll have a front seat.  I'll see about opening the curtains -- who knows what's behind them.  It'd be great if they had a shell but I don't know.

Scoobie -- any reason you suggest healy rather than 40cm-1m facing forward of slightly in?

Any thought that cards might be better to cut down on audience noise and that there won't be deep bass?

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 03:09:32 PM »
Small venue, small stage, smaller footprint. One stand instead of two or a very wide bar.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 03:18:26 PM »
I wouldn't expect too much audience noise. Chamber music audiences are usually pretty good about being quiet for the most part, with exceptions for a few coughers, page rustlers candy un-rappers and fidgeters.  Those nice seats look new and squeek free.  In the front row the issue is less critical than a row or two back.  Running the mics low can also help since the patrons in the front row will somewhat block and direct audience noise from behind, but you'll still get good room reverberance from above.

Hard to say on the curtains or shell without hearing them play the room, those early reflections can really go either way.  IME, I sometimes find shell reflections screw up the sound at the recording position for things other than choral groups, even though the shell can make it easier for the musicians to hear themselves and play well.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

zowie

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 03:30:25 PM »
Thanks again to all.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com