Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: need help finding optical connector (mucho newbie)  (Read 1663 times)

Offline DCDireWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know
need help finding optical connector (mucho newbie)
« on: July 18, 2004, 08:46:53 PM »
Hey there good tapers . . .

I recently bought an iRiver H140 because I wanted a .ogg player and a new toy. 

And since it has recording capabilities, I figured I'd plunge into the hobby.  While I research and save up cash for all the equipment, in the meantime, I'm just going to try to patch in to folks at shows. 

So of course I need a cable that goes from the optical in jack on my iRiver, to some kind person's or soundboard engineer's optical out jack, (which I'm told will be llikely be a pin connection?).

I've looked online for such an animal, but because i'm woefully new at this and don't understand the terminology, I'm not sure what i need to buy.

Can someone point me in the right direction?  What is the exact name of the connector/cable I need?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 09:38:25 PM by DCDireWolf »
"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."  -Jerry Garcia

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Re: need help finding optical connector (mucho newbie)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 10:20:00 PM »
sounds like you're looking for a sony 7-pin?

but i don't see why you would need that. just a straight optic cable should do it if you get an optic patch.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline DCDireWolf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 10:46:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I'm confused though, on my device, the optical in is a round port that any old analog cord seems to fit into (analog cable, headphones, whatever).  The optical out that I patch into however, seems to be a square (pin?) type optical port (although I guess it depends on what I'm patching into on any given night?). 

Wouldn't a regular optical cable be the same on both ends?  Does somebody make a cable that is different on each end to fit my situation, or is there some sort of converter attachment I can buy?

Thanks again!
"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."  -Jerry Garcia

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 11:54:25 PM »
let me try not to confuse things any more than i have.

your optic in is a fem mini? btw i wouldn't try pluging a regular mini plug into it. not sure if it would hurt but probly woun't help.

your optic out is a regular toslink plug?

you could get a cable to match toslink>miniĀ  orĀ  toslink>toslink w/ an adapter. since "your" input is a mini optical plug, i'd go w/ the former.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline DCDireWolf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 07:39:44 AM »
Beautiful!  Thanks!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com