Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SONOSAX SX-R4+ & SX-AD8+ Delayed  (Read 25861 times)

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: SONOSAX SX-R4+ & SX-AD8+ Delayed
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2015, 12:22:21 AM »
... I am increasingly sorry I sold my trusty R-44 so I could buy this vaporware.  :facepalm:

I feel your pain. I ended up selling one of my SX-M2's to help with the deposit. Almost sold my trusty 744 too.... glad I didn't go that far.

Offline kingkita

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2015, 08:49:05 AM »
I haven't sold any gear yet cause I knew there always be issues with new products,but when we all get them it will be worth the wait. Pierre told me end of last month said they where going threw firmware issues with the beta testers.when I asked him a million and 1 questions for the 3 rd time.about the unit.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2015, 11:14:45 AM »
Apparently they are shipping in Europe this coming week - Jacques Sax posted a pic of the production line here:

http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/23419-sonosax-sx-r4/&page=15

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline RichT

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2015, 02:57:27 PM »
I currently own an SX-R4+

I expect it currently does most things you guys will require it for- currently the main software missing function is lack of pre-fade isos and the ability to assign fader knobs to tracks which aren't the 4 XLR inputs.  This is due to be rectified in the next major firmware update, however.  I expect just down to the newness of the machine that there's still some bugs in there, although I haven't found any yet.

From the headphone amp at least it sounds cleaner than the R4 in my opinion.  Yet to record any music with it, but have a job in about a week's time to give it a go

User interface is fantastic- touchscreen allows very fast operation, quick metadata and setting changes.  It's also big enough to actually work with your fingers and the knob to the right adjusts any numeric settings .  Wifi interface also works: meter display, track arming/disarming, record enable and metadata entry are usable through any smartphone/tablet/computer through a web interface rather than an app.  Found that iOS devices need to have the R4+ join their network rather than vice-versa.

Battery info is very accurate with smbus type batteries- an RRC 2054 48Whr will last over 8hrs in the machine (depending on settings).  It's also possible to power additional equipment from the DC out connector.  Power draw seems to be similar to the older R4

There's quite an in-depth video (35mins) with Pierre from Sonosax on the R4+ here:
http://vimeopro.com/ipstv/ips-tv-at-ibc-2015/video/139461486

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2015, 08:35:58 PM »
Update on US availability of the R4+

http://www.sonosax.ch/news/SONONEWS_2015_10_EN.pdf

SONOSAX SX-R4+ U.S. Version

Most of you already know the sad story, as one is suspecting that the technology we use to achieve
a dynamic range of 135dB in our new SONOSAX SX-R4+ may infringe a US patent, we had to
suspend the delivery of the SX-R4+ in the USA. We still studying the technical aspect and also the
legal terms of this patent; this may take a while….

We know that this situation has raised number of frustrations in the USA and it is our sincere wish to
satisfy our loyal clients and not to neglect the US market generally speaking. Therefore, we are
proud to announce the introduction of a special U.S. version of the SONOSAX SX-R4+.

This U.S. version will make use of one A/D converter only, providing a dynamic range of 114dB. All
other aspects such as the superb sonic performances and all the features remain exactly the same
as on the world version. This modification is reversible for those who may leave the USA.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2015, 08:39:35 PM »
Anyone know whose patent?
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2015, 09:10:07 PM »
Zaxcom
LMA Recordings

List

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2015, 11:44:53 AM »

Most of you already know the sad story, as one is suspecting that the technology we use to achieve
a dynamic range of 135dB in our new SONOSAX SX-R4+ may infringe a US patent, we had to
suspend the delivery of the SX-R4+ in the USA. We still studying the technical aspect and also the

We know that this situation has raised number of frustrations in the USA and it is our sincere wish to
satisfy our loyal clients and not to neglect the US market generally speaking. Therefore, we are
proud to announce the introduction of a special U.S. version of the SONOSAX SX-R4+.

This U.S. version will make use of one A/D converter only, providing a dynamic range of 114dB. All
other aspects such as the superb sonic performances and all the features remain exactly the same
as on the world version. This modification is reversible for those who may leave the USA.

So wait, should I wait around for this or just get the Zoom at 1/5 the price?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2015, 07:57:27 PM »
SONOSAX SX-R4+ recorder, announcing the US  version; to be seen at the AES Convention in New York
They will have units at the  AES Convention to take place October 29-November 1 at the Jacob Javits Center...go lay your hands on it an the Zoom F8 report back

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Online pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2015, 09:46:11 PM »

Interesting.  I wonder how one might reverse that modification?  Hypothetically of course.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2015, 08:20:18 AM »

Interesting.  I wonder how one might reverse that modification?  Hypothetically of course.

It would be a software update - because if they find that they are, in fact, not infringing the patent, then they have to have it easily reversable.

Also - it will also depend on how long the patent runs so they can reverse it when the patent runs out.

If it's just a US patent, maybe the world version is available in Canada ???

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2015, 09:08:46 AM »
^ If it is fixable by software, it seems like it would be pretty easy to "hack" a US version if Sonosax were to, say, post an update for European users...

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2015, 02:19:44 PM »
I don't suppose Sonosax will be reducing the deck's price in the U.S. market due to the anxiety to their customers and hobbled (albeit reversable) dynamic range?  ;)

Offline kingkita

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2015, 01:58:31 PM »

It would be a software update - because if they find that they are, in fact, not infringing the patent, then they have to have it easily reversable.

Also - it will also depend on how long the patent runs so they can reverse it when the patent runs out.

If it's just a US patent, maybe the world version is available in Canada ???

They told me last week it would just need a firmware update to reverse it back to 135db.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2015, 01:22:21 PM »
If you want to read the whole story about the Zaxcom vs Sonosax Patent war see:

See Sonosax's statement:
http://sonosax.ch/recorders/sx-r4p/AUDIO_PATENTS.pdf

Zaxcom's reply a few post after Jac's:
http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/23419-sonosax-sx-r4/&page=21

From Sonosax viewpoint (which personally I'd trust over Zaxcom) - Basically Zaxcom patented an existing concept and threatened to take legal action if Sonosax released the unhindered version in the US.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 01:24:25 PM by H₂O »
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.174 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com